The Student Room Group

How many words long should my EPQ be?

I've heard 5000 words, but is this a minimum, a maximum, or just a guideline of how much you 'could' write?

Also, do appendices count towards the final word count? My appendices are very long because I had to do observations...
Reply 1
Original post by AdAbsurdum
I've heard 5000 words, but is this a minimum, a maximum, or just a guideline of how much you 'could' write?

Also, do appendices count towards the final word count? My appendices are very long because I had to do observations...

Which exam board?
I think it's a guideline really - I wrote over 7000 words in the end and still got full marks, but if you do go over the word limit you have to make sure you are being concise and have really cut it down as much as possible - mine was at one point over 10000 words before editing.
Reply 3
Original post by Compost
Which exam board?

AQA, thanks for the response
Reply 4
Original post by dragonkeeper999
I think it's a guideline really - I wrote over 7000 words in the end and still got full marks, but if you do go over the word limit you have to make sure you are being concise and have really cut it down as much as possible - mine was at one point over 10000 words before editing.

Ah okay, thanks :smile: What was your EPQ on out of interest?

I did a 6k essay and got 49/50
Reply 6
Original post by Magnus Taylor
I did a 6k essay and got 49/50

What did you lose the mark for? Haha
[QUOTE=AdAbsurdum;58066039]What did you lose the mark for? Haha

My reviewing at the end of the project. I'd started the EPQ in September and finished the essay in November lol. The meetings dragged out to like April and completing the log online was horrible
Reply 8
AQA, thanks for the response

The spec http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-W-7993-SP.PDF says:
All Project products must include a written report ofbetween 1000 and 5000 words. The exact length ofeach written report will depend on the nature of theproject, the subject area or topic chosen and theother evidence provided.A project which consists solely of written work shouldbe approximately 5000 words, for example a researchreport of an investigation, exploration of a hypothesisor an extended essay or academic report inappropriate form. Projects where the majority of theevidence is provided in other formats should include areport which is at least 1000 words.
The written report or record is likely to contain thefollowing:
references to sources of and range of informationaccessed
historical literature, or other background research• details of the design, knowledge, understandingand skills used
a conclusion to include an evaluation of theconclusions or outcomes
The written report should be of sufficient length toexplore the issues. It should use an appropriateterminology, style and form of writing.

There is no stated penalty for writing too much, but if you write way over 5000 words you may annoy the marker.
Ah okay, thanks :smile: What was your EPQ on out of interest?

No problem :smile: The optimisation of the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) for medical and forensic applications (PCR is used to multiply up DNA for analysis) :smile:

My EPQ essay was about 4300 words long, and I got an A for it. I think 5000 words is just a guideline as I seem to remember my EPQ mentor saying that approx 3500 words is the absolute minimum that is acceptable and to try not to go over 6000. I would check with your head of EPQ/EPQ mentor though to make sure :smile:
Original post by Compost
The spec http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-W-7993-SP.PDF says:
All Project products must include a written report ofbetween 1000 and 5000 words. The exact length ofeach written report will depend on the nature of theproject, the subject area or topic chosen and theother evidence provided.A project which consists solely of written work shouldbe approximately 5000 words, for example a researchreport of an investigation, exploration of a hypothesisor an extended essay or academic report inappropriate form. Projects where the majority of theevidence is provided in other formats should include areport which is at least 1000 words.
The written report or record is likely to contain thefollowing:
references to sources of and range of informationaccessed
historical literature, or other background research• details of the design, knowledge, understandingand skills used
a conclusion to include an evaluation of theconclusions or outcomes
The written report should be of sufficient length toexplore the issues. It should use an appropriateterminology, style and form of writing.

There is no stated penalty for writing too much, but if you write way over 5000 words you may annoy the marker.

My brother wrote over 11000 words and he got A*. My EPQ is currently 3838 words but at this rate the final essay will be between 8000 and 8500 which I think is ok considering the time I have and the amount of stuff I want to discuss
ok well, the spec (AQA) says 5k, my teacher said max 5.5k, but ive written 6k and some of you guys are saying you wrote more and got full marks. I recognise that going over word limits is bad at uni tho (so dont do it at uni!) but i dont think this is too much of an issue??
im screwed mine is now at 10093 words and haven't even done the bibliography yet
UPDATE: my EPQ had a total of just under 5500 words, and I got an A*. My advice would be: make sure you can answer the question you are asking, or set out to achieve your aim, and DO NOT WAFFLE OR PLAGIARIZE
Reply 15
Original post by AmazingPhysicist
DO NOT WAFFLE

:biggrin: what do you mean by this? Like going around in circles and just repeating the same ideas but with different words and phrases etc.?
Reply 16
Original post by Lawan_S
:biggrin: what do you mean by this? Like going around in circles and just repeating the same ideas but with different words and phrases etc.?

yes
Original post by Lawan_S

precisely
Original post by Lawan_S

Exactly
Original post by username2088165
My EPQ essay was about 4300 words long, and I got an A for it. I think 5000 words is just a guideline as I seem to remember my EPQ mentor saying that approx 3500 words is the absolute minimum that is acceptable and to try not to go over 6000. I would check with your head of EPQ/EPQ mentor though to make sure :smile:

when?

Quick Reply

Latest