The Student Room Group

CfE Advanced Higher Biology 2015/2016

Scroll to see replies

What do you guys think of the plant ones?
I studied human biology last year, was planning to do a microbiology/human type one, but my teacher told us that we can't do the same projects.
I couldn't decide on what to do so in the end no one is doing plants and I took it...
Reply 61
Original post by Junioh
What do you guys think of the plant ones?
I studied human biology last year, was planning to do a microbiology/human type one, but my teacher told us that we can't do the same projects.
I couldn't decide on what to do so in the end no one is doing plants and I took it...

I guess there is quite a lot to write about plants...what are you investigating? Effect of growth with light/ph/humidity etc? Someone in my class is doing algae balls which looks fairly interesting.
Original post by muchensmile
I guess there is quite a lot to write about plants...what are you investigating? Effect of growth with light/ph/humidity etc? Someone in my class is doing algae balls which looks fairly interesting.

I have no clue at all(which is very worrying..)
any recommendations?
Reply 63
Original post by Junioh
I have no clue at all(which is very worrying..)
any recommendations?

Something about plant hormones?
http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/practical-biology/interpreting-investigation-plant-hormones

It was a topic in higher bio so there should be some info on it on revision websites
Something about plant hormones?
http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/practical-biology/interpreting-investigation-plant-hormones

It was a topic in higher bio so there should be some info on it on revision websites

okay thanks muchensmile I'd better stop procrastinating and get some work done :biggrin:
what are you doing for yours?
Reply 65
Original post by Junioh
okay thanks muchensmile I'd better stop procrastinating and get some work done :biggrin:
what are you doing for yours?

transformation of plasmids, and testing out variables such as temperature and then growing the bacteria on antibiotic plates to see if it worked
transformation of plasmids, and testing out variables such as temperature and then growing the bacteria on antibiotic plates to see if it worked

Nice! quite unusual I would say, never heard of this one!
Was gonna do microbes but someone in my school a few years ago grew something dodgy and I am worried that might be me this year so I stayed away from microbiology :/
Reply 67
Original post by Junioh
Nice! quite unusual I would say, never heard of this one!
Was gonna do microbes but someone in my school a few years ago grew something dodgy and I am worried that might be me this year so I stayed away from microbiology :/

"Dodgy" haha, only problem is I will have to make many replicates/controls meaning an excess of 40 petri dishes :frown:
"Dodgy" haha, only problem is I will have to make many replicates/controls meaning an excess of 40 petri dishes :frown:

wow... The smell of agar is revolting!! feel sorry for you mate...
But apparently it scores pretty well? (according to my teacher)
Anyone got a guide for using previous past papers? If anyone has any guide on pp use please let me know, It'd be very helpful :tongue:
Original post by HiddenNinja01
Anyone got a guide for using previous past papers? If anyone has any guide on pp use please let me know, It'd be very helpful :tongue:

I am pretty sure there is one on the sqa website
Original post by redddddd
I am pretty sure there is one on the sqa website

There's only an exemplar paper guide but not a pp guide, Thanks anyways :wink:
There's only an exemplar paper guide but not a pp guide, Thanks anyways :wink:

Is this what you are talking about?
http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/BiologySQPAHPPGuidance.pdf

Yup, this is the closest thing to what I was looking for,
CfE adv higher bio is so hard, im currently studying for the prelim on the 7th and literally nothings going in. Does anyone have any study tips??
Original post by The999Theory
CfE adv higher bio is so hard, im currently studying for the prelim on the 7th and literally nothings going in. Does anyone have any study tips??

I recommend making flash cards if you have time to do so, the way I made my flash cards was through scholar.

You could also use this http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/AHCUSNBiology.pdf and look at the mandatory course key areas, you could create flash cards/ notes out of that or anything that suits your learning habits.

I would also recommend attempting the Exemplar and Specimen paper for cfe AH Biology as it would allow you to have a rough idea on question structures.

I hope this helps, and good luck on your prelim :smile:
I'm also worried as little material is out to help me with the prelim but oh well, worrying too much won't make revision any easier :s-smilie:
Original post by The999Theory

At AH the hardest part of the course is learning how to answer the questions. I'd recommend past papers (as disgustingly boring they are)
Original post by Pennyarcade
At AH the hardest part of the course is learning how to answer the questions. I'd recommend past papers (as disgustingly boring they are)

Good luck finding any relevant past papers because my teachers couldn't. There is a specimen and exemplar paper to look at though, so at least there is something.
Original post by Zain-A
Good luck finding any relevant past papers because my teachers couldn't. There is a specimen and exemplar paper to look at though, so at least there is something.

Revised AH papers are pretty relevant, my teacher said so anyways.
But as you said I'd first use the exemplar and specimen paper, and after that you could attempt relevant pastpapers from revised AH, I would mostly only use the essays at the end of the paper as they are mostly relevant to the cfe course and since not many essay questions are there to look at It's quite useful
Reply 79
Revised AH papers are pretty relevant, my teacher said so anyways.
But as you said I'd first use the exemplar and specimen paper, and after that you could attempt relevant pastpapers from revised AH, I would mostly only use the essays at the end of the paper as they are mostly relevant to the cfe course and since not many essay questions are there to look at It's quite useful

Yeah I guess we could pick questions that seem relevant to the course and to them...not much else we could do :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending