The Student Room Group

Which degree leads to the best paying job in the Oil Industry?

Hi, this year I will be applying to University. I wish to work in the oil industry making the most money possible. I am still to obtain my grades for higher: mathematics, physics, human biology, technological studies and national 5 chemistry. This year I am studying advanced higher: physics, chemistry, mathematics and engineering science. So I have all science and engineering routes open to me from my course choices, the question is which route is the highest paying? I wish to study in Scotland and was considering doing chemical engineering at Strathclyde and becoming a petroleum engineer through that, although I'm getting contradicting information as if that's the best degree to take to obtain the highest pay within the oil industry. I would like someone to clear that up please. Also, just to add the only university which does petroleum engineering as a degree is Aberdeen and it is from what I've heard and read a very bad course in terms of material, employability and student satisfaction.
Reply 1
Engineering (the more prestigious the better); Geology.
Reply 2
Original post by Profesh
Engineering (the more prestigious the better); Geology.

You can get a MEng within Geology?? I thought geology was only a division of science haha. Excuse my ignorance as I am probably completely the one in the wrong!!
Reply 3
Original post by leonhaig24
You can get a MEng within Geology?? I thought geology was only a division of science haha. Excuse my ignorance as I am probably completely the one in the wrong!!

No; but you can get an MSc.
Reply 4
Original post by Profesh
No; but you can get an MSc.

NGL, I know I didn't say, but I would like to be an Engineer :smile:

or a theoretical physicist, that's cool too :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending