The Student Room Group

Straight, but never felt anything towards a woman?

I'm a 19-year-old male starting university in the autumn, and as the title says, I am straight, but I have never felt anything towards a woman. Let me clarify what I mean by this. I know that I am not gay/bisexual, and I know that I am physically attracted to women, but I have never felt actual feeling, either physical or emotional, towards a real woman - I feel strangely uninterested in them.

Admittedly, my experience of being around women is incredibly limited. I have been home-educated my entire life and don't have any friends to speak of, and so my only experience of women is just brief exchanges when outside. I am not stupid enough to think that a man is supposed to want to jump the bones of every good-looking woman he sees, but I have never felt any feeling whatsoever towards a woman.

Is this just normal for someone like me with such little social experience? Do you think that it is simply a phase? I'd like to think that one day I will meet a woman who I will feel something towards, but when I assess my current state of mind I just cannot see it ever happening. It is not as if I have not seen any pretty women out there - some beautiful ones in fact - but this means nothing more to mean than some objective fact.

Any (constructive) input would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Went anon because such a thread is not usually my style.

Scroll to see replies

Aromantic?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a 19-year-old male starting university in the autumn, and as the title says, I am straight, but I have never felt anything towards a woman. Let me clarify what I mean by this. I know that I am not gay/bisexual, and I know that I am physically attracted to women, but I have never felt actual feeling, either physical or emotional, towards a real woman - I feel strangely uninterested in them.

Admittedly, my experience of being around women is incredibly limited. I have been home-educated my entire life and don't have any friends to speak of, and so my only experience of women is just brief exchanges when outside. I am not stupid enough to think that a man is supposed to want to jump the bones of every good-looking woman he sees, but I have never felt any feeling whatsoever towards a woman.

Is this just normal for someone like me with such little social experience? Do you think that it is simply a phase? I'd like to think that one day I will meet a woman who I will feel something towards, but when I assess my current state of mind I just cannot see it ever happening. It is not as if I have not seen any pretty women out there - some beautiful ones in fact - but this means nothing more to mean than some objective fact.

Any (constructive) input would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Went anon because such a thread is not usually my style.

Ok. Psychology says in early childhood development, people learn rules of communication and personal interaction skills around 1 and 2 yrs old. And when they're 5 or 6, whatever they have soaked up before then, becomes embedded in them naturally and it greatly affects how they connect, relate and interact socially, psychologically and emotionally with other people. As sexuality is greatly psychological, you probably are just suffering a great disconnect. Technically it could be seen as asexual since something in your subconscious is affecting you and keeping you from naturally connecting to people you are meant to. It's fine you just gotta experience a bit more.
I'd suggest that your lack of communication with the opposite gender, and perhaps how little you see of other couples might mean you don't know what you're missing. I'd suggest not looking for relationships, but looking for friendships by finding like-minded people in clubs or societies. Starting university will definitely help. Make an effort to go to open days, introductory days and move into your accommodation as soon as you can so you form bonds with people before friendship groups have already formed. Virtually everyone will be friendless to start with! The later you approach people, the more likely they are already close-knit with others. The likelihood is that the first person you 'click' with will be your best buddy for the duration of university, and possibly for the forseeible future, so choose wisely! :wink:

I can't emphasise enough the importance of joining a society. Try something new at the start of the year when all the sports clubs have taster days. Yes, your commitment will cost you a little, but it'll be worth it for the social satisfaction. Your quality of life will improve when you meet like-minded people who will enhance it.

Edit: I also suggest you make the effort to find other people on your course and in your accommodation before you start. I found around 10 people online between TSR and Facebook and it really allows you to break the ice, and makes things a little less daunting.
(edited 8 years ago)
have you looked into asexuality?
Reply 5
Original post by Man.bear.pig
Ok. Psychology says in early childhood development, people learn rules of communication and personal interaction skills around 1 and 2 yrs old. And when they're 5 or 6, whatever they have soaked up before then, becomes embedded in them naturally and it greatly affects how they connect, relate and interact socially, psychologically and emotionally with other people. As sexuality is greatly psychological, you probably are just suffering a great disconnect. Technically it could be seen as asexual since something in your subconscious is affecting you and keeping you from naturally connecting to people you are meant to. It's fine you just gotta experience a bit more.

I had an inkling that it may simply be a lack of social experience, and that this may be affecting me in some ways. Seeing as I'm posting anon, I guess there is no harm in also saying that I have had no positive examples of relationships or romance in my life. My parents' relationship is a train-wreck, and even when they were on good terms they had zero romantic connection, to the point that when I was 6-7 I thought that they acted like friends or siblings.

I hope your right about this :smile:.
Reply 6
Original post by missaxo
have you looked into asexuality?

Yes, I have. However, I am sexually attracted to women - I just have no emotional (or even physical) feelings towards them when I am around them in person.
Yes, I have. However, I am sexually attracted to women - I just have no emotional (or even physical) feelings towards them when I am around them in person.

Ahh okie makes sense. do you have any female friends?
Reply 8
Original post by missaxo
Ahh okie makes sense. do you have any female friends?

Zero friends of any description :redface:.
Zero friends of any description :redface:.

Could I ask why? (it's ok if you don't feel comfortable talking about it. I understand). You might possibly want to come out of your comfort zone a bit more, join a club meet some new people etc? Are you going to uni this year?
Original post by missaxo
Could I ask why? (it's ok if you don't feel comfortable talking about it. I understand). You might possibly want to come out of your comfort zone a bit more, join a club meet some new people etc? Are you going to uni this year?

A mixture between being home-schooled and having no money for extra-curricular activities have led to me having no opportunity to make any friends whatsoever. Ever. However, the fact that I have never had them has meant that I have no always felt the need for them - I don't really know any different.

Despite this, I don't suffer from any social anxiety beyond perhaps a little initial shyness and gentle speech. I just feel as if a very large part of my life is missing - attraction to the opposite sex in a social setting!

To answer your question, I am going to university this year, and I do intend to join some societies to help me become more social, and I guess this may help me out with my problem.

I guess I'm just concerned that there is something abnormal about me - a bit of a soppy sentiment, but I guess that's what anon posting is for :colondollar:.
A mixture between being home-schooled and having no money for extra-curricular activities have led to me having no opportunity to make any friends whatsoever. Ever. However, the fact that I have never had them has meant that I have no always felt the need for them - I don't really know any different.

Despite this, I don't suffer from any social anxiety beyond perhaps a little initial shyness and gentle speech. I just feel as if a very large part of my life is missing - attraction to the opposite sex in a social setting!

To answer your question, I am going to university this year, and I do intend to join some societies to help me become more social, and I guess this may help me out with my problem.

I guess I'm just concerned that there is something abnormal about me - a bit of a soppy sentiment, but I guess that's what anon posting is for :colondollar:.

Awww yeah don't worry! I promise you when you join uni everything will be okay :smile: you'll make loaaaads of friends! keep us updated!! and no there's nothing abnormal about you whatsoever! It's perfectly normal, don't be ashamed!
This isn't uncommon. It is called aromanticism: http://www.asexuality.org/wiki/index.php?title=Aromantic_FAQ :smile:
At the risk of simply regurgitating what others are saying here, I agree that it seems like, from your post, that you don't have any "issues" but rather need to socialize more if you'd like to meet a girl you might "feel something" for.

It doesn't seem strange to me at all considering your circumstance (home schooled, limited friends etc) that you've never liked a girl.

Humans are all different so what goes for one doesn't always necessarily go for another.This means that, in your case, you might find emotional attachment or liking doesn't come too easy for you and you might be someone who is more emotionally detached. Using the MBTI personality archetype, i'd take a random guess at you being an INTJ, INTP or an ISTJ; this is because people of these personality types, as Introverts and as Thinkers tend to not do so well in the "love" department as, stereotypically, it takes longer for them to like/fall in love with someone. These types are also in the extreme minority, hence, they don't represent the norm. What I mean by all of this, regardless of MBTI is that different people feel different things at different times. My brother is similar to you (despite going to a public coed school his whole life) and I don't worry for him a bit.

(:
Original post by cerlohee
This isn't uncommon. It is called aromanticism: http://www.asexuality.org/wiki/index.php?title=Aromantic_FAQ :smile:

After reading this, I am certain that I am not 'romantic', and fit somewhere in the 'aromantic' scale. I guess time and more social experiences will help me to but a finer point on it.

Thank you very much!
Sometimes I wish I had no attract towards women

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by silaiestatira
At the risk of simply regurgitating what others are saying here, I agree that it seems like, from your post, that you don't have any "issues" but rather need to socialize more if you'd like to meet a girl you might "feel something" for.

It doesn't seem strange to me at all considering your circumstance (home schooled, limited friends etc) that you've never liked a girl.

Humans are all different so what goes for one doesn't always necessarily go for another.This means that, in your case, you might find emotional attachment or liking doesn't come too easy for you and you might be someone who is more emotionally detached. Using the MBTI personality archetype, i'd take a random guess at you being an INTJ, INTP or an ISTJ; this is because people of these personality types, as Introverts and as Thinkers tend to not do so well in the "love" department as, stereotypically, it takes longer for them to like/fall in love with someone. These types are also in the extreme minority, hence, they don't represent the norm. What I mean by all of this, regardless of MBTI is that different people feel different things at different times. My brother is similar to you (despite going to a public coed school his whole life) and I don't worry for him a bit.

(:

ISTJ, through and through :biggrin:.

Thank you for sharing this - it means a lot to gain knowledge which tells you that you're not a freak.
I'm not able to quote you but you're welcome. There are also quite a few more good resources on the internet that you might want to check out :smile:
Join the club.
ISTJ, through and through :biggrin:.

Thank you for sharing this - it means a lot to gain knowledge which tells you that you're not a freak.

No problem, I'm glad you feel reassured! (:

According to mbti, I'm the opposite of you (ENFP) and I swear I fall deeply in love with every man I meet :lol:
It goes to show it makes a lot of sense and that none of us are freaks (or, alternatively, we all are which is equally as reassuring)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending