The Student Room Group

Justice for Cecil the Lion!

The revolting hunter had Cecil lured out of his pridelands and shot him with an arrow. He was only injured, so the hunter tracked him for almost two days, and then finished him off with a rifle. He then skinned him and hacked off his head.

This is Jeffrey Dahmer-type behaviour. I demand justice for Cecil.

The legend of Cecil started about three and a half years ago, when the then-10-year-old lion was kicked out of his pride, beaten by younger, more powerful males. Hunters argue that as loners, prideless male lions aren't as important to sustaining lion populations.

But Cecil wasn't finished. He soon teamed up with another lone male named Jericho, and the lions regained control of the region's two prides, one of which consists of three lionesses and seven cubs under seven months old.

The loss of Cecil most likely spells the end of Jericho's reign, and the possible loss of the pride's cubs. Jericho, as a single male, will be unable to defend the two prides and cubs from new males that invade the territory.

Poor Cecil :frown: I hope the hunter is extradited and imprisoned for many years

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not sure why you're posting this. There are much more important things tbh.
Original post by Imperion

It's staggering that people still continue with this line of thought.
Reply 4

We can focus on more than one issue at once. This appalling incident highlights the problem of trophy-hunting in general, which is an immoral, despicable sport in which people inflict unnecessary suffering on other sentient beings for fun. We're regularly outraged by people killing humans, so I don't see why this is trivial simply, presumably, because the victim is a member of another species.

And, this incident in particular will have a negative impact on humans, seeing as this particular lion was a tourist favourite, and probably brought in a lot of money for local communities. I'd also be pretty scared if my dentist derived pleasure from killing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Viva Emptiness
It's staggering that people still continue with this line of thought.

Not sure you meant that in a positive or negative way.
If they ever find out who killed Cecil the Lion. The one responsible for killing that lion shouldn't be allowed to get away with it
I swear, they'll hang for this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by viddy9
We can focus on more than one issue at once. This appalling incident highlights the problem of trophy-hunting in general, which is an immoral, despicable sport in which people inflict unnecessary suffering on other sentient beings for fun. We're regularly outraged by people killing humans, so I don't see why this is trivial simply because the victim is a member of another species, presumably.

And, this incident in particular will have a negative impact on humans, seeing as this particular lion was a tourist favourite, and probably brought in a lot of money for local communities.

Well said. It's just perplexing to think of an animal as opposed to the hundreds dying everyday. Saving a couple more lives would surely benefit society more?
Reply 9
I can't fathom the immorality of jetting off to the other side of the planet to kill one of nature's most beautiful and proud creatures, an animal that wasn't threatening you at all, an animal you killed mercilessly from a safe distance, being the coward that you are.

My only hope is that this thoroughly disgusting human being is sent to Zimbabwe for 15 years in prison. I expect he'll be properly harassed from animal rights activists, and may lose his dental business.

If killing beautiful, helpless, endangered animals is your thing, then I'm ashamed you're from the same planet as me.
Not sure you meant that in a positive or negative way.

Seriously?

Well said. It's just perplexing to think of an animal as opposed to the hundreds dying everyday. Saving a couple more lives would surely benefit society more?

Did you miss what he said? Some of us, you know, are capable of holding more than one opinion at the same time. Just because I think this pathetic **** who thinks there's 'sport' in showing than humans with weaponry can kill other species ought to have his business boycotted and, if possible, to be imprisoned doesn't mean I can't also think that we should do something about ISIS, or whatever other issue you're thinking of.
Original post by navarre
I can't fathom the immorality of jetting off to the other side of the planet to kill one of nature's most beautiful and proud creatures, an animal that wasn't threatening you at all, an animal you killed mercilessly from a safe distance, being the coward that you are.

My only hope is that this thoroughly disgusting human being is sent to Zimbabwe for 15 years in prison. I expect he'll be properly harassed from animal rights activists, and may lose his dental business.

If killing beautiful, helpless, endangered animals is your thing, then I'm ashamed you're from the same planet as me.

Oh hai, Petyr!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Seriously?

Did you miss what he said? Some of us, you know, are capable of holding more than one opinion at the same time. Just because I think this pathetic **** who thinks there's 'sport' in showing than humans with weaponry can kill other species ought to have his business boycotted and, if possible, to be imprisoned doesn't mean I can't also think that we should do something about ISIS, or whatever other issue you're thinking of.

Yes, I'm not really getting what she's implying.

Sorry if I missed the point. :K:
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne

Hello, Ser. I am a man of wit. I have been known to talk men bent on killing me out of their smallclothes.
Original post by navarre
Hello, Ser. I am a man of wit. I have been known to talk men bent on killing me out of their smallclothes.

Oh I've heard of such a few. Wasn't Lyonel Corbray one of them?

Well played on that one, my lord.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15

Because it's an outrage. One can walk and chew gum

That some people will respond to any particular news story with the claim that "there are more important things we must focus on" is not only a value judgment, it's entirely dishonest

If you're not interested in the thread, don't post.
Reply 16
Original post by sharkbate633
If they ever find out who killed Cecil the Lion. The one responsible for killing that lion shouldn't be allowed to get away with it

We know who did it, it was an American dentist from Minnesota. He paid Β£35,000 to kill poor Cecil

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/29/cecil-the-lion-calls-for-prosecution-us-dentist-walter-palmer
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
Oh I've heard of such a few. Wasn't Lyonel Corbray one of them?

Well played on that one, my lord.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Baring steel at a parley is an insufferable crime against the gods, for those who believe in that sort of thing.
Original post by ExcitedPup

That some people will respond to any particular news story with the claim that "there are more important things we must focus on" is not only a value judgment, it's entirely dishonest

Basically what these people are saying is, 'I don't care if animals get killed so you shouldn't either and you should start posting about stuff that I care about'.
Original post by ExcitedPup

How is it dishonest? Have you not heard of priorities? I'm not saying it's not a problem.

Aha, I already have 4 quotes in the first page of this thread. I do expect more :biggrin: That's where my interest will come from.

Quick Reply

Latest