The Student Room Group

The Ribena ban is wrong - we should let people decide what they want

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/07/28/tesco-ribena-ban-big-bottles_n_7888026.html

So apparently the ribena ban is only for lunchbox-sized ribenas at Tesco, and only the full sugar version. But why are they allowed to tell us what we should be eating and drinking?

They will still sell the sugar free edition - but what if a parent or consumer chooses that they would rather mix the sugar in their diet rather than potentially bad artificial sweeteners?

But health campaigners point out that high-sugar drinks are still available just in different sizes.

Annie O’Leary, Editor in Chief of Netmums, the UK largest parenting site said: "We know from our own research that two-thirds of mums are worried about the amount of sugar their children are consuming - with nearly half of them thinking their family has too much sugar in their diets as a whole.

"So Tesco tackling these concerns will be welcome news for lots of mums, and it's a good starting point to tackle the bigger issues around sugar and food.

I have a lot of gut hate for so called 'net-mums' anyway, but this is just ridiculous. if mums are so concerned - why are they still buying them? They shouldn't have to wait for Tesco to stop selling them, they should just look on the packet for sugar content and stop buying them!!

I think it's about time they let us make our minds up, and give better education instead about content - even though packaging is already good in the UK for this with the traffic light system and compulsory inclusion of calorie content.

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Tesco are a business, they can sell whatever they want. If people want ribena they can go to other stares.

But I do agree that the increasingly common "I don't like it so it should be banned" mantra is moronic
There are many things that are illegal cause they are too dangerous, Many drugs are

I agree with this ban, Because many people dont know what is best for them, its why we have many other things that are banned in many parts of the world
If a business wants to be ethical, and try to remove its part in a practice it despises, e.g. obese ****** parents turning their children into mini Jabba the Huts, then good on them.
Original post by Thisguy11
There are many things that are illegal cause they are too dangerous, Many drugs are

I agree with this ban, Because many people dont know what is best for them, its why we have many other things that are banned in many parts of the world

Absurd. Blanket bans are ridiculous. A lot of drugs have the capacity to be dangerous, but that doesn't make them inherently dangerous. Banning the whole lot because some are dangerous, while others aren't, shows a clear lack of understanding not only of the subject being banned, but also of the concept of personal responsibility.
Take alcohol as a prime example. Drinking isn't dangerous, but driving after drinking is. To then make the judgement that because of that, alcohol is therefore dangerous, is daft.

What about pharmaceutical drugs? To quote Katt Williams, "aspirin is perfectly legal but if you take 13 of them mother****ers it'll be your last headache". People use painkillers all the time, but if you take too many of them they can be dangerous. Should we ban them too?

People shouldn't be deciding what other people can and can't put into their bodies, regardless of what it is. Wrapping someone in cotton wool takes away part of their sense of personal responsibility, and with it, their common sense.

Original post by GuppyFox

I have a lot of gut hate for so called 'net-mums' anyway, but this is just ridiculous. if mums are so concerned - why are they still buying them? They shouldn't have to wait for Tesco to stop selling them, they should just look on the packet for sugar content and stop buying them!!

To me that translates as "I want my child to have a diet that contains less sugar but I still want to be able to buy them things that contain a high sugar content."

It's interesting that they chose to stop selling Ribena (an internationally known and well-loved drink) instead of their own cheap version of Red Bull (which tastes like a fine mixture of rotten piss and paint-thinner and is one step away from being meth).
Reply 5
Tesco don't stock cars. Doesn't mean they're banning us from using them, though, does it?
Reply 6
Original post by Drunk Punx
To me that translates as "I want my child to have a diet that contains less sugar but I still want to be able to buy them things that contain a high sugar content."

It's interesting that they chose to stop selling Ribena (an internationally known and well-loved drink) instead of their own cheap version of Red Bull (which tastes like a fine mixture of rotten piss and paint-thinner and is one step away from being meth).

Their red bull tastes better than the co-op equivalent (yuck)
Original post by Drunk Punx
Absurd. Blanket bans are ridiculous. A lot of drugs have the capacity to be dangerous, but that doesn't make them inherently dangerous. Banning the whole lot because some are dangerous, while others aren't, shows a clear lack of understanding not only of the subject being banned, but also of the concept of personal responsibility.
Take alcohol as a prime example. Drinking isn't dangerous, but driving after drinking is. To then make the judgement that because of that, alcohol is therefore dangerous, is daft.

What about pharmaceutical drugs? To quote Katt Williams, "aspirin is perfectly legal but if you take 13 of them mother****ers it'll be your last headache". People use painkillers all the time, but if you take too many of them they can be dangerous. Should we ban them too?

People shouldn't be deciding what other people can and can't put into their bodies, regardless of what it is. Wrapping someone in cotton wool takes away part of their sense of personal responsibility, and with it, their common sense.

I agree that there are many drugs that are relatively safe, and also ban need to be not specific but have general rules.

Are you saying no food whatsoever should be illegal?
Reply 8
What's worse, sugars or artificial sweeteners like acessulfame k?

Honestly, it seems that people like me who don't mind the occasional sugary drink and actually have some control suffer due to others. In the end, shop elsewhere.
(edited 8 years ago)
If you remove the right for businesses to sell what they want (and not sell what they don't want) you're not letting people decide what they want.

If people like sugary drinks they'll buy elsewhere.
I agree that there are many drugs that are relatively safe, and also ban need to be not specific but have general rules.

Are you saying no food whatsoever should be illegal?

I'm saying that people should be left alone to make their own way in life without the government and other figures of authority trying to mollycoddle us.

A ban that is not specific and ends up banning many positive things that are in the same category as a couple of bad things is a poor ban.

Educate people on the effects that certain things have when consumed, because outright banning them is a step too far IMO.

Edit: what Tesco stocks is its own business. It's a market that provides a service and if it wants to stop providing part of that service then it's well within its right to do so. However, that's not the same as actually banning something.
(edited 8 years ago)
Don't really care. Don't like Tesco anyway so more reason for me to shop elsewhere

Posted from TSR Mobile
We have been letting people choose there own foods for decades now which has led to obesity and diabetes in a uncontrollable ascension. Sugar is a addictive drug, this is a good move by tesco.
Original post by GuppyFox
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/07/28/tesco-ribena-ban-big-bottles_n_7888026.html

So apparently the ribena ban is only for lunchbox-sized ribenas at Tesco, and only the full sugar version. But why are they allowed to tell us what we should be eating and drinking?
]

What ban? It hasnt been banned, Tesco have just made a publicity stunt to not sell a certain product.
Reply 14
So instead of sugar Ribena you make people buy aspartame Ribena? I love how stupid they think the public is:wink:
Reply 15
Original post by digistar_100
We have been letting people choose there own foods for decades now which has led to obesity and diabetes in a uncontrollable ascension. Sugar is a addictive drug, this is a good move by tesco.

Calm down communist we are not under full communism. Yet....:wink:
Original post by Drewski
Tesco don't stock cars.

Don't give them ideas.
Reply 17

Exactly, I mean i'm underweight and have a fast metabolism and artificial sweeteners give me a migraine so we should definitely ban low sugar drinks and
artificial sweeteners!1!1! Whats best for me is best for everyone else11!!1
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by n01
Exactly, I mean i'm underweight and have a fast metabolism and artificial sweeteners give me a migraine so we should definitely ban low sugar drinks and
artificial sweeteners!1!1! Whats best for me is best for everyone else11!!1

This ban isnt based of one person, its about the majority
No, let them get fat. You can't stop stupid people from doing stupid things. But if they refuse treatment for obesity, cut off their benefits and force them to pay for any and all healthcare costs as a direct result of their obesity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending