The Student Room Group

Oxbridge FAQ!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
leda swanson
arghhhhhhh..... you're very young, aren't you? you basically think that everyone is as fresh-faced and altruistic as yourself, non?

To clarify: Are you saying Oxbridge discriminates against applicants from disadvantaged schools, or that because rich schools offer so much more it's easier for a less intrinisically able person to get into Oxbridge from them?
Reply 81
leda swanson

alas, this is the result of going to a state school and being intelligent enough to get into cambridge. :smile:

Oh goody. Which college are you coming to?
Reply 82
leda swanson
this is the result of going to a state school and being intelligent enough to get into cambridge.

I thought you only got in because your parents paid for tutoring and private music lessons?
Reply 83
Helenia
Oh goody. Which college are you coming to?

Please not anyone I'm considering!
Although it could make for some interesting debates :biggrin:.
Reply 84
Now now be nice :wink:. We don't want our fave medic to have to wander round with a scalpel to protect her :biggrin:.
Reply 85
No idea.

Eek maybe it was a medic with a scalpel!
Helenia!!!!!!! :biggrin: jk :wink:
leda swanson
alas, this is the result of going to a state school and being intelligent enough to get into cambridge. :smile:

Well done. Now you can join the 55% of Cambridge applicants from state schools who get offers every year. You're not reeally breaking the mould...
Reply 87
Acaila
No idea.

Eek maybe it was a medic with a scalpel!
Helenia!!!!!!! :biggrin: jk :wink:

scalpels are good but you have to change the blades regularly to keep them sharp *grins*
Reply 88
EEP! {hides under her desk from all the nasty stabby people}

EDIT: 700th post! Woop woop!
H&E
To clarify: Are you saying Oxbridge discriminates against applicants from disadvantaged schools, or that because rich schools offer so much more it's easier for a less intrinisically able person to get into Oxbridge from them?

i think she was saying both of these things... which seems fair enough. perhaps i shouldn't say this, there seems to be quite a few scalpels on the loose...
BazTheMoney
Well done. Now you can join the 55% of Cambridge applicants from state schools who get offers every year. You're not reeally breaking the mould...

ah but baz, she has got a point. if 55% of oxbridge is state educated, this hardly constitutes equality, as considerably more than 55% of the public are state educated in general...
Reply 91
UndiscoverdSelf
ah but baz, she has got a point. if 55% of oxbridge is state educated, this hardly constitutes equality, as considerably more than 55% of the public are state educated in general...

A third of people who get 3 As aren't state educated. The proportion of state applicants to Oxbridge is similar to the proportion who get offers.

It's not Oxbridge's fault...
Reply 92
leda swanson
i think you need to include the fact that if you are applying from a crap state comprehensive in the middle of nowhere, then you have a much reduced chance of getting in compared to a person of equal intelligence from a good school, and so if you don't get in it doesn't necessarily mean that you are not up to standard, just that you haven't been educated as well as other people, and have failed to educate yourself as other people who do get in in your situation have.

Nonsense! If anything the reverse is true! The fact that I went to a crap school ( no offense Mr Cooklin, you're a great headmaster ) was the only reason they gave me an offer! :biggrin:

Seriously though, as I understand it while a disproportionate number of public school applicants are let in that's only because a disproportionate number APPLY. There is a much higher rate of offers for state schoolers per applicants than those for public schoolers - not to mention that regardless of how well you think the special access scheme works the fact that it exists at all shows that they are making the effort.
Reply 93
Evening Mr F :smile:
Reply 94
Faboba
Nonsense! If anything the reverse is true! The fact that I went to a crap school ( no offense Mr Cooklin, you're a great headmaster ) was the only reason they gave me an offer! :biggrin:

Seriously though, as I understand it while a disproportionate number of public school applicants are let in that's only because a disproportionate number APPLY. There is a much higher rate of offers for state schoolers per applicants than those for public schoolers - not to mention that regardless of how well you think the special access scheme works the fact that it exists at all shows that they are making the effort.

I'm not sure that's right - I saw an admissions brochure (which I can't find online) which said that while just 30% of applications are from independent schools, 38% of offers go to the indepedent sector. I don't think this is hugely surprising, given that independent schools are both selective and require a strong commitment to education.
Reply 95
H&E
I'm not sure that's right - I saw an admissions brochure (which I can't find online) which said that while just 30% of applications are from independent schools, 38% of offers go to the indepedent sector. I don't think this is hugely surprising, given that independent schools are both selective and require a strong commitment to education.

You could be right but I remember the opposite. I'm not expert but some people on the forum are so hopefully they'll show up.

Economicsts and statisticians; where are you when we need you?
Reply 96
Acaila
Evening Mr F :smile:

Good evening young lady.
Reply 97
H&E

The thing is that about 20% of applications are from overseas, whereas only about 10% of offers are. So the figures go up for both independent and state schools.
Reply 98
Faboba
You could be right but I remember the opposite. I'm not expert but some people on the forum are so hopefully they'll show up.

Economicsts and statisticians; where are you when we need you?

Finally found the stats here: http://www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/colleges/adstats.pdf

Maintained: 47.1% of applications, 46.9% of offers
Independent: 36.1% of applications, 43.9% of offers.
That's quite a substantial difference.
Reply 99
Your figures are more recent, so I've edited this post.

Quick Reply