The Student Room Group

Why are Student FInance being so awkward?

I haven't used my account for about 4 years and forgot my login details completely (secret answer too) remember my reference number for some reason though.

So I ring up and give them all they asked for .. they then want to know my home number I registered with .. that was 4 years ago and my family have switched from BT to Sky to Virign and back to Sky each time changing the number.

I tell them they don't know and the say there is nothing they can do. I then tell them previous study details etc

Then they say they'lls end a reset to my email (twice I rang and twice they said this)

Both times NOTHING! i have always had the same email address.

So am I screwed for funding then?
Reply 1
Is this student finance England or wales

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tnajamie
I haven't used my account for about 4 years and forgot my login details completely (secret answer too) remember my reference number for some reason though.

So I ring up and give them all they asked for .. they then want to know my home number I registered with .. that was 4 years ago and my family have switched from BT to Sky to Virign and back to Sky each time changing the number.

I tell them they don't know and the say there is nothing they can do. I then tell them previous study details etc

Then they say they'lls end a reset to my email (twice I rang and twice they said this)

Both times NOTHING! i have always had the same email address.

So am I screwed for funding then?

They're not being awkward just to screw you. You can only have one Student Finance CRN for the same reason you can only have one National Insurance number. They can't create a new one for you if they already have an existing one, and they have to be strict with security because of the amount of personal information your account holds.

All is not lost, however! If you really cannot get access, you can apply using a PN1 form - write a little note on the front of the form to say that you already have an existing CRN, and fill this CRN in on the declaration on page 24. To speed up processing, fill in the details digitally in the PDF before you print the form out and sign it.

Alternatively, if you are applying for finance on a course that you have claimed Student Finance for in previous years, you can use a PR1 form.

Once your application has processed you'll then be able to get back into your account using the information from that application.
Reply 3
Original post by sionna
Is this student finance England or wales

Posted from TSR Mobile

England
Reply 4
Original post by applicationa
They're not being awkward just to screw you. You can only have one Student Finance CRN for the same reason you can only have one National Insurance number. They can't create a new one for you if they already have an existing one, and they have to be strict with security because of the amount of personal information your account holds.

All is not lost, however! If you really cannot get access, you can apply using a PN1 form - write a little note on the front of the form to say that you already have an existing CRN, and fill this CRN in on the declaration on page 24. To speed up processing, fill in the details digitally in the PDF before you print the form out and sign it.

Alternatively, if you are applying for finance on a course that you have claimed Student Finance for in previous years, you can use a PR1 form.

Once your application has processed you'll then be able to get back into your account using the information from that application.

This is a really thorough reply thank you very much. I will apply on paper then. I only want a tuition loan though I am not interested in a maintenance loan or grant .. hopefully that will be quickly processed as the college say they need payment at the start of each year strictly.
Original post by tnajamie
This is a really thorough reply thank you very much. I will apply on paper then. I only want a tuition loan though I am not interested in a maintenance loan or grant .. hopefully that will be quickly processed as the college say they need payment at the start of each year strictly.

Are you studying a HE course, or was it one of the 24+ advanced learning loans you were looking to apply for? If it's one of the 24+ loans, that's a different application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending