The Student Room Group

Audiology 2016

Scroll to see replies

I'm also applying for audiology at Leeds, Aston, Manchester, DMF leister & also Swansea
Reply 81
Original post by alevelstudent01
Im also applying for audiology at aston, dmu, manchester, leeds and southampton. My predicted grades are abb. what are your predicted grades and where are you applying

Thats cool. So which uni is the one that you want to go to, your first choice?
I got an offer for Healthcare Science Audiology at De Montfort and also got an interview at University of Leeds :smile:
Original post by Nv97
Thats cool. So which uni is the one that you want to go to, your first choice?

I want to go to aston as it is the closest and top for audiology however i went to an interview for manchester on wednesday and I really liked the lecturers and the university.
Reply 84
Original post by Tayyibah_97
I got an offer for Healthcare Science Audiology at De Montfort and also got an interview at University of Leeds :smile:

What are your predicted grades?

I'm also applying for audiology at Leeds, Aston, Manchester, DMF leister & also Swansea

Same unis I'm applying to :smile: What were your predicted grades? And when's your interview?
May I remind people that asking for, or giving, specific interview content is not allowed on TSR. The universities will tell you as much information about the interviews as they want you to know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alevelstudent01
I want to go to aston as it is the closest and top for audiology however i went to an interview for manchester on wednesday and I really liked the lecturers and the university.

Sorry for all the interview questions but how long did the Manchester interview last? Mine is all the way in March but I'm booking train tickets. I'm guessing 2 hours max? Also, did you dress in smartwear? Thanks :redface:
All courses that offer Audiology have similar curriculum as they have to meet the National School of Healthcare Science requirement, so most will have the same number of hours in year one and two actually. The main difference is that many have split their main placements, so you do 15 weeks in year 2 and 25 weeks in year 3, this can be expensive as you may need to pay rent for 2 flats if the placement is far from the university or lots of travel costs.

DMU are the only university that has a whole block placement in year 3 and I suppose the main reason why many of their students get jobs in the NHS, as the placement provider may offer a post if you do well. DMU have the largest number of placements spread across the country and they are the only ones that contribute to students travel and some accommodation costs if you are placed further away from uni.

They have always supported audiology students and started the national BAA audiology student conference, they held another last year - was really good. They host the Internationally renowned Leicester Balance Course, with international delegates and speakers as their facilities are excellent. They do need to update their website as they constantly have new equipment and facilities, which students can use when teaching is not scheduled, so it is a really hands on course.

According to NHSemployers.com to work in the NHS as an Audiologist you need to complete an accredited National School of Healthcare Science (NSHCS) course like the one at DMU and then be able to register with the Academy of Healthcare Science (AHCS). It used to be the Registration Council of Clinical Physiologists (RCCP) but you should check that any course you want to go on allows you to register with AHCS if you want to work in the NHS. The DMU Course also has also been approved by the Health and Care Professions Council, so you can also work in the private sector, after graduation you can they got of the NHS OR PRIVATE OR BOTH.

The other nice part of the DMU course is their Audiology volunteering scheme, you can go out in the local community to screen people's hearing but also invite the public back to university to do a full hearing test if they want. Students have also been involved with testing the hearing of athletes taking part in the special Olympics, they have also been involved with screening hearing at football tournaments for children with special needs/learning difficulties, really rewarding.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 89
Original post by advice123
All courses that offer Audiology have similar curriculum as they have to meet the National School of Healthcare Science requirement, so most will have the same number of hours in year one and two actually. The main difference is that many have split their main placements, so you do 15 weeks in year 2 and 25 weeks in year 3, this can be expensive as you may need to pay rent for 2 flats if the placement is far from the university or lots of travel costs.

DMU are the only university that has a whole block placement in year 3 and I suppose the main reason why many of their students get jobs in the NHS, as the placement provider may offer a post if you do well. DMU have the largest number of placements spread across the country and they are the only ones that contribute to students travel and some accommodation costs if you are placed further away from uni.

They have always supported audiology students and started the national BAA audiology student conference, they held another last year - was really good. They host the Internationally renowned Leicester Balance Course, with international delegates and speakers as their facilities are excellent. They do need to update their website as they constantly have new equipment and facilities, which students can use when teaching is not scheduled, so it is a really hands on course.

According to NHSemployers.com to work in the NHS as an Audiologist you need to complete an accredited National School of Healthcare Science (NSHCS) course like the one at DMU and then be able to register with the Academy of Healthcare Science (AHCS). It used to be the Registration Council of Clinical Physiologists (RCCP) but you should check that any course you want to go on allows you to register with AHCS if you want to work in the NHS. The DMU Course also has also been approved by the Health and Care Professions Council, so you can also work in the private sector, after graduation you can they got of the NHS OR PRIVATE OR BOTH.

The other nice part of the DMU course is their Audiology volunteering scheme, you can go out in the local community to screen people's hearing but also invite the public back to university to do a full hearing test if they want. Students have also been involved with testing the hearing of athletes taking part in the special Olympics, they have also been involved with screening hearing at football tournaments for children with special needs/learning difficulties, really rewarding.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for this detailed response, found it very informative :smile:
at advice123, firstly thank you ever so much for clearing up questions that I had, just yesterday I was frantically researching about the accreditation of the Audiology course at Demontfort, worrying that the university had not cleverly deceived its prospective students into applying for a course that is just a glorified hearing aid dispensing degree. That will be a Christmas eve I shall remember for a long time haha!

I was wondering whether you could shed some light on a few matters please;

The first is why the degree is not accredited by the RCCP and all of the other universities are who offer a healthcare science degree are? And what are the differences between the RCCP and the AHCS?

Secondly, upon completion of this degree at DMU and being registered and accredited by the AHCS and NSHCS bodies will I therefore be qualified to work in the NHS as an Audiologist and NOT an associate healthcare Audiologist?

Thirdly, can you register and be accredited by the RCCP after a degree at DMU by completing an MSc at another institution if DMU do not offer the option to master?

Finally is the course part of the Modernising scientific careers pathway where it has the practitioner training program allied with the course?
Original post by bigkahunaburger
at advice123, firstly thank you ever so much for clearing up questions that I had, just yesterday I was frantically researching about the accreditation of the Audiology course at Demontfort, worrying that the university had not cleverly deceived its prospective students into applying for a course that is just a glorified hearing aid dispensing degree. That will be a Christmas eve I shall remember for a long time haha!

I was wondering whether you could shed some light on a few matters please;

The first is why the degree is not accredited by the RCCP and all of the other universities are who offer a healthcare science degree are? And what are the differences between the RCCP and the AHCS?

Secondly, upon completion of this degree at DMU and being registered and accredited by the AHCS and NSHCS bodies will I therefore be qualified to work in the NHS as an Audiologist and NOT an associate healthcare Audiologist?

Thirdly, can you register and be accredited by the RCCP after a degree at DMU by completing an MSc at another institution if DMU do not offer the option to master?

Finally is the course part of the Modernising scientific careers pathway where it has the practitioner training program allied with the course?

Dear Bigkahunaburger,

Great questions.

All BSc Healthcare Audiology courses accredited by the NSHCS are part of the MSC - in this case MSC stands For Modernising Scientific Careers and essentially they are a body that are part of the NHS. All courses at undergraduate level are Practitioner Training Programmes, they have also developed postgraduate training programmes: Scientist Training Programmes, Higher Scientist .....one will lead to a Masters and the other a Doctorate.

DMU was one of the first programmes that offered the PTP (Southampton and Sunderland were the only others) and the course does lead to working as a fully qualified Audiologist - usually band 5. In fact some of the graduates I know have started at Band 6. Last year their student won the national professional body student of the year award and the current chair of the student professional body committee is also a DMU graduate.

The RCCP is a body that has been around before MSC and before AHCS. One could argue that for PTP graduates the RCCP are really now redundant, I guess universities are accredited by them for 'old time sake' but this will change.

Sorry to get technical here, but RCCP is simply a voluntary body, so you can choose to join them or not to work in the NHS, it is not essential. The RCCP are not governed by any NHS body or recommended by any NHS body. As I mention before the AHCS is what the NHSemployers recommend and when you consider that NSHCS accredits the courses, so that graduates can join the AHCS, which is all part of MSC which as I said is NHS backed, there is simply no point in the RCCP, it adds nothing.

Another really important point is that the RCCP is simply a voluntary body that are not really answerable to any government/NHS backed body, the AHCS is an 'accredited' voluntary body and they are governed by the Professional standards Authority, they govern nurses, doctors, social workers....hence DMU has chosen to ensure that its graduates are registered with the highest body relevant to the NHS.

If you do decide to do a masters, I would advise you to do one that allows you to register with a statutory body (as opposed to RCCP, which is simply voluntary), this is far more powerful and your title is protected by law, so doing a Masters at Southampton, Manchester or UCL will allow you to register with the HCPC as 'Clinical Scientist', doing any other Masters in Audiology you really need to think what does it add...

Hope that answers your questions.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by advice123
Dear Bigkahunaburger,

Great questions.

All BSc Healthcare Audiology courses accredited by the NSHCS are part of the MSC - in this case MSC stands For Modernising Scientific Careers and essentially they are a body that are part of the NHS. All courses at undergraduate level are Practitioner Training Programmes, they have also developed postgraduate training programmes: Scientist Training Programmes, Higher Scientist .....one will lead to a Masters and the other a Doctorate.

DMU was one of the first programmes that offered the PTP (Southampton and Sunderland were the only others) and the course does lead to working as a fully qualified Audiologist - usually band 5. In fact some of the graduates I know have started at Band 6. Last year their student won the national professional body student of the year award and the current chair of the student professional body committee is also a DMU graduate.

The RCCP is a body that has been around before MSC and before AHCS. One could argue that for PTP graduates the RCCP are really now redundant, I guess universities are accredited by them for 'old time sake' but this will change.

Sorry to get technical here, but RCCP is simply a voluntary body, so you can choose to join them or not to work in the NHS, it is not essential. The RCCP are not governed by any NHS body or recommended by any NHS body. As I mention before the AHCS is what the NHSemployers recommend and when you consider that NSHCS accredits the courses, so that graduates can join the AHCS, which is all part of MSC which as I said is NHS backed, there is simply no point in the RCCP, it adds nothing.

Another really important point is that the RCCP is simply a voluntary body that are not really answerable to any government/NHS backed body, the AHCS is an 'accredited' voluntary body and they are governed by the Professional standards Authority, they govern nurses, doctors, social workers....hence DMU has chosen to ensure that its graduates are registered with the highest body relevant to the NHS.

If you do decide to do a masters, I would advise you to do one that allows you to register with a statutory body (as opposed to RCCP, which is simply voluntary), this is far more powerful and your title is protected by law, so doing a Masters at Southampton, Manchester or UCL will allow you to register with the HCPC as 'Clinical Scientist', doing any other Masters in Audiology you really need to think what does it add...

Hope that answers your questions.....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much that has ckeared up alot of questions!
Original post by ayeeel
There are lots of vacancies for audiologists in the NHS at the moment, as well as lots of opportunities to work in the private sector. I don't think there should be any difficulty in finding work. I've also heard that most students have a choice of jobs when they leave, and one uni told me that all their final year students had been offered jobs with a major private sector hearing aid provider.

Does anyone have an idea of what the salary is like? Ive heard many people say that some graduates have been offerred £30k+ in the first year or two, whilst having many other good perks such a company car, phones food paid for travel costs etc. Does anyone also have any information about the private sector and how that works and what the salary is like.
Reply 94
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
Does anyone have an idea of what the salary is like? Ive heard many people say that some graduates have been offerred £30k+ in the first year or two, whilst having many other good perks such a company car, phones food paid for travel costs etc. Does anyone also have any information about the private sector and how that works and what the salary is like.

Best thing is to approach one of the private providers (Supersavers, Boots, any of the smaller providers) and there should be someone there who can talk it through with you. They are at the careers events at uni and I don't see why they wouldn't discuss this with anyone considering a career with them.

I understand that salary is important, but tbh it's not usually why people go into audiology and you really need to be sure that you enjoy working with people and helping people to get the most out of life. If you get a decent salary, that's a bonus! :wink:
Yeh im fascinated by audiology and all the aspects such as treating patients and building a relationship, but of course there's no point going to Uni and doing a degree with a mediocre salary you want to earn money whilst enjoying the job. No harm in that
Original post by ayeeel
According to this: http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2015/may/25/university-league-tables-2016, Aston is first, Southampton is second and Leeds is third.

These arent accurate nor reflect the uni. DMU was one of the first hence approved by the medical council allowing you to go to private sector. Something leeds doesnt do in addition to also having very good links to community for placements and research. However the uni doesnt matter one bit for audiology since its in demand, dmu had 100% students employed so no one should really focus on one uni because league table show its higher, because this is only true for certain courses. Audiology isnt one.
Original post by claudiasahara
Thank you so much! :smile:

Work experience is VERY VERY important! Your personal statement needs to include details about this. From my experience, after you apply to audiology at Southampton, and after you are conditionally or unconditionally accepted, they require you to write a few paragraphs ( not your personal statement, a new piece of writing) about your time spent shadowing an audiologist. If you cannot shadow an audiologist, at least get work experience in a field that is related so you can write about that! ( such as a doctor, speech therapist,etc.) Something where you interact with people and help them. I cannot stress how important it is. Also, on the off chance that you do not meet the grade requirements, if they decide to still reconsider you, they will accept or decline you based on this piece of writing about your work experience!

I really hope I helped you and if you have any more questions feel free to ask. Good luck!!!! :smile:

Hi i just wanted to ask when you did your work expereince did you find any benefits to private vs nhs? Would you be able to explain thr private sector in terms of salary and how selling hearing aids plus commission works any help would be appreciated.
Reply 98
I have heard that DMU may not be able to give some students work placement, is this true?
Reply 99
I heard de montfort may not be able to get enough audiology work placement for the students, is this true?

Quick Reply

Latest