The Student Room Group

A-level option help

I'm going on to begin studying at AS level this year and need to make my final subject choices. I really want to go on after A-levels and study politics at uni(maybe with English) and I'm struggling to decide what would be the best combination. I'm 100% taking English literature and Law, but for my last two options I'm dithering over Geography, Sociology and Ethics/Philosophy. Can anyone taking politics(or a similar subject) at uni help with what subjects would help the most and be more recognised on an application in that subject area, thanks
Reply 1
To do politics at uni, as far as I'm aware, there's no necessary subjects you have to take so basically do what you enjoy! I think maybe geography would be a good idea as its a bit different to english, shows balance. Maybe consider maths or a science if youre any good? Keeps your options open if you change your mind

Posted from TSR Mobile
Take English lit, Philosophy, Sociology and drop Law for History.
It really depends on what section of politics interests you. Geography would be better if you want to look at international politics, because I think that's covered in Human Geography. Sociology is okay, but doesn't really make you stand out, nor does it really have much of a political focus. Ethics/ Philosophy is a pretty traditional subject to take if you want to take traditional politics- so that's mostly stuff like UK politics and political ideology. What's also really good is languages but I think a lot of people shudder at the thought of that so it doesn't really put you at a disadvantage if you don't have one.

As for the subjects you take now, Law is great, but you may want to consider taking language instead of literature, or maybe both. Especially in law, you have to learn how the wording of laws can change their actual meaning and so on, so English Language would be really really useful in that respect.

Quick Reply

Latest