The Student Room Group

Theory and driving lessons?

I'm currently revising for my theory at the moment. For anyone who has taken/passed the theory test, could you please tell me how you found it. And also for the people who had passed their driving test, how many lessons did you take? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I'm in the exact same situation, I'm booking my theory for late August and I've done 7 lessons so far

Posted from TSR Mobile
Failed twice lol

41 marks, 51 pts
47 marks, 40 pts

:frown:

My tip for theory is

Revise all signs all from dvla official handbook

Buy the 2015 dvla theory prep (95‰ of the questions will be on your theory and you can practice hazard too)

The hazard perception is a bit bs. The key is to spot the hazard early. And don't over click at once like I did (got penalty in double hazard clip which is why I failed)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by hermaphroditecat
I'm in the exact same situation, I'm booking my theory for late August and I've done 7 lessons so far

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's great. I haven't booked it yet, I've just started to revise for it. How was your lessons? And do you feel confident when driving and do you think you need to take more lessons? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nadzworldz
That's great. I haven't booked it yet, I've just started to revise for it. How was your lessons? And do you feel confident when driving and do you think you need to take more lessons? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

My lessons are good, I had 5 lessons before with a different company but it left me traumatised as the guy used to shout if I got into the wrong gear. I think I need another 10-15 lessons realistically but I'm sort of confident, as they say practice makes perfect.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Proxenus
Failed twice lol

41 marks, 51 pts
47 marks, 40 pts

My tip for theory is

Buy the 2015 dvla theory prep (95‰ of the questions will be on your theory and you can practice hazard too)

The hazard perception is a bit bs. The key is to spot the hazard early. And don't over click at once like I did (got penalty in double hazard clip which is why I failed)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the advice 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha np :smile: i find the hazard perception a game of luck really. the clips are now animated btw
Reply 7
Did my theory yesterday and passed first time.
45/50
59/75

I used an App from apple store that cost 1.99. Most of the questions I saw from the app was on the test. There were a few I had no idea about but took an educated guess. I didn't revise hazard perception, I looked at a youtube video which explained everything to me.
Reply 8
Original post by The_Blade
haha np :smile: i find the hazard perception a game of luck really. the clips are now animated btw

Its really easy tbh. Anything that would make you slow down or stop you would click. And you need to be aware of everything.
Original post by JXLS
Its really easy tbh. Anything that would make you slow down or stop you would click. And you need to be aware of everything.

how many click per spot did you do
Reply 10
how many click per spot did you do

Every hazard I saw, I did 2 clicks.
I found the hazard perception to be the hardest part of theory, I was scared of clicking too early and not getting scored, so I would click too late but I still managed to scrape a pass first time. For the questions, I just memorised all the answers from the official DVLA app which is really good, but there were a few new questions in the real test which I just used common sense to guess. I can't remember my score because I did it over a year ago.

I got given my sister's old car so I was insured to drive that with my dad in the passenger seat whilst learning which really sped things up, I'd say I had about 16 hours with a proper instructor (8 x 2 hours), but I drove almost every night for 2+ hours with my dad in the two months it took me to pass. I don't think I was quite ready for my test but I just stayed calm and tried to think of it as a mock and not the real thing.

My instructor was really good although I found it hard to have a good conversation with him, but after hearing some people's stories, I know that I was really lucky to have such a good instructor. So my advice would be (if you don't already have an instructor) to try to go by recommendations from friends so you know you're not going to be paying someone to make you feel like crap and make you think you need more lessons than you really do :smile:
Original post by JXLS
Every hazard I saw, I did 2 clicks.

i did 3-4 XD

op another tip click frequently but not in one go. thats where i failed (+ need to spot them EARLY)
Original post by Proxenus
Failed twice lol

41 marks, 51 pts
47 marks, 40 pts

My tip for theory is

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww I'm sorry to hear. I do believe you will pass it one day. Don't give up :smile:.
I think I'll purchase the DVLA theory prep book.

I thought it was just questions we had to answer, rather than a clip as well. How much was was the clip worth, was it worth a lot of marks for the overall score? And I'll probably end up clicking the hazards more than once. I just really hope I don't panic while doing it lol :erm:.

Thanks for the advice. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
i did 3-4 XD

op another tip click frequently but not in one go. thats where i failed (+ need to spot them EARLY)

Yeah you fkd up. You identify the hazard and as it starts to develop the scoring window opens and the longer it takes for you to click the less points you get.
My lessons are good, I had 5 lessons before with a different company but it left me traumatised as the guy used to shout if I got into the wrong gear. I think I need another 10-15 lessons realistically but I'm sort of confident, as they say practice makes perfect.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's good to hear :smile:. Oh dear that sounds horrible and I'm sorry to hear about that. But its good to know you have changed your instructor. Yep cool and haha yes it sure does. Well good luck and I'm sure you'll do great! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aww I'm sorry to hear. I do believe you will pass it one day. Don't give up :smile:.
I think I'll purchase the DVLA theory prep book.

I thought it was just questions we had to answer, rather than a clip as well. How much was was the clip worth, was it worth a lot of marks for the overall score? And I'll probably end up clicking the hazards more than once. I just really hope I don't panic while doing it lol :erm:.

Thanks for the advice. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

google hazard perception test or something along those lines if you want to try some out, although it all looks quite different in the real thing
That's good to hear :smile:. Oh dear that sounds horrible and I'm sorry to hear about that. But its good to know you have changed your instructor. Yep cool and haha yes it sure does. Well good luck and I'm sure you'll do great! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! By the way I forgot to ask, how many lessons have you done? I'm sure you'll do great too! 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JXLS
Did my theory yesterday and passed first time.
45/50
59/75

I used an App from apple store that cost 1.99. Most of the questions I saw from the app was on the test. There were a few I had no idea about but took an educated guess. I didn't revise hazard perception, I looked at a youtube video which explained everything to me.

Hey that's great and congratulations! :smile:
What's the 2 scores for? Is one for the questions and the other for the hazard perception clip?

Cool and it was well worth it then :biggrin:. Yes it is best proving an educated guess if you are unsure. That's good and I think I'll research some videos on YouTube.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you! By the way I forgot to ask, how many lessons have you done? I'm sure you'll do great too! 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're welcome :smile:. I've done none, which is why I want to start them as soon as I can. I'm looking for some instructor companies. How much do you pay for your lessons? (I hope it isn't too personal of me to ask). Thank you very much! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest