The Student Room Group

US Colleges International Students (Fall 2016), The Official Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ivybridge
The Common Application reopens on Monday (August 1st) for people applying for entry in Fall 2016 to US colleges. This is the official thread for those applying to colleges in the United States so, copy this out and fill in the blanks:

Where are you applying?

What standardised tests are you sitting?

Will you be applying for Financial Aid?

Are you applying through the Common App, Universal App or Other?

What's your prospective major?

Additional Comments:

:bl::nyan::party2::party::work::woo:

Spoiler

Eeeeeey!!

I am so excited to apply! Though I'm taking a gap year! I've finished A2's last month and I was really pleased with my results which would have made me a competitive applicant for Oxbridge, were it not for the horrific debt I would have to face after graduating :-(. I am a 'financially needy' student and I know that there is some great financial aid available on the condition that you are an equally great candidate. This has been on my mind for the past 3 years and has possibly given me an extra impetus to challenge myself in everything I did.

Where are you applying?

Definitive list not in existence yet. However, the following seem quite likely.

a) UNC Chapel-Hill (applying for Morehead Cain - what an amazing opportunity!!! if you don't know it, give it a google and consider it)
b) Chicago
c) Harvard
d) Yale
e) Duke
f) Stanford
g) Bowdoin

What standardised tests are you sitting? Have done SAT French with listening (770) and SAT I in October. Will have to sit another subject test, which is unfortunate, given that I did French, P.E. and Psychology at A2. Other than French, which I have already done, the subject matter in the other two subjects do not lend themselves to showing off my knowledge in any of the remaining subject tests

Will you be applying for Financial Aid? Yes. If for some reason the US does not work out, I will go and study somewhere in Europe or become a full time Football Coach.

Are you applying through the Common App, Universal App or Other? Common app for the most part. Though not an option for some of the scholarships I am pursuing

What's your prospective majors: Probably undeclared. But if I had to choose now, philosophy.

Additional Comments: been waiting to apply for three years! It's been on my mind ever since we had an Admissions officer come and visit my school. Compared to UCAS and the heavy emphasis on the personal statement, American admissions seem to be more interested in the person. That may seem quite a contestable claim, but the fact that there are so many merit scholarships (in the states) would indicate that potential leadership and other ability in prospective students is valued immensely. That is not to say that UK uni's do not value these qualities, but I do feel they do not appreciate them in the way they should.

also sorry for the block of text, I tried paragraphing but for some reason every time I tried it would just revert to the non-paragraphed version

Kenicks
1 Where are you applying?
At the moment I like University of Southern California (USC) and Loyola Marymount University - I have visited both. I visited Irvine (UCI) but I didn't like it as much.
2 What standardised tests are you sitting?
I have sat the SAT and I am retaking it in November for a 2nd try to the score.
3 Will you be applying for Financial Aid?
To my knowledge international students are not offered financial aid from US Universities?
4 Are you applying through the Common App, Universal App or Other?
Common App
5 What's your prospective major?
Business Administration
6 Additional Comments:
- Would anyone be willing to help read over and give guidance on my essay for the prompt on common app? My friends don't fully understand what is required therefore it is hard to receive feedback.
- The main barrier is the fees I have to pay...can anyone give any advice for scholarships? I know the schools give many of them and you find out next April but I am struggling to find other sources. I current have 5 AS grades (high UMS also) and I am planning on continuing 5 next year to have 5 A level grades
Original post by SamBurtonBKC
At the moment I like University of Southern California (USC) and Loyola Marymount University - I have visited both. I visited Irvine (UCI) but I didn't like it as much.
I have sat the SAT and I am retaking it in November for a 2nd try to the score.
To my knowledge international students are not offered financial aid from US Universities?
Common App
Business Administration
6 Additional Comments:
- Would anyone be willing to help read over and give guidance on my essay for the prompt on common app? My friends don't fully understand what is required therefore it is hard to receive feedback.
- The main barrier is the fees I have to pay...can anyone give any advice for scholarships? I know the schools give many of them and you find out next April but I am struggling to find other sources. I current have 5 AS grades (high UMS also) and I am planning on continuing 5 next year to have 5 A level grades

There are universities which offer financial aid to International Students. I would suggest that you search for them.

I would love to look at your essay. I am applying as well and have been preparing and prepping myself for the applications for a long time.
Columbia University(Early Decision)
UPenn
Yale
UC-Berkeley & LA
SAT I in this October, SAT II-Physics & Math Level 2 maybe in Nov.
Nope.
Common App
Economics + Statistics
6 Additional Comments:
Do you know where can I get free practise materials for SAT II Physics and Maths Level II?
Can you share with me its content and syllabus etc. Maybe I can help you. I have done A2 Maths and currently doing Further Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nebclarke
Is anyone here doing the Math II SAT? I bought the Barron's book on it and although I've done AS Maths and GCSE Further Maths, I don't understand most of it!

Can you share with me its content and syllabus etc. Maybe I can help you. I have done A2 Maths and currently doing Further Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by syafiqjumerian
Columbia University(Early Decision)
UPenn
Yale
UC-Berkeley & LA
SAT I in this October, SAT II-Physics & Math Level 2 maybe in Nov.
Nope.
Common App
Economics + Statistics
6 Additional Comments:
Do you know where can I get free practise materials for SAT II Physics and Maths Level II?

I'm not sure about SAT II maths, but have you checked out the types of questions on the normal SAT? (SAT I). Thing is, you will know all the maths you need and you probably know much more than you need. This is because the SAT I (not sure if it's the same for math subject tests, but bear wit me) cannot ask about complex material as the SAT is supposed to be a neutral medium with which Colleges can estimate your potential for success at their college. Put differently, the SAT I can only test concepts which EVERYONE will have definitely covered. Therefore, the content in its own right has to be fairly simple in order to provide an accessible playing field for all students. What makes the SAT challenging is the manner in which questions are asked. The difficulty is in figuring out which concepts are presented to you in the question and what steps (and the order perhaps of those steps) you must take to find the result. You will find that if you are on the right track to answering the questions you will often be executing addition, subtraction, multiplication and division with simple numbers.

I'm not sure if this is of any use at all, but if you did find it useful I would be happy to point you towards some books that I am finding useful as I am preparing for the SAT I, which I am also taking in October :smile:.

Regards

Kenicks
Original post by Kenicke
I'm not sure about SAT II maths, but have you checked out the types of questions on the normal SAT? (SAT I). Thing is, you will know all the maths you need and you probably know much more than you need. This is because the SAT I (not sure if it's the same for math subject tests, but bear wit me) cannot ask about complex material as the SAT is supposed to be a neutral medium with which Colleges can estimate your potential for success at their college. Put differently, the SAT I can only test concepts which EVERYONE will have definitely covered. Therefore, the content in its own right has to be fairly simple in order to provide an accessible playing field for all students. What makes the SAT challenging is the manner in which questions are asked. The difficulty is in figuring out which concepts are presented to you in the question and what steps (and the order perhaps of those steps) you must take to find the result. You will find that if you are on the right track to answering the questions you will often be executing addition, subtraction, multiplication and division with simple numbers.

I'm not sure if this is of any use at all, but if you did find it useful I would be happy to point you towards some books that I am finding useful as I am preparing for the SAT I, which I am also taking in October :smile:.

Regards

Kenicks

Well thanks kenicks. Which colleges are you applying to?
Original post by кяя
1. Applying to California colleges, hoping I get into a one near SD since some family friends live there and are the only people I know in the US. Plus it's gorgeous!
2. Took the SAT, got 1940, don't know if I should resit or not. I could but I will only be able to do it in December, and the deadline for many colleges is before that.
3. Yup...if I don't get any I can't go :frown: It's really worrying me.
4. Just started the Common App.
5. Some combination of Finance and Computer Science. Either a double major or a major and minor.
6. I'm terrified!! I want this so much but I'm so scared I won't get in or won't get any financial help. I am predicted all As at the end of A2 and have done a lot of extracurricular stuff and have a lot to talk about, but I'm still terrified.

Not so sure about UCSD but UCLA's average SAT is about 1975. Yours is above that! Wow. By the way I'm not so sure whether this data on average SAT is usefull or not.. but still, you scored well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Well thanks kenicks. Which colleges are you applying to?

I've posted that above! Not 100% finalised though.
Anyone done the Sat II in bio, chem and physics? Which books are the best to use for practise?
Reply 31
Not so sure about UCSD but UCLA's average SAT is about 1975. Yours is above that! Wow. By the way I'm not so sure whether this data on average SAT is usefull or not.. but still, you scored well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, thanks :smile:

I'm hoping I get into SDSU and apparently the average SAT score is 1159 which (assuming it's all 3 sections) I'm well above. However, I'm still so scared...I hope I get good enough grades to qualify for some kind of financial help.

:smile:
So say INTERNATIONAL student X would not be able to pay the full $60,000 p/annum tuition fee at Dartmouth. Would they give them the full grant?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've had a slight change of plan with regards to my colleges, and I figure there must be more UK students than this applying, so I'll get this thread started again:

Where are you applying? I'll be applying to: Harvard, Yale, Dartmouth, Princeton, Brown, UPenn, WUSTL, Carleton College, Rice, Pomona College, Columbia, Tufts, Swarthmore

What standardised tests are you sitting? ACT w/essay

Will you be applying for Financial Aid? Definitely

Are you applying through the Common App, Universal App or Other? Common App

What's your prospective major? Economics/French/Sociology..who knows

Additional Comments: Incredibly nervous - as you can tell by the amount I've applied to, I really want to study in the US!

Hi
Does anyone know if Stanford does Alumni interviews for UK applicants like Harvard?
Reply 35
Original post by meganfurley
Hi
Does anyone know if Stanford does Alumni interviews for UK applicants like Harvard?

I had a Stanford interview. However, I was close to London and there are more alumni in London than elsewhere in the UK, it seems.

Where are you applying? Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Amherst

What standardised tests are you sitting? SAT (1940) Spanish w/ Listening (730), English Lit (750)

Will you be applying for Financial Aid? Yes

Are you applying through the Common App, Universal App or Other? CommonApp

What's your prospective major? Classics/Psychology

Original post by feyy
I had a Stanford interview. However, I was close to London and there are more alumni in London than elsewhere in the UK, it seems.

Thanks for that. When was the interview? recently?I know their interviews go on till feb 2016. Did you specifically opt for alumni interview anywhere in the application?

Lastly was there any place where you could provide additional info about yourself as Harvard does?

And good luck with your results :smile:
Original post by feyy

Duh!
I see that you are in princeton! bit slow today! forget my previous message!
Nice thread :biggrin: Wish I found it earlier.

I'm not international, but I'll be moving to the US (most likely) from abroad!

Quick Reply

Latest