The Student Room Group

Need a huge bit of advice.

This is gonna be a long one,

Basically, i'm in a situation where i don't want to go to my insurance choice (The University of Hull), despite having an unconditional offer. I understand if I miss my firm choice (The University of Manchester), I wouldn't have to worry, as my place would be secured, at Hull, though I don't really want to go anymore if I miss Manchester.

Should I phone Hull and ask them to cancel/withdraw my offer? This would mean that if I miss Manchester, I would go straight to clearing, which would mean that I would have a chance at getting into a university I would prefer going to, on the grounds of university location (would rather be in a more 'vibrant' city, so to say), and also a more reputable university.

I understand that if I did this, there is a chance I wouldn't get a uni place at all. Therefore I have a few questions.

How quickly do clearing places go? I know that's an open ended question, but do clearing places at more reputable universites go quickly (i.e - within an hour of results, 2 hours, a day, 2 days or whatever) - More specifically, for my course (History / History and Sociology / History and Politics - all course I would wish to phone universities about)

Also, how long would Hull take to release me and withdraw my offer? Results day is in like 2 weeks so if they're gonna take ages, I know i've got to hurry up with my decision and get things sorted.

Thank you in advance, this is a difficult situation to be in and would appreciate ANY advice or recommendations.
Original post by rosswj96
This is gonna be a long one,

Basically, i'm in a situation where i don't want to go to my insurance choice (The University of Hull), despite having an unconditional offer. I understand if I miss my firm choice (The University of Manchester), I wouldn't have to worry, as my place would be secured, at Hull, though I don't really want to go anymore if I miss Manchester.

Should I phone Hull and ask them to cancel/withdraw my offer? If you are absolutely certain you don't want to go to Hull under any circumstances. There is no going back. This would mean that if I miss Manchester, I would go straight to clearing, which would mean that I would have a chance at getting into a university I would prefer going to, on the grounds of university location (would rather be in a more 'vibrant' city, so to say), and also a more reputable university.

I understand that if I did this, there is a chance I wouldn't get a uni place at all. Therefore I have a few questions.

How quickly do clearing places go? On popular courses, very quickly. Unpopular ones are still available in September. I know that's an open ended question, but do clearing places at more reputable universites go quickly (i.e - within an hour of results, 2 hours, a day, 2 days or whatever) - More specifically, for my course (History / History and Sociology / History and Politics - all course I would wish to phone universities about) Very quickly. Don't hang about.

Also, how long would Hull take to release me and withdraw my offer? On results day, you will be a very low priority for their staff. It could be hours, days or even a week. Results day is in like 2 weeks so if they're gonna take ages, I know i've got to hurry up with my decision and get things sorted. If you really want to get rid of your Hull offer, do it now, in advance. This will save a lot of time and anguish on the day. Be very sure, but get on with it now if you are.

Thank you in advance, this is a difficult situation to be in and would appreciate ANY advice or recommendations.

See bold above.
... my firm choice (The University of Manchester)...

...would rather be in a more 'vibrant' city...

LAWL.

You heard of London?
Reply 3
Original post by titanicteutonicphil
lawl.

You heard of london?

i was on about hull
Reply 4
I actually have a very similar situation my friend (Leeds firm, Hull unconditional insurance). And the way I see it, you may also be taking a risk through clearing, in the sense that you may not find a course that is both interesting and in a more "vibrant" city. Or if you have researched it and found some more preferable options, you also can't guarantee they're gonna have spaces clear come results day.

It's a big gamble, just make sure you're certain that you don't want to go as somebody else mentioned.
Reply 5
Original post by laimliam
I actually have a very similar situation my friend (Leeds firm, Hull unconditional insurance). And the way I see it, you may also be taking a risk through clearing, in the sense that you may not find a course that is both interesting and in a more "vibrant" city. Or if you have researched it and found some more preferable options, you also can't guarantee they're gonna have spaces clear come results day.

It's a big gamble, just make sure you're certain that you don't want to go as somebody else mentioned.

It's a big gamble and i'm still unsure. I've 'registered my interest' with a few universities regarding clearing spaces already, giving them my predicted grades and a phone number etc. Still unsure haha
Reply 6
It's a big gamble and i'm still unsure. I've 'registered my interest' with a few universities regarding clearing spaces already, giving them my predicted grades and a phone number etc. Still unsure haha

If it were me (which it is haha :wink:) I'd leave it as it is if you're not 100%. It's re-assuring knowing there is an unconditional insurance waiting. Plus, nothing could go wrong and you may end up at Manchester! Who knows. But you may not get more reputable universities through clearing (I doubt many universities lower their offers in clearing, do they? I could be wrong), and if the course is good, it may be worth sticking with it. On the plus side, it's a big northern city so drink and food prices are v cheap as well as house prices (handy for 2nd and 3rd years).

But that's just my two cents and I'm not you, my friend :smile:
Reply 7
I'm curious, what is clearing?
Is it just enrolment for courses?
Original post by Guy123
I'm curious, what is clearing?
Is it just enrolment for courses?

Clearing is where you miss your offer and didnt have one or or missed ucas extra so you can apply for degrees by using a clearing number from ucas and contacting the unis yourself.
Reply 9
So it's like a second chance?
Original post by Guy123
So it's like a second chance?

It's the process by which applicants without places are matched to universities with spaces.

Sometimes applicants don't have places because they were rejected from all the unis they applied to (rare) or because they applied very late (uncommon, usually mature students), because they've missed the grades they needed for their firm and insurance choice (very common) or because they've changed their mind about where they want to go / what they want to study (fairly common).

So yes, it does act as a second chance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending