The Student Room Group

Good car for a guy? 5-10k budget?

Hi everyone,

I'm currently a student at uni, been driving for about four years now. Up until now I've just had one of the old KA's. Not the most dazzling car or anything but it did the job and I barely used it.

Anyway now I'm gonna be using it for a fairly long drive to and back from uni quite often so am looking for a new car. I'm just a little bit lost as to what to go for.

I'm a guy by the way if that makes any difference (to be shamefully honest I did for a while quite like the Fiat 500's - but aside from them being quite a girly car - not that this hugely bothers me but still - I also think they're a tad too small, plus half my friends seem to have one). My budget is going to be something around £5-10k. So far I really like the look of the Corsa or the Fiestas. I would also like one with a built in sat nav if possible. By the looks of it both these cars do have the options for that but I know it'll cost a lot more.

I don't really have any major needs or requirements other than the obvious. I think the size of the Corsa/Fiesta is good as I need a fair bit of room in the back for luggage and stuff. As I said the sat nav is quite a big requirement too. I haven't really decided if I want 3 or 5 door, but I can see 5 door is quite a bit more expensive so I guess it really depends on if I can warrant that extra cost.

Anyway - if anyone could give any help I'd be most grateful! Thank you :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

A Ford Fiesta is quality, the newer model that is. Really zippy to drive and handle well.
Even though you said the Fiat 500 is small, I recommend it tbh. :tongue: It's a nice, well built, quirky small car.
Reply 3
Original post by somemightsay888
A Ford Fiesta is quality, the newer model that is. Really zippy to drive and handle well.

Really? They do look quite nice - I think I'll need to take one for a test drive to see how it feels, it's nice to know they handle well. Don't suppose you happen to know anything regarding them having built in navigation screens?
Original post by yellowcopter
Even though you said the Fiat 500 is small, I recommend it tbh. :tongue: It's a nice, well built, quirky small car.

Haha - I really did consider it at one point, I know amongst guys it seems to be somewhat of an unpopular opinion but I think they're really beautiful and as you said 'quirky' cars. I just think I need something a little bigger unfortunately :frown:
Original post by Himeros

Haha - I really did consider it at one point, I know amongst guys it seems to be somewhat of an unpopular opinion but I think they're really beautiful and as you said 'quirky' cars. I just think I need something a little bigger unfortunately :frown:

It's not there are many guys who think they're pretty nifty runarounds! So long as you don't get a pink Fiat 500 you're fine. :lol:

Fair enough though if you need something bigger Fiestas are definitely worth considering. The latest model is one of the best cars you can get right now. The new Civic might be worth considering too.

The Polo/Golf is reliable but extremely boring looking and bland interior. The new Corsa might be worth looking at though, or a Clio. Toyota Yaris is pretty popular among students too. :smile:
Reply 5
It's not there are many guys who think they're pretty nifty runarounds! So long as you don't get a pink Fiat 500 you're fine. :lol:

Fair enough though if you need something bigger Fiestas are definitely worth considering. The latest model is one of the best cars you can get right now. The new Civic might be worth considering too.

The Polo/Golf is reliable but extremely boring looking and bland interior. The new Corsa might be worth looking at though, or a Clio. Toyota Yaris is pretty popular among students too. :smile:

Thanks a lot for the help! I'll definitely check all of those out :smile:
Yeah I agree with you about the polo/golf - they're quite bland and boring.
Second hand Audi S4.

Dont waste your money on crappy car as listed above.
Reply 7
In the battle between Fiesta and Corsa I'd go Fiesta every time. I have driven both.

Most car websites (Autoexpress etc.) have charts that they update regularly for the "Best cars for young drivers" or "Best cars under 10k" sort of things.
Reply 8
The BMW 1 series is nice, a second had fairly recent one is definitely within your range.

2012 can definitely be had for under 10k but 2013 may push your budget a bit.
Dunno why you'd go for a new corsa or fiesta tbh. It would depreciate like crazy.

I'd go for a second hand audi or BMW as others suggested. You could also get a used seat ibiza FR, they're very nippy.
I agree with the BMW 1 Series but those saying Audis and higher spec BMWs are just being silly

The guys only looking for a uni car :rolleyes:
Reply 11
honda civic type s 07 and above
I agree with the BMW 1 Series but those saying Audis and higher spec BMWs are just being silly

The guys only looking for a uni car :rolleyes:

If its just a "uni" car then he may as well buy a 10 year old honda for a few grand and be done with it.

But the fact of the matter is hes going to be doing long journeys and as such a higher spec car will be more enjoyable on such trips.

Now you will scream fuel consumption. Yet my Daily produces 530hp and i can still achieve an average of 35mpg and 45 over a long run.

Now lets take a BMW 1 Series and their top spec diesel. Less than half the power and only 5mpg better as an average.
Ffs don't get a Corsa, there are far better cars out there.

Don't buy new either, depreciation is for mugs. For a safe bet, buy a top-spec (Titanium), couple of years old, low-miles, used Fiesta. Or if you want something a bit more 'upmarket', then look into used BMW 1 series/3 series, or Audi A3 etc.
Honestly - get yourself a Mitsubishi Mirage. Do NOT let the reviews put you off. That car can do around 55-60 MPG around the city and 70-76 MPG on the motorway. Those are real-world numbers as well, not just numbers plucked out of the air by Mitsubishi. You'll rarely need to fill up with fuel, obviously depending how much you're driving it. It's a solid car, great safety reviews (loads of airbags, hope you wont need them though!). If you can afford a new one, it comes with a 5 year (was 3, now 5 I think) year warranty. There were many unfair reviews about this car purely because people have driven expensive mercs, bmw's, then review this. But it really is a great car in its class.
Fiat 500 abarth
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
Ffs don't get a Corsa, there are far better cars out there.

Don't buy new either, depreciation is for mugs. For a safe bet, buy a top-spec (Titanium), couple of years old, low-miles, used Fiesta. Or if you want something a bit more 'upmarket', then look into used BMW 1 series/3 series, or Audi A3 etc.

Fiesta all the way - very good suggestion.
Original post by shaymarriott
Fiesta all the way - very good suggestion.

I drove a fiesta ST last night. What a piece of **** they are.
Original post by Sam Walters
I drove a fiesta ST last night. What a piece of **** they are.

But if you have a smaller budget and a need for economy and comfort, particularly over longer journeys, a modern 1.6 diesel Fiesta is ideal.

Horses for courses...
Original post by shaymarriott
But if you have a smaller budget and a need for economy and comfort, particularly over longer journeys, a modern 1.6 diesel Fiesta is ideal.

Horses for courses...

Comfort......yeh about that lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending