The Student Room Group

What are my chances of getting into UCL / LSE Economics?

GCSEs I got 9 A* 2 A and AS Level I'm confidently expecting AAAB with high As in Econ and Chemistry, mid A in Maths and the B in Further Maths (Hopefully A*A*A*A predicted though). Unfortunately Decision and Mechanics went horrifically but my core modules C1, C2 and FP1 were good.

Say I had a decent personal statement and very good references.

I'm asking this because with these unis being very oversubscribed, would they look for any opportunity to turn down an applicant (in my case because I got a B at AS)?

Thanks.
You have very good grades but economics at both of these universities, particularly LSE is very competitive. So even with a strong application it's still pretty likely you will be turned down. By all means apply for them but make sure you have back up options where you are more likely to get in. Good luck.
Original post by dradoo
GCSEs I got 9 A* 2 A and AS Level I'm confidently expecting AAAB with high As in Econ and Chemistry, mid A in Maths and the B in Further Maths (Hopefully A*A*A*A predicted though). Unfortunately Decision and Mechanics went horrifically but my core modules C1, C2 and FP1 were good.

Say I had a decent personal statement and very good references.

I'm asking this because with these unis being very oversubscribed, would they look for any opportunity to turn down an applicant (in my case because I got a B at AS)?

Thanks.

The top 3 AS grades are more important as they help justify your predicted grades as the offer is based only on 3 A2s. The 4th grade is of no consequence.
Original post by GandalfWhite
The top 3 AS grades are more important as they help justify your predicted grades as the offer is based only on 3 A2s. The 4th grade is of no consequence.

LSE count double maths as one subject so the last will matter

@OP with a B in FM your chances for either are compromised, especially LSE. Can you not rearrange the modules to get As in both?
Original post by Mike_123

@OP with a B in FM your chances for either are compromised, especially LSE. Can you not rearrange the modules to get As in both?

I think Maths and Further Maths count as 2 subjects. Best OP check on LSE website. I just did.
Original post by GandalfWhite
I think Maths and Further Maths count as 2 subjects. Best OP check on LSE website. I just did.

Yes but their entry requirements stipulate a 4th grade if you take double maths (at least when I applied)
Reply 6

I feel that in my pure modules, I could have averaged around 95% realistically (depending on grade boundaries ofc) and I'm pretty sure I got 68/72 in FP1 which should equate to about 92% UMS hopefully. However all of the applied modules went terribly for me (I omitted around 15 marks alone on each paper and badly messed up elsewhere) and FM requires two of these applied modules. Maths will be an A even if I dump a D grade applied module in there (Decision). Further Maths will be close to an A if not an A, I really can't tell but it sounds like it needs to be.

So say these are the grades, in addition to my decent GCSEs: 4 As, Chem 93% UMS, Econ 93% UMS, Maths 85% UMS and FM 80% UMS / Av. 88% UMS across all 4 or 91% across top 3, would my chances for UCL and LSE still be slim being that they can look at UMS as well? Could they look at my pure maths modules alone instead and still consider me a very good mathematician being as I didn't take statistics?
Original post by dradoo
I feel that in my pure modules, I could have averaged around 95% realistically (depending on grade boundaries ofc) and I'm pretty sure I got 68/72 in FP1 which should equate to about 92% UMS hopefully. However all of the applied modules went terribly for me (I omitted around 15 marks alone on each paper and badly messed up elsewhere) and FM requires two of these applied modules. Maths will be an A even if I dump a D grade applied module in there (Decision). Further Maths will be close to an A if not an A, I really can't tell but it sounds like it needs to be.

So say these are the grades, in addition to my decent GCSEs: 4 As, Chem 93% UMS, Econ 93% UMS, Maths 85% UMS and FM 80% UMS / Av. 88% UMS across all 4 or 91% across top 3, would my chances for UCL and LSE still be slim being that they can look at UMS as well? Could they look at my pure maths modules alone instead and still consider me a very good mathematician being as I didn't take statistics?

I think only LSE ask for UMS for straight econ and your maths results are worrying (maths should form part of your 'top 3 average' given that it is the most important. chemistry most likely disregarded as long as its an A) so you need a really top notch PS. UCL isn't as competitive so you definitely stand a better chance there. Module choice doesnt matter as it is usually decided by the school - as long as you take stats next year its fine.
Yes but their entry requirements stipulate a 4th grade if you take double maths (at least when I applied)

The 4th grade is just a requirement, perhaps to ensure students have a broader education. Your main offer is based on 3 subjects + 1 extra subject which only a pass is required, usually.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending