The Student Room Group

These A-Levels for Law?

Psychology, English Literature and French??

OR

Psychology, Philosophy & Ethics and French??

Are either of these combinations suitable for a Law degree(Law with Psychology)?

Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Nadine_08
Psychology, English Literature and French??
OR
Psychology, Philosophy & Ethics and French??

Are either of these combinations suitable for a Law degree(Law with Psychology)?

Either is fine, the first option probably has the edge as English Literature is generally better regarded than Philosophy and Ethics.
Both combinations are. Many universities do not really ask for specific subjects, as long as they help you form coherent arguments and develop analytical skills.

English lit may be regarded as slightly stronger, as the poster above has said. Philosophy could potentially be useful for Law, too, however I don't have experience of studying it.
I would go for the first option but replace Psychology with Geography/History. English Lit is so useful for a Law degree and doing a language means you can apply for Law with French at UCL for example, thus expanding your degree possibilities.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by A-LevelEconomist
I would go for the first option but replace Psychology with Geography/History. English Lit is so useful for a Law degree and doing a language means you can apply for Law with French at UCL for example, thus expanding your degree possibilities.

Thank you

I wanted to do Law with Psychology though, so I think Psychology would be useful + I love Psychology :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Compost
Either is fine, the first option probably has the edge as English Literature is generally better regarded than Philosophy and Ethics.

Okay, thanks!
Reply 6
Original post by SarahLund
Both combinations are. Many universities do not really ask for specific subjects, as long as they help you form coherent arguments and develop analytical skills.

English lit may be regarded as slightly stronger, as the poster above has said. Philosophy could potentially be useful for Law, too, however I don't have experience of studying it.

Thank you!
Reply 7

I was actually considering Economics as well, would you say it's quite difficult?
Philosophy, French and History :tongue:
I was actually considering Economics as well, would you say it's quite difficult?

I think Economics,History/Geography and English Lit will be an absolutely perfect combination for Law.

Economics can get hard but really if you understand the content and know how to apply it, you will be fine. Also a large proportion of AS Geography is covered in a unit for A2 Economics. Both subjects really overlap which is good as it reduces the workload.

AS Economics consists of two units with one being focused on microeconomics and macroeconomics. The same applies for A2.

Also, Economics as an a level hardly has any maths in it. The only maths you would use would be for percentage change questions. Furthermore, the maths questions rarely come up in the papers, but if they do, they will only be worth around 4 marks and good practice should dispell any worries or anxiety you may have!

Good Luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
Would film studies, sociology and business studies be suitable for law at a russel group university? I realised many ask for traditional subjects

Posted from TSR Mobile
why would you want to study law?
Original post by diamondluck
Would film studies, sociology and business studies be suitable for law at a russel group university? I realised many ask for traditional subjects

Posted from TSR Mobile

No lol. Don't try and take easy subjects just so you think you'll get into a better Uni. Do at least 2 of the following: History, English Lit, Economics, Philosophy or Geography. If you don't think you'll get good grades in these, you have no chance in hell at Uni unfortunately regarding Law. This may sound harsh but it's what my teacher said as many people try taking easy subjects like the ones you mentioned just to get higher grades thinking they'll get into russel group.
Best of luck! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
I think Economics,History/Geography and English Lit will be an absolutely perfect combination for Law.

Economics can get hard but really if you understand the content and know how to apply it, you will be fine. Also a large proportion of AS Geography is covered in a unit for A2 Economics. Both subjects really overlap which is good as it reduces the workload.

AS Economics consists of two units with one being focused on microeconomics and macroeconomics. The same applies for A2.

Also, Economics as an a level hardly has any maths in it. The only maths you would use would be for percentage change questions. Furthermore, the maths questions rarely come up in the papers, but if they do, they will only be worth around 4 marks and good practice should dispell any worries or anxiety you may have!

Good Luck!

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by zippity.doodah
why would you want to study law?

Why not?
Original post by alexp98
No lol. Don't try and take easy subjects just so you think you'll get into a better Uni. Do at least 2 of the following: History, English Lit, Economics, Philosophy or Geography. If you don't think you'll get good grades in these, you have no chance in hell at Uni unfortunately regarding Law. This may sound harsh but it's what my teacher said as many people try taking easy subjects like the ones you mentioned just to get higher grades thinking they'll get into russel group.
Best of luck! :smile:

even if you got straight As in those subjects? it isn't easy either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
would history, maths, english language, french and biology be ok for law?
Why not?

see, this is why you shouldn't do it - you don't even know why you're doing it, hence why you'd say that
Reply 18
Original post by LoveToArgue
would history, maths, english language, french and biology be ok for law?

I'd probably drop one and take Eng lit instead of Eng lang. Generally people who do law will have Eng Lit and History as they're both very good essay based subjects.
Original post by diamondluck
even if you got straight As in those subjects? it isn't easy either.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Highly doubt it. Just because they say no subject specifics dosen't mean they don't care. They want people to use some initiative and take essay based subjects still or at least very good broad subjects which are good for everything like Maths and the Science's as these would deveop your problem solving and analytical skills. Also, if you took them subjects like film studies on the very very slim chance you did get into a russel group you would be so behind everyone else due to the amount of valuable skills subjects like English Lit and History give to law students. I would see if you can change if possible. Also, talk to your teachers about this as I'm sure they will have the same view.

Quick Reply

Latest