The Student Room Group

Why so little oriental/white relationship mixing in the UK?

Overall, there's probably more racism to black people than people from the far-east. Yet I see many more black/white couples. There are no far-east/white couples, and I've never seen a single one where the guy is from the far -east and girl is white. I would also broaden this out, have also never seen South-Asian/Far-east relationships, not one, nor black/far-east relationships-black/south asian is rare too. It seems like Asians in general are just less inclined to date outside ethnicity, and if south-asians do it's with whites.

Has anyone else noticed these trends in interracial relationships, and what are the reasons do you think?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I thought this was going to be that Mr.Smurf guy.
And no I've actually seen quite a few oriental with white relationships, I've never seen oriental and black though.
Original post by drowzee
I thought this was going to be that Mr.Smurf guy.
And no I've actually seen quite a few oriental with white relationships, I've never seen oriental and black though.

Have you? The thing that is mystifying to me is that some chinese people have been here for so long, and yet whilst caribbean people are a known community and part of our national cultural life, and have had kids with white people and all, chinese people seem to be still speaking the language amongst themselves and seemingly only marrying other people of chinese descent. Have I got this wrong?
I just find them a mystery, I've reaised I never notice them or see them in relationships with whites even though they should now be British-they seem indistinguishable from people who just came over last week.

Also-was it like a white guy with a thai woman? I have seen those white guys running pubs with Thai food, where the wife is Thai. I have literally never seen a white woman with a far-eastern guy.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm an oriental guy who loves white girls but they don't seem to ever like us oriental guys which sucks :frown:
im south asian and only go out with white girls. sleep with everybody though.
Im an interacial child. Ignorance is strongth
answer is simply because the media doesn't show asian-white relationships and therefore do not promote it.

also some people do not like mixing with different cultures and traditions because problems may arise
Who is waiting for mr smurf to unleash his tsr-famous, killer phrase???
there are many more black people in the UK than oriental people...and lots of oriental people are immigrants who didnt grow up in the UK, dont speak great english/ too different culturally and not integrated yet
therefore its obvious you will see way more black-white couples than oriental-white couples, british blacks in the UK far outnumber british asians
MrSmurf is that your new account brah
Anyways same as what @driftawaay said
Reply 10
Who really cares ? Why is this troubling your mind? Are you looking for love or a partner of specific skin colour to show off?
Original post by karl pilkington
I'm an oriental guy who loves white girls but they don't seem to ever like us oriental guys which sucks :frown:

Omg how many times????

You will be the death of us all
My close Chinese friend tells me that Chinese girls are very attracted to white guys in this country. However in my experience Chinese girls are frigid as **** and incredibly naive (when it comes to relationships and sexual experience)
Much easier to just stick to white girls because there's no culture barrier and they seem to be a bit more mature and have more experience.
As for why white girls don't generally be in relationships with oriental I imagine it's because of similar reasons to the above and the fact they are generally tiny and look about 12. I do actually know two couples like this however.
Reply 13
I was expecting Mr smurf as the OP.

But you won't see many because there are not many orientals in UK but 2001 stats show 30% of Chinese women are married to white men and 15% Chinese men are married to white women.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/ethnicity/focus-on-ethnicity-and-identity/focus-on-ethnicity-and-identity-summary-report/focus-on---ethnicity-and-identity-summary-report.pdf
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by driftawaay
there are many more black people in the UK than oriental people...and lots of oriental people are immigrants who didnt grow up in the UK, dont speak great english/ too different culturally and not integrated yet
therefore its obvious you will see way more black-white couples than oriental-white couples, british blacks in the UK far outnumber british asians

This is interesting. I see the first point, not sure on the figures about how many more black people there are. The second I'm not convinced-yes I know there are recent arrivals not so well integrated. But there are, even if smaller, oriental communities that have been here a long time, like those in Liverpool and Manchester. It's still surprising how few of them would appear to be in mixed relationships. I guess I'm thinking specifically of chinese here-I have seen the thai ones, as I say. But Chinese guy/white girl? Never. I am also making the conjecture that many of the Chinese you think have -just come over and are not integrated have actually been here ages, but are just weirdly below the radar in our culture.
I hate to use a stereotype, but they are almost being inscrutable and mysterious in a way in how well they keep to themselves and no-one notices. More broadly, don't you think it's weird thatw e always talk of black 'representation' in acting or politics, but there are established oriental communities who get none of this?

Where is an oriental descent MP or actor? I can only think of Gok Wan, who is half caucasian, and I remember the Underwoods, also half caucasian.
Original post by RoundTrip
My close Chinese friend tells me that Chinese girls are very attracted to white guys in this country. However in my experience Chinese girls are frigid as **** and incredibly naive (when it comes to relationships and sexual experience)
Much easier to just stick to white girls because there's no culture barrier and they seem to be a bit more mature and have more experience.
As for why white girls don't generally be in relationships with oriental I imagine it's because of similar reasons to the above and the fact they are generally tiny and look about 12. I do actually know two couples like this however.

I think it's not so much frigid, on my experience of Chinese women, just that they culturally look down upon giving it out first date. Is that so bad? But I do get the impression it's harder with them.

But even with what you mention-still no white women wanting oriental guys -I think it's true what they say, white women are the most conservative in partner choice.
It seems that a white guy dating 'outside' will go for oriental women most, then south asian women then black women. Whereas a white woman dating 'outside' will go for black guys, maybe south-asian, but not often, and doesn't like orientals.
I think this may have to do with body-type--Asians being petite, and blacks often being bigger and more powerfully built-hence the woman feels protected by a big black guy, likes his physique and think an oriental weedy. Whereas the white guy prefers the petite nature of the Asian rather than a black woman who is bigger compared to him, and maybe makes him a weed not only physically.
(edited 8 years ago)
There are loads of White guys with Oriental girlfriends. But no white girls with Oriental boyfriends. :sad:
Original post by karl pilkington

Lol why do I hear this so much on tsr :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr Smurf
There are loads of White guys with Oriental girlfriends. But no white girls with Oriental boyfriends. :sad:

I was just waiting for you to say this :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's hope OP :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest