The Student Room Group

AS Results Day FAQ & Advice Thread: What's next? - 13 August 2015

Great job to everyone collecting their results today! I'm sure that there will be lots to celebrate (as is typical TSR fashion :tongue:), but for some of you, you may be left a little disappointed. This thread is here to help you plan for the next year at sixth form and help you make the best decisions for your future no matter your results!

If you're feeling a little bit underwhelmed by how you've done, you can check out our Didn't do as well as you hoped? thread for some stellar advice. If you're feeling okay, why not join the chat in our results day discussion thread!? And if you're super keen, you can even check out our grade boundaries thread, which will have them uploaded as the exam boards publish them!

What will my results slip look like?

With your AS results, you will receive a breakdown of all your modules (including grades and marks) and your overall grade for the AS level (provided that your school has cashed your grades in). This is what it looks like!

As you can see, you get your overall UMS marks, and your module UMS marks independently. Depending on the qualification, your total UMS will add up to being out of 200 or 300. If you're confused about how UMS works, we have a handy guide to explain all of this for you!
The UMS grade boundaries will always stay the same, so for example, it will always be 80% UMS for an A. So if your qualification is out of 200 or 300, then that's 160/200 or 240/300 for an A!

If you lose your results slip, you can request another one be issued to you from your examinations officer if you ask while it's still relatively close to results day

Will I receive a certificate for my AS levels?

If your results have been cashed in, then you will get a certificate for the AS levels you've achieved. If you've received an overall AS grade on your results slip, then you know your results have been cashed in! Your school/college will usually get these certificates around about October and give you them then, however, some institutions might choose not to give out these certificates until a later date.

It's important that you keep this certificate in a safe place as it acts as proof of your results for employers and universities. This is especially important if you plan to drop a subject after AS, because it will be your only proof of attainment in that subject!

How do your AS results contribute to the full A-level?

If you plan to take a subject to A2 to achieve a full A-level, then your AS results will contribute to your final grade. However, A2 modules are not weighted more heavily, so your AS marks contribute to your final grade just as much as the A2 marks. This means that the two marks simply add together to give your final grade. So if an A in the full A-level requires 320/400 UMS, then any combination of marks from both the AS level and A2 level modules that add up to 320+ will give you an A!

Should I retake an AS module to maximise my UMS?

AS modules are often considered easier than A2 modules due to their shorter length and relatively shallower depeth, so it's common for students to retake an AS module to try to get as high a grade as they can in the full A-level, or to take pressure off of them for the A2 modules. If you look at the module breakdown for each subject, one can sometimes be drastically lower than the others, and this can be a good module to retake. However, retaking is an extremely personal choice. So you will have to think personally about whether or not you want to retake a module (do you feel that you really did do the best that you can possibly do in that module? Or are you not happy with the B that you achieved and want to try for an A?) - outside of yourself, your teachers will be the best people to ask about whether or not retaking a module will be worth it in the long run.

Remember that if you do resit a module, then you'll be sitting that exam in June along with the rest of your A2 exams. So this added pressure on performance is something that's worth considering.

How do I achieve an A* at A-level?

To get an A* at A-level, you must have enough UMS over the full A-level to warrant an A grade (80%), with 90% UMS in your A2 modules.
This is slightly different in Maths and Further Maths.

For Maths, you need to get enough UMS in both your AS and A2 modules to warrant an A grade (80%), however you need a total mark of 180 UMS from C3 and C4.

For Further Maths, you need to average 90% on your top three A2 modules.

This can be a tricky business, so I've copied some case scenarios from previous years that should hopefully help you understand.

Case 1

You have achieved 150/200 (75%) UMS at AS-Level and have a B. You then score 180/200 (90%) UMS in your A2 modules giving you a score of 330/400 (82.5%) UMS in total. As you've satisfied both conditions, you will receive an A*.

Case 2

You have achieved 200/200 (100%) UMS at AS-Level and have an A. You then score 160/200 (80%) in your A2 modules giving you a score of 360/400 (90%) UMS in total. Although you have gained an average of 90% across all of your modules you don't have a 90% average at A2. Therefore, you will not receive an A*.

Although in case 2 the candidate did better at AS level, because they didn't satisfy both conditions they didn't get an A* at A Level.

There are a few circumstances where people who are not retaking AS modules cannot achieve an A at A-Level, but can achieve an A*.

Case 3

You have achieved 130/200 UMS (65%) (C) at AS-Level and have an A. You need 190/200 (95%) UMS (A) at A2 to have 320/400 (80%) UMS in total, and an A grade. This is enough to achieve an A* as you have achieved 90%.

However, if you score below 190/200 (95%) UMS (A) at A2, and get 185/200 UMS (92.5%) (A), you will not have enough UMS to reach 320/400 UMS in total. You will have a B grade.

There is also the circumstance in which the A* at A-Level is no longer possible, unless retakes of AS modules are done to improve the score.

Some teachers will tell you that to gain an A*, you need 90% in every module but as explained above this isn't the case. Even with your A2 modules, you only need 90% overall, meaning either 180/200 UMS or 270/300 UMS depending on the qualification. 80/100 and 100/100 in your A2 modules would still satisfy that condition.

Should I drop a subject after AS level/should I study more than 3 A-levels?

Most universities require applicants to have 3 full A-levels to gain admittance, it is therefore unwise to take less than 3 subjects onto A2 if you hope to go on to university, and many sixth forms won't allow people to do this because of this reason. However, it is very common for people to go from doing 4 subjects at AS level, to 3 subjects at A2. Which subject you drop is, again, an extremely personal decision that depends on your enjoyment, interest, ability and requirement for your subjects - it's obviously unwise to drop a subject you need for a university offer, whereas it may be a good choice to drop a subject you neither need nor enjoy. Like before, outside of yourself, the best people to ask about dropping a subject after AS will be your teachers or tutor at your school or college.

There are some students who feel they can cope with studying more than 3 A-levels, and may have a keen interest in more than 3 subjects. Occasionally, universities will offer lower conditions (than their 3 A-level counterparts) to students studying more than 3 A-levels. However, this is not always the case. Once a student has declared to a university through UCAS that they are taking 4 A-levels, then a university can make an offer based on those 4 A-levels, and if you choose to drop a subject during your A2 year, the university can withdraw your offer due to you no longer being able to meet the conditions they set.

I plan on taking both Maths and Further Maths to A2, can I still drop another AS subject?

Some universities do not accept Maths and Further Maths as 2 separate A-levels, and a combination of Maths, Further Maths and 1 more subject can be considered too narrow. You should do some research into universities you plan on applying to before making this choice!

Can universities see my AS results?

Yes. You must declare your AS results on your UCAS forum.

I did a full A-level this year, will universities count it as part of my offer?

This depends on the university. You will likely still be expected to take 3 full A-levels in upper sixth and will be given conditions based on them. Universities will make clear in their offer conditions whether or not they have considered your previously achieved A-level.

But hang on, what about this new A Level system? Will it have any affect on me?

Although the new A Level system will come into affect from September, please note that this will not have any affect on you if you are looking to doing any retakes. Most schools will be running the old and new system alongside each other as only certain subjects will be starting in September. For this reason, you would be able to retake but make sure that you talk to your school to make sure that you get entered for the right module.

How do I choose what universities to apply to?

Now that you've got your AS results, you'll be able to get a rough idea of what courses and universities you qualify to apply to. However, choosing a course and university is an extremely personal choice that nobody can make for you, but TSR' applying to uni hub has lots of great information to help you make this decision.

I'm planning on applying to Medicine/Vet Med/Dentistry/Oxbridge

If you've got any questions about applying to these courses or institutions, they're best asked in the TSR forums we have dedicated to this! However, before posting, please make sure to read any FAQs stickied at the top of the forum, and to read through the "useful resources" listed on the widget to the right of the forum. :smile:

Medicine
Veterinary Medicine
Dentistry
Oxbridge
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

I'm so nervous!!! :afraid: Praying for low history grade boundaries
Original post by Little_ramblings
I'm so nervous!!! :afraid: Praying for low history grade boundaries

Same! Did you do AS Level OCR History? French Revolution and Pitt-Peel? Probably not haha
Absolutely terrified... had to repeat year 12 because I got EEUU last year... :frown:
Original post by angelcake123
Same! Did you do AS Level OCR History? French Revolution and Pitt-Peel? Probably not haha

No I did AQA but i know someone who did OCR and said it was horrible!
Original post by vis break
I just know I'm gunna end up doing that next yeat :frown:
why didn't I just do hair and beauty...

Even if you do, it's not a bad thing, it just means that you were one of the many people who needed a trial year, so to speak. What career are you hoping for, what subjects are you doing?
Original post by emiloujess
Even if you do, it's not a bad thing, it just means that you were one of the many people who needed a trial year, so to speak. What career are you hoping for, what subjects are you doing?

Hoping to do something in Law, not too sure about the end career goal rn.
Im doing eng lang, politcs, history and maths. I don't think concentrated enough this year, kept getting D/E/U's on term tests :frown:
Hoping to do something in Law, not too sure about the end career goal rn.
Im doing eng lang, politcs, history and maths. I don't think concentrated enough this year, kept getting D/E/U's on term tests :frown:

Maybe it would be better to start the year again then IF you do end up with bad grades? RG unis still accept it :smile: It may feel like a waste of a year but I promise it's not bad at all, especially if you don't like your subjects, I only kept one of mine in the repeat year :biggrin:
Maybe it would be better to start the year again then IF you do end up with bad grades? RG unis still accept it :smile: It may feel like a waste of a year but I promise it's not bad at all, especially if you don't like your subjects, I only kept one of mine in the repeat year :biggrin:

Yeah, I mean tbh as much as I wouldn't enjoy re-doing the year. I do think that I would do better now, It took a while but I got the hang of sixth form. Did you do year 12 and 13 both this year or are you doing your A2's next year?
Yeah, I mean tbh as much as I wouldn't enjoy re-doing the year. I do think that I would do better now, It took a while but I got the hang of sixth form. Did you do year 12 and 13 both this year or are you doing your A2's next year?

I thought I'd hate it as well but I love my new college and think I would have regretted it if I'd followed the same career path as I wanted to then. I finished AS and am doing A2 from September (grades permitting, of course!)
I thought I'd hate it as well but I love my new college and think I would have regretted it if I'd followed the same career path as I wanted to then. I finished AS and am doing A2 from September (grades permitting, of course!)

Lol, I hope you do really well this year, you've reassured me quite alot. Thanks :smile:
Lol, I hope you do really well this year, you've reassured me quite alot. Thanks :smile:

Thank you, I hope you do much better than expected too :smile:
Original post by Little_ramblings
No I did AQA but i know someone who did OCR and said it was horrible!

Ahh I thought it was okay but during the exam, everyone around me was either crying, asking for tissues or tapping their pens:frown: it wasnt a brilliant paper, my teachers and others complained, so fingers crossed for low grade boundaries!
Original post by angelcake123
Ahh I thought it was okay but during the exam, everyone around me was either crying, asking for tissues or tapping their pens:frown: it wasnt a brilliant paper, my teachers and others complained, so fingers crossed for low grade boundaries!

Did you do two papers or one? For AQA we had to do two and the first paper and the second half of the second paper went well I feel but the first half of the second paper was awful and it's the section that's worth the most marks :frown: We had no history coursework this year either as we do it all in A2 so I just really need low grade boundaries!!!
Guys I am like terrified. This is my second year retaking Year 12 (Chemistry, Physics and maths). What can I do if I fail?! :frown:
Original post by DedicatedWizard
Guys I am like terrified. This is my second year retaking Year 12 (Chemistry, Physics and maths). What can I do if I fail?! :frown:

How did you do last year?
I'm reallly worried about my AS maths.. If i get AAAB (B in maths) it will seriously limit where I could apply to (as I want to study medicine) :frown:
Anyone do history, economics, psychology, religious studies or epq on here? Getting results this Thursday?
Reply 19
I'm really scared about my results to the point where I may of failed all 4. I honestly would not mind retaking the year if it means I can do better but I've been hearing how everything is being changed next year, from the specifications of exam boards and apparently all AS and A2 examinations are at the end of the A2 year? Does anyone know anything about this and can explain? I'm not too sure and would really not want to retake with this new way of teaching and examining :/

Quick Reply

Latest