The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Travelling to Coventry University?

I live in Sandwell so I will be catching the one way train to Coventry University. My question is that, if I purchase the following pass for bus, train and metro will I be able to use it in Coventry? As it says it covers all zones and on the map Coventry is "zone 5". Feeling confused :frown:

I will be purchasing the "All Buses Plus all Rail Zones and the Metro
For all buses* in the Network West Midlands area plus all
rail zones and Metro travel. £260.00 http://www.networkwestmidlands.com/student/Student.aspx"

Does anyone here travel to Coventry University? If so, have you brought a travel pass or do you just buy tickets everyday? :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymousxxxxxxx
Coventry is "zone 5".

Zone 5 ends in Barnet m8. Coventry has to be like zone 50 lol.
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Reply 2
Yes you can use it in Coventry.

I travelled for 2 years from Birmingham to Coventry, never had a problem using the same travel pass in both cities.

Edit: Coventry is in Zone 5 and "all zones" is basically up until Zone 5 (1-5).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Plutonian
Zone 5 ends in Barnet m8. Coventry has to be like zone 50 lol.

http://www.networkwestmidlands.com/railmap/

On this map it says Coventry is a part of zone 5.
Original post by Compact
Yes you can use it in Coventry.

I travelled for 2 years from Birmingham to Coventry, never had a problem using the same travel pass in both cities.

Edit: Coventry is in Zone 5 and "all zones" is basically up until Zone 5 (1-5).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for reassuring me :smile: .. I will be catching the train from Sandwell and Dudley (which is zone 4 anyways) to Coventry.

From Coventry I will catch the bus to the University.

Do you walk from the train station or do you catch the bus? If so, what bus do you catch and where from? :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
http://www.networkwestmidlands.com/railmap/

On this map it says Coventry is a part of zone 5.

It was a joke m8. You have to live in London to get it.
Original post by Plutonian
It was a joke m8. You have to live in London to get it.

Oh right, I'm sorry I don't live in London LOL
Reply 7
Thank you so much for reassuring me :smile: .. I will be catching the train from Sandwell and Dudley (which is zone 4 anyways) to Coventry.

Do you walk from the train station or do you catch the bus? If so, what bus do you catch and where from? :smile:

No problemo
I knew one or two people who travelled from Sandwell too so don't worry, you'll be fine.

I'd usually walk since most of the university buildings were only 15-20 mins away (if you're taller and faster it can take less time).
8/8A are safe bets, If the rest of the buses confuse you stick to the 8s. They go right through the centre and the bus station.
9 and 9A towards the centre or University Hospital. Some are heading the opposite way to Green Lane, don't catch those. I accidentally went on it, not fun when heading to a 9am lecture.
585 is a not a National Express service but you can still use your normal bus pass with it.
A lot has changed around the train station and the bus routes/stops. I've heard the 12, which goes to the university as well, and other buses stop right by the train station now but I'm not 100% sure.

All the buses stop either right in front of the station (8s and 585) or just across on the opposite road (9s, 12). It should all be visible when you exit the station.

I'm heading to Coventry later today so I'll double check the buses for you and probably myself lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd recommend catching the bus at first, but once you're comfortable with the area walking is the quickest option. I use to travel from Birmingham in my first year, now I'm moving to Cov.

Oh and reading a book is a pretty good way to kill some train time. I went through about 12 or 13 books during my first year reading only on the train. I had read roughly 3 books in the 2 years before that haha.
Original post by Compact
No problemo
I knew one or two people who travelled from Sandwell too so don't worry, you'll be fine.

I'd usually walk since most of the university buildings were only 15-20 mins away (if you're taller and faster it can take less time).
8/8A are safe bets, If the rest of the buses confuse you stick to the 8s. They go right through the centre and the bus station.
9 and 9A towards the centre or University Hospital. Some are heading the opposite way to Green Lane, don't catch those. I accidentally went on it, not fun when heading to a 9am lecture.
585 is a not a National Express service but you can still use your normal bus pass with it.
A lot has changed around the train station and the bus routes/stops. I've heard the 12, which goes to the university as well, and other buses stop right by the train station now but I'm not 100% sure.

All the buses stop either right in front of the station (8s and 585) or just across on the opposite road (9s, 12). It should all be visible when you exit the station.

I'm heading to Coventry later today so I'll double check the buses for you and probably myself lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

During around April the 8s, 9s, 585 and 85 would go directly to the Uni and then to the city centre vs going through city centre then the Uni. Although I think that was due to roadworks. Would be interesting to know if that is now permanent.
Reply 10
Original post by Optimum_
During around April the 8s, 9s, 585 and 85 would go directly to the Uni and then to the city centre vs going through city centre then the Uni. Although I think that was due to roadworks. Would be interesting to know if that is now permanent.

Good to know they're still going to the Uni at least lol
If it's anything like all the route changes in Birmingham, the changes will probably be somewhat permanent. I went once sometime in June and there were still a lot of road work.
Original post by Compact
Good to know they're still going to the Uni at least lol
If it's anything like all the route changes in Birmingham, the changes will probably be somewhat permanent. I went once sometime in June and there were still a lot of road work.

Birmingham is a maze now haha.
And I do hope they're permanent. It meant getting to Uni in around 5 mins when the buses went directly there first.
Reply 12
Birmingham is a maze now haha.
And I do hope they're permanent. It meant getting to Uni in around 5 mins when the buses went directly there first.

Ugh, my usual bus used to go around all the main areas in the centre (Broad St, Market, near Moor Street station and Colmore Row) so more stops to choose from. Now, Colmore Row is the only decent stop but they've even messed around with the bus stops there :sigh:

The old route was a mission. On busy mornings it used to take me a good 20+ mins on the bus sometimes. I guess National Express are making some good changes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Compact
Ugh, my usual bus used to go around all the main areas in the centre (Broad St, Market, near Moor Street station and Colmore Row) so more stops to choose from. Now, Colmore Row is the only decent stop but they've even messed around with the bus stops there :sigh:

The old route was a mission. On busy mornings it used to take me a good 20+ mins on the bus sometimes. I guess National Express are making some good changes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My bus route hasn't changed at all, the problem with the city centre is getting around in a car, impossible.

And it takes me at least 30 mins in the morning to get to new street. Although in the evenings it would take close to an hour to get back home. Broad street is horrible. Hence I'm off to Coventry for my 2nd year.

No need, it's only a short walk form Cov train station to the university. It's all been done up outside the station lately, I visited some family in Cov recently and it was unrecognisable and actually looks nice. (It takes a lot for me to compliment that place :tongue:)
Reply 15
My bus route hasn't changed at all, the problem with the city centre is getting around in a car, impossible.

And it takes me at least 30 mins in the morning to get to new street. Although in the evenings it would take close to an hour to get back home. Broad street is horrible. Hence I'm off to Coventry for my 2nd year.

Lucky lol
I don't drive but whenever I get a lift it's a mission. Sometimes, even the messy bus route is more bearable.

It was more or less the same for me, although with all the additional diversions it might be worse from now on. The whole journey to and from Coventry would usually take 1.5 hours though. I'm planning on moving to Cov too for this year. 2 years of commuting was more than enough lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

The tearing down of Paradise Forum and the old library make going round the ring road an absolute nightmare if you're driving.
Original post by Compact
Lucky lol
I don't drive but whenever I get a lift it's a mission. Sometimes, even the messy bus route is more bearable.

It was more or less the same for me, although with all the additional diversions it might be worse from now on. The whole journey to and from Coventry would usually take 1.5 hours though. I'm planning on moving to Cov too for this year. 2 years of commuting was more than enough lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Buses are definitely more bearable.

I think I could survive another year of travelling but I'd save so much time if I stayed in cov. Time is money :wink:

Oh, and being able to go home during the 3 hour breaks. That was a killer!
Original post by Compact
No problemo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you sooo much! I'M 5ft 6 lmao. I was hoping to catch the bus from Coventry train station but I may walk but I'm scared of getting lost LOL.. I can always ask the person on the bus if this is going to Coventry University (Faculty of Engineering) .. This is what Coventry University website says:
"Alternatively, bus numbers 8/8A/9/9A/85/585/X30 leave the station for the city centre every ten minutes (every 30 minutes after 6pm). Ask the driver for 'Pool Meadow', which is the bus terminus. This is opposite Priory Street. Make sure you have the exact cash ready as no change is given on the buses.If you choose to walk, it will take you 15–20 minutes. There are extensive building works between the train station and the city. There are pedestrian diversion signs to the city centre, then pedestrian signposts to Coventry Cathedral."

So my safe bet is catching the 8, 8A and 585?

What do you study at Coventry University btw? :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by moonkatt
The tearing down of Paradise Forum and the old library make going round the ring road an absolute nightmare if you're driving.

Yess haha, Broad street gets packed with cars that all have to turn onto the smallest road on the planet in front of Hyatt hotel.

And getting a glimpse of one of the signs, the roadworks there won't be finished until 2016.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending