The Student Room Group

Internship in leveraged finance vs full time job in trading

I have just completed an MSc Finance degree at a top 3 school in the UK and have been offered an 11 month internship in leveraged finance at a tier 2 bank. I also have a final round interview for a full-time equity trading role at another tier 2 bank where I used to work in middle office.

I am facing a huge dilemma. On one hand, leveraged finance is definitely a career path that I want to go down, given my interest in PE, the chance to gain good modelling skills and exit opportunities. However, the role is not permanent and pays considerably lower than a BB. The trading role on the other hand is permanent, pays a lot more than the internship and I really liked the team and know the company well. But it is not really the career path I want.

Should I focus on my long-term career plans instead of short term financial and job security?

Thanks!
go with what you want to do else your life will be miserable and you'd always be thinking what if

life's too short imo
Reply 2
Original post by bop90
I have just completed an MSc Finance degree at a top 3 school in the UK and have been offered an 11 month internship in leveraged finance at a tier 2 bank. I also have a final round interview for a full-time equity trading role at another tier 2 bank where I used to work in middle office.

I am facing a huge dilemma. On one hand, leveraged finance is definitely a career path that I want to go down, given my interest in PE, the chance to gain good modelling skills and exit opportunities. However, the role is not permanent and pays considerably lower than a BB. The trading role on the other hand is permanent, pays a lot more than the internship and I really liked the team and know the company well. But it is not really the career path I want.

Should I focus on my long-term career plans instead of short term financial and job security?

Thanks!

If PE is what you really want then take the LevFin internship and whilst you're there try and land yourself something better. If it's a year long internship then you're de facto an Analyst 1, so may be able to lateral to another bank as a fully fledged analyst.

If you do trading you're just going to have to go and do banking anyway before you can get into PE, so might as well just take the banking job now.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending