The Student Room Group

Audiology 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Do personal statements need to be of the best quality? Also what do you recommend that we include? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by HafsaR
Do personal statements need to be of the best quality? Also what do you recommend that we include? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Personal statements should always be written as well as you can - they are a really important way for admissions tutors to choose between different applicants.

As well as all the usual stuff, you should make sure you include why you want to study audiology (you might have a personal connection with deafness, for instance, or really want to work in a professional where you make a difference to people's lives) and any relevant work experience, which could be for example working or volunteering in a caring role with old people or children, as well as anything more directly related to audiology. It's worth remembering that audiology is a vocational career, i.e. people usually come with a real drive to work in this area and it's important to show what this motivation is.
Original post by claudiasahara
I'll be starting Audiology at University of Southampton next year! I got in for 2015 but i deferred to 2016. If anyone has any questions let me know!

Hi! Well done congratulations on your offer!

I just wanted to ask how important is work experience because I'm really struggling with finding a hospital that will let me shadow an audiologist :frown: did they ask you questions related to work experience? what kind of questions do they ask in the interview?

sorry for all the questions, hope it's not too much :biggrin:
Original post by Maryam Taher

I just wanted to ask how important is work experience because I'm really struggling with finding a hospital that will let me shadow an audiologist :frown: did they ask you questions related to work experience? what kind of questions do they ask in the interview?

Thank you so much! :smile:

Work experience is VERY VERY important! Your personal statement needs to include details about this. From my experience, after you apply to audiology at Southampton, and after you are conditionally or unconditionally accepted, they require you to write a few paragraphs ( not your personal statement, a new piece of writing) about your time spent shadowing an audiologist. If you cannot shadow an audiologist, at least get work experience in a field that is related so you can write about that! ( such as a doctor, speech therapist,etc.) Something where you interact with people and help them. I cannot stress how important it is. Also, on the off chance that you do not meet the grade requirements, if they decide to still reconsider you, they will accept or decline you based on this piece of writing about your work experience!

I really hope I helped you and if you have any more questions feel free to ask. Good luck!!!! :smile:

Oh and I forgot to say, by the way, there's no interview for Southampton!
Oh and I forgot to say, by the way, there's no interview for Southampton!

Thanks so much for your reply! It was extremely helpful :smile:

Most universities don't really stress the importance of work experience enough in their entry requirements which is why i wasn't sure about it, and I didn't know about the paragraph thing for Southampton so thank you for telling me!
I've already got volunteering experience with a health care charity organisation but I will try my best to shadow an audiologist to see what the job is really like. I'd assume priority is always to students who have relevant work experience.

It's good that Southampton don't have an interview because Manchester university do and I heard it's very intense and competitive.

I also wanted to ask about the career prospects for audiology, some people said there isn't much demand on the job/sometimes difficult to find employment. Is that true?
/
Original post by summana
I havent decided what my fifth choice will be yet, it's between Cardiff and Middlesex. Oh nice, yeah southampton was the uni I'm most impressed with so far. Yeah I'm doing A levels in English Lit, Psychology and Biology. How long have you been considering audiology for?

I do the same subjects as you. What exam boards are you doing? I am thinking of applying to study Audiology. What are your thoughts on Audiology?
Do unis still look at our application if our predicted grades is slightly lower than their entry requirements.
Is anyone interested in De Montfort Univesity to study Audiology?
Thanks so much for your reply! It was extremely helpful :smile:

Most universities don't really stress the importance of work experience enough in their entry requirements which is why i wasn't sure about it, and I didn't know about the paragraph thing for Southampton so thank you for telling me!
I've already got volunteering experience with a health care charity organisation but I will try my best to shadow an audiologist to see what the job is really like. I'd assume priority is always to students who have relevant work experience.

It's good that Southampton don't have an interview because Manchester university do and I heard it's very intense and competitive.

I also wanted to ask about the career prospects for audiology, some people said there isn't much demand on the job/sometimes difficult to find employment. Is that true?
/

You're very welcome! And what you heard is inaccurate because the prospects for Audiology are GREAT in the uk! I've spoken to universities and read in multiple places online about this. I even read in another thread, a woman who recently graduated with a degree in Audiology, saying that everyone in her class was offered jobs as soon as they got out of university, some were even offered up to 6 jobs! There is a real demand for it in the uk. I am from Trinidad and Tobago, a country in the Caribbean. It is really in demand here as well. So i guess it also depends on where you plan to live.
Reply 29
/

There are lots of vacancies for audiologists in the NHS at the moment, as well as lots of opportunities to work in the private sector. I don't think there should be any difficulty in finding work. I've also heard that most students have a choice of jobs when they leave, and one uni told me that all their final year students had been offered jobs with a major private sector hearing aid provider.
Reply 30
Original post by cherry16
Is anyone interested in De Montfort Univesity to study Audiology?

De Montford looked good to me. I believe their course has run for longer than the others, so is very well established. It's well worth visiting the different unis as, although their courses are virtually identical, the feel of the departments is very different.
Reply 31
I don`t think De Montofort is well established though. Manchester is the first uni to do audiology and so its more established. I think the second best is southampton,
Original post by Nv97
I don`t think De Montofort is well established though. Manchester is the first uni to do audiology and so its more established. I think the second best is southampton,

Leeds mentioned they were second for Audiology during the opening day last year, not sure what first is though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
According to this: http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2015/may/25/university-league-tables-2016, Aston is first, Southampton is second and Leeds is third.
I'll be starting Audiology at University of Southampton next year! I got in for 2015 but i deferred to 2016. If anyone has any questions let me know!

Which unis did you apply to
I am hopefully. I want to apply to aston de montfort leeds and maybe mancester. What subjects are doing at A2 and what are your predicted grades, if you don't mind. Thank you
I am hopefully. I want to apply to aston de montfort leeds and maybe mancester. What subjects are doing at A2 and what are your predicted grades, if you don't mind. Thank you

Hey peeps,I heard about audiology but don't know much about it. What made you choose this course? Plus at DMM website it doesn't state the audiology specific modules you'd learn.
Hi! If you need specific advice about Audiology at DMU just let us know!
Original post by De Montfort University
Hi! If you need specific advice about Audiology at DMU just let us know!

Hello

Does the course Healthcare Science(Audiology) allow you to work as an "Audiologist" in the NHS or private sector once you graduate.

Thank you.
Hello

Does the course Healthcare Science(Audiology) allow you to work as an "Audiologist" in the NHS or private sector once you graduate.

Thank you.

The DMU website says you can. "The course has been approved by the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC), allowing graduates to be eligible to apply for registration and hence practice as a Hearing Aid Dispenser in the private sector. Graduates can decide which career pathway suits them on completion of the programme: NHS, private or both."

Quick Reply

Latest