The Student Room Group

Oxbridge FAQ!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
what do an interviewer ask when applying in oxbridge?
Reply 361
I've got two rather silly questions but I'll ask them anyway...

I read you have to book or apply to certain open day things? What's that about? I am probably going to the UK for a week in June and it happens to be the week with all the open days (lucky, right?) but I won't know for sure until about a week in advance. Would that be too late to be allowed to go anywhere? Or did I misunderstand that in the first place?

And also, I've had a lot of problems with the Dutch school system and particularly my school's system the past year... which has actually influenced my marks quite a bit (one example is that teachers would make it a rule not to mark essays higher than a B)... should I mention this somewhere when I apply? On one hand I really don't want to seem like I'm whining, but on the other hand, my marks aren't as magnificent as they should in fact be.
missygeorgia
I want to apply for Philosophy and Theology at Oxford this year but I'm worried that I'm already disadvantaged, because my GCSEs aren't great and because I only did 3 A levels (I go to a private school and almost everyone else I know who applied to Oxbridge from private schools did 4).

My question is: are your GCSEs and other factors such as number of A Levels only relevant in getting to the interview stage? I read on another thread that once you get to the interview stage that everyone's basically considered to be on a level playing field; is this true or will I have to do better in my interview than someone with excellent GCSEs and loads of A Levels would have to do to get in?

No.4 AS and 3 Full a levels will be fine..
This is probably quite similar to a lot of other questions, but Ill ask anyway :smile:
I would like to do English at Oxford and I am taking 4 or 5 full A levels in English Lit, Biology, Geography, Business and Psychology. I know that Oxford like to see Classics, Greek or Latin for their English course - when I know so many other people who have these subjects and I don't, do I have any hope of getting onto the course? Thanks.
major dilEMMA
This is probably quite similar to a lot of other questions, but Ill ask anyway :smile:
I would like to do English at Oxford and I am taking 4 or 5 full A levels in English Lit, Biology, Geography, Business and Psychology. I know that Oxford like to see Classics, Greek or Latin for their English course - when I know so many other people who have these subjects and I don't, do I have any hope of getting onto the course? Thanks.

You only need English Lit. or Lit./Lang. to get onto the course. Oxford have three "tiers", if you like, of necessity of A-level subjects - the first being "Essential" (as English A-level is essential for an English degree); the second being "Recommended"; the third being "Helpful". There are no recommended subjects for English, but history and languages are deemed to be helpful. As such, I wouldn't really worry about it - they're only saying that those subjects might be of some benefit, not that they'll reject you if you don't have them. So yes.. of course you have a hope, especially if you get a string of A-grades at AS to go with those brilliant GCSE results!

If it helps, I have an offer for English at Oxford and I don't have history or any languages at A-level.
is english thought of as a respected subject?
i'm not taking it, just curious
also, is it worth doing some volunteer work?
Reply 366
crrrrrash
is english thought of as a respected subject?
i'm not taking it, just curious
also, is it worth doing some volunteer work?

English Literature is a highly respected subject, yes. Many people wishing to go into journalism/the media as well as other careers normally start out with an English lit degree.

Volunteer work - do you mean "will this enhance my application?" In a word: no. Unless you're applying for a vocational subject like medicine, where you need experience (and where it's mostly unpaid) volunteer work isn't going to put you at any significant advantage. Oxbridge admissions tutors want to see how bright you are, not how noble you are. They might think you're a nice person for it, but that'll just make them feel a bit worse if they have to reject you over somebody with a stronger academic profile and no voluntary work....

American universities are, as far as I know, the only ones that really care about extra-currics. Oxbridge don't. Your assessment (ucas form, interviews, tests) will all be based on how you fare academically.
priya
English Literature is a highly respected subject, yes. Many people wishing to go into journalism/the media as well as other careers normally start out with an English lit degree.

Volunteer work - do you mean "will this enhance my application?" In a word: no. Unless you're applying for a vocational subject like medicine, where you need experience (and where it's mostly unpaid) volunteer work isn't going to put you at any significant advantage. Oxbridge admissions tutors want to see how bright you are, not how noble you are. They might think you're a nice person for it, but that'll just make them feel a bit worse if they have to reject you over somebody with a stronger academic profile and no voluntary work....

American universities are, as far as I know, the only ones that really care about extra-currics. Oxbridge don't. Your assessment (ucas form, interviews, tests) will all be based on how you fare academically.

wowee thanks
is it more respectable than chemistry?
obvz would depend on what subject you're going for
just interested, as considered swapping chemistry for it =]

also reeeaally?
so extra curricular activities [excluding like music where you can get ucas points] don't get you any credit?!
Reply 368
crrrrrash
wowee thanks
is it more respectable than chemistry?
obvz would depend on what subject you're going for
just interested, as considered swapping chemistry for it =]

also reeeaally?
so extra curricular activities [excluding like music where you can get ucas points] don't get you any credit?!

Do the A-level you enjoy most. Seriously, it won't make a difference whether you do Chem or Eng lit for A-level. Unless you're planning on being a doctor, in which case Chem might be better. :p:

And no, admissions tutors at Oxford and Cambridge don't (and shouldn't...) give a toss about your extra-curriculars. Concentrate on getting decent AS grades and reading around your prospective subject(s) - it'll be better for you in the long run. (Though bear in mind that other unis might want to see some extra-currics on your UCAS form.)
Reply 369
Do people who go to Oxbridge become stuck up after they graduate? -.-
Reply 370
m4n0ran
Do people who go to Oxbridge become stuck up after they graduate? -.-

Nah, we're stuck up before we even get here. :p:
Reply 371
Lidka
Nah, we're stuck up before we even get here. :p:

Er, no? My brother's friends who went to Oxbridge last year aren't stuck up at all.
Reply 372
I don't think she was being sincere...
Reply 373
Is it worth it (or even possible) to apply to Oxford with 4As at AS but only AAB (very high B) at A2 with the intention to retake a unit during a gap year?
Reply 374
If you want to go, then apply. I think that's pretty much it. The Universities make up their own rules with regards admissions; if someone's come across strongly enough at interview, there's even a possibility they'll be accepted if they miss their offer. This happened to a friend of mine.
are both oxford && cambridge city universities? as opposed to being a campus thingy?
Reply 376
Hi!

I was dead sure I was going to apply for English at Cambridge for entry 2009 and I've asked for referee statement and written a draft for PS too. Now, I'm not sure I'm cut out for it :s-smilie: I've got the grades for sure, but my PS was totally trashed when this person read it and I'm not sure I've got what it takes!

I took the IB diploma, and hardly read outside the syllabus - something that is almost obligatory when applying. But I just wanted to focus on IB (those of you in the IB can def understand this) so I didn't. I love literature and I think I'd love the course at Cambridge, but should I apply even though my PS stinks (will obv. re-write it) and I'm not sure I've got what it takes? Is it "impossible" to get in if I didn't read outside the syllabus? Cause in that case I'm screwed :o:

Thanks!
johannski
Hi!

I was dead sure I was going to apply for English at Cambridge for entry 2009 and I've asked for referee statement and written a draft for PS too. Now, I'm not sure I'm cut out for it :s-smilie: I've got the grades for sure, but my PS was totally trashed when this person read it and I'm not sure I've got what it takes!

I took the IB diploma, and hardly read outside the syllabus - something that is almost obligatory when applying. But I just wanted to focus on IB (those of you in the IB can def understand this) so I didn't. I love literature and I think I'd love the course at Cambridge, but should I apply even though my PS stinks (will obv. re-write it) and I'm not sure I've got what it takes? Is it "impossible" to get in if I didn't read outside the syllabus? Cause in that case I'm screwed :o:

Thanks!

So you've never ever read a novel or play that hasn't directly involved your IB course?
Reply 378
necessarily benevolent
So you've never ever read a novel or play that hasn't directly involved your IB course?

Of course I have :p: I read loads before IB and I'm reading now post-IB, but during IB (i.e. 3 yrs) I didn't read outside the syllabus. And it's not just that; I find, writing my PS, I can't describe WHY I like reading and WHAT is fascinating - it just is! I.e. I can't write about lit, which could be a tiny obstacle...
johannski
Of course I have :p: I read loads before IB and I'm reading now post-IB, but during IB (i.e. 3 yrs) I didn't read outside the syllabus. And it's not just that; I find, writing my PS, I can't describe WHY I like reading and WHAT is fascinating - it just is! I.e. I can't write about lit, which could be a tiny obstacle...

It doesn't really matter when you read around the subject. As long as you can name a few books in your PS that may have affected you most and have benefited you it's fine. Don't list though, mention a general thought pattern that you may have and refer to certain books and how they support this. Make sure you know what you're talking about though, don't just list or name books for the sake of it (it wouldn't impress anybody) and don't put down anything you've learned from them unless you're confident of talking about them at interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending