The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Ask Me! UoB 3rd year

Hi guys!

I'm going to start my third year studying history at the University of Birmingham soon, and I remember the stress of this time of year. If there is absolutely anything I can do to help let me know and I'll do my best
Reply 1
I'm hopefully going to Sheffield this year, any general tips for first years? (I know this is broad)
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Original post by Detiri17
I'm hopefully going to Sheffield this year, any general tips for first years? (I know this is broad)

Hi!

Well there are a few things, number one is make sure you meet people. This is pretty much the only week in your life since playschool you can walk up to randomers and ask them to be your friend, and everyone does it. Go up and talk to people, knock on the doors of other people's flats, go up to people on your course (during many freshers events you write your course on your t-shirt). Make sure also that you bring tea/coffee/biscuits on the first day, having something to offer flatmates is a great way to break the ice.

Also start your packing list now, and do google searches for frequently forgotten things, the last thing you want is to do what I did and turn up to Uni without coat hangers!

Throughout the year throw yourself into everything. Experiment with your course (maybe the way you work, the questions you answer. This is the only time in your degree where it's safe to try something new and have it go not amazingly because 1st year (unless you're a medic etc.) doesn't count. Make sure you try loads of societies and things as well, it doesn't matter if you try something once and are awful at it but you might just find something you love

Any other questions? :-)
Reply 3
Thanks for the reply :smile: Bit of a blunder not taking coat hangers :wink: I hear a door stop is recommended for getting to know people in the first weeks.
Reply 4
Original post by Detiri17
Thanks for the reply :smile: Bit of a blunder not taking coat hangers :wink: I hear a door stop is recommended for getting to know people in the first weeks.

Absolutely! It just gives the impression you're an open person, our flat kept our doors opened almost constantly so it made for a really great social environment
Original post by TomGidders
Hi guys!

I'm going to start my third year studying history at the University of Birmingham soon, and I remember the stress of this time of year. If there is absolutely anything I can do to help let me know and I'll do my best

Rate the nightlife of both Birmingham and the UoB campus?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Ridwan1473
Rate the nightlife of both Birmingham and the UoB campus?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well the nightlife on campus is held at the Guild. During termtime every Wednesday is Sports Night (usually for all the sports teams but anyone can go), and every Saturday is Fab. Both are great nights because they're cheap and as they're at the Guild you tend to see loads of people you know.

The main clubbing area is Broad Street and on there is pretty much any kind of club you can imagine catering to all tastes. There are also some really great bars around the Arcadian area and the Jewellery Quarter and some nice cocktail places up closer to Snow Hill and Aston.

In addition to that there are a great section of pubs in Harbourne and Selly Oak which are the main student areas. I've certainly never been short of somewhere to go whether I want a quiet night with a good pub quiz or a loud night in a huge club.

On top of all that we've got some great music venues from small places like Jam House up to huge arenas like the Genting

Does that help?
Reply 7
What's the student housing like in Harbourne vs Selly Oak? I know someone who just graduated this year and she recommended moving to Harbourne instead of Selly Oak after halls. She didn't really elaborate on exactly why Harbourne would be much better so what's your thoughts on this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by goodwinning
What's the student housing like in Harbourne vs Selly Oak? I know someone who just graduated this year and she recommended moving to Harbourne instead of Selly Oak after halls. She didn't really elaborate on exactly why Harbourne would be much better so what's your thoughts on this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Harbourne (and this is generalising) tends to be higher quality housing, however it's sometimes not as close to the uni and is in a main residential area instead of Selly Oak which has a very student vibe and its usually closer to the campus and shops. I have lived in 2 different houses in Selly Oak to date and don't regret the decision but equally other people will tell you they had the same experience in Harbourne. It's personal choice, but the beauty is you have the choice. When it comes to it just make sure you look round both
Hi! Any advice on the guild tickets to buy for freshers' fest? I'm torn between standard and plus! I'm up for all the partying but I'm worried I might end up alone at the events if my future flat mates haven't bought tickets!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending