The Student Room Group

Why are people so bitter towards 'spoiled' kids

I would just like to know people's views on this as I find this topic interesting. I have been called spoilt multiple times by numerous people, but I myself don't think i'm spoiled, I am just very lucky to have parents that are willing to buy me nice things, what's so bad about that?!!
Example of conversation
"My dad just booked my driving test for me!"
"OMG YOU'RE SO SPOILT ://///////"

Scroll to see replies

Half the time spoiled kids are brats.
Reply 2
Original post by Ed's Balls
Half the time spoiled kids are brats.

But i'm not a brat! I'm very thankful for everything my parents do for me!
Because they wish people would do such fantastically nice things for them. You'll often find that spoilt kids don't fully appreciate what their parents go through.
Original post by meganrayc
But i'm not a brat! I'm very thankful for everything my parents do for me!

That's why I said only half the time :wink:
Children that whine or brag about the things their parents bought them are very annoying.
My family only started becoming ridiculously wealthy a few years ago. Actually we are still kind of broke :tongue:

Most people I meet just assume I've been rich all my life but they don't think I'm a spoilt prat for the most part. At most they just call me "posh".
I would just like to know people's views on this as I find this topic interesting. I have been called spoilt multiple times by numerous people, but I myself don't think i'm spoiled, I am just very lucky to have parents that are willing to buy me nice things, what's so bad about that?!!
Example of conversation
"My dad just booked my driving test for me!"
"OMG YOU'RE SO SPOILT ://///////"

People are only bitter towards spoiled kids if they act like life is easy for everyone just because it's easy for them.

Example:
One girl I know lately announced that she's having meetings with lawyers, so can't come out on that day. I asked why, and she goes "oh, my parents bought me a flat in Knightsbridge, so it's about being a landlord".

Now this is the same girl who a few weeks earlier went off on one about how "wow, some people only have £800 in their bank account? How do they survive?" and "but it's so easy to get a job, I mean 65k is average isn't it"

She is a lovely girl in all other respects and I like spending time with her, but stuff like this^ bugs people. If you've been born lucky, then acknowledge that you're lucky, and don't rub it in people's faces.

Equally I knew a girl whose father is worth $3 billion or something and quite frankly none of us knew until someone recognised her dad and Googled to double check. She's not a dick about it at all. Some rich people are.

In short, don't be an arrogant arse and you'll be fine
Reply 9
"omg you're so spoilt":biggrin:
Original post by Катя

In short, don't be an arrogant arse and you'll be fine

Or rather, be aware that you are highly privileged compared to most and be attentive of what you say/how you act.
People are right to be bitter about people who are actually "spoilt". But some people just use that word whenever they see someone get something from their parents, regardless of how reasonable it is.

My parents and grandparents paid for my driving lessons and test, and my grandad bought me my first car. I wouldn't consider something like that as being "spoilt".
Original post by somnacin
Or rather, be aware that you are highly privileged compared to most and be attentive of what you say/how you act.

Yes, that :tongue: thank you
Reply 13

hahahaha
Reply 14
Original post by RFowler
People are right to be bitter about people who are actually "spoilt". But some people just use that word whenever they see someone get something from their parents, regardless of how reasonable it is.

My parents and grandparents paid for my driving lessons and test, and my grandad bought me my first car. I wouldn't consider something like that as being "spoilt".

Yeah, I know what you mean! I have this one friend and anything my parents do for me or buy me he always mentions that i'm spoilt! I am not an ungrateful person at all but he makes it seem that way because they do so much for me!
It's as if he's making me out to be a bad person for it when i'm not!!
Original post by RFowler

I dunno mate, that is a lot of money. They basically handed you £1000+, PLUS a bloody car.

"Spoilt" is a strong word, but...
Reply 16
Original post by pauly9090
I dunno mate, that is a lot of money. They basically handed you £1000+, PLUS a bloody car.

"Spoilt" is a strong word, but...

My parents done the same for me, but I don't see that as being spoilt.. I see that as them helping you to get onto your feet and set you up for life.
Reply 17
But an 11 yr old kid with an iPhone 6.. I see no need in this?
My parents done the same for me, but I don't see that as being spoilt.. I see that as them helping you to get onto your feet and set you up for life.

And yet, the rest of us have to earn that money ourselves.

It's about perspective, and tbh the answer to OP's question is because a lot of the time, rich kids don't even know that they're spoilt.
Original post by pauly9090
I dunno mate, that is a lot of money. They basically handed you £1000+, PLUS a bloody car."Spoilt" is a strong word, but...

I can't really manage without some form of car to get around, and I had absolutely no way of paying for it myself. I still don't, but I might be able to if I ever manage to find a job. Which, by the way, I would almost certainly require a car to get to.

For me, "spoilt" would be having your parents buy you lots of unnecessary stuff, and you come to expect that sort of thing from them, rather than as a nice occasional treat, if you know what I mean (sorry if I'm not explaining it very well).
I wouldn't include driving lessons and a car in that, unless for example they get something really fancy with an unnecessarily big engine (and higher insurance costs). That's something you buy yourself when you have a job and the money to pay for it.

Quick Reply