The Student Room Group

Durham University A100 (2016 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know when they start calling school leavers for interview ?
Reply 41
Hi does anyone know whether we put newcastle or durham down on pearson vue for when they send our UKCAT results?
Original post by Abbs234
Hi does anyone know whether we put newcastle or durham down on pearson vue for when they send our UKCAT results?

i wasn't sure about that either but there was Durham University seperate so i went with that if you choose Newcastle andthen a100 it will definitely go to wrong place :colondollar:
Reply 43
To those who have applied to Newcastle and chose Durham as the campus, what have you put on pearson vue, Durham or Newcastle?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by Sahil_
To those who have applied to Newcastle and chose Durham as the campus, what have you put on peason vue, Durham or Newcastle?

Durham.
Reply 45
Original post by liam__
Durham.

Thanks and may I ask how do you know?
Reply 46
Original post by Sahil_
Thanks and may I ask how do you know?

UKCAT said so.
https://twitter.com/UKCATest/status/654590407972663296
Reply 47

Hi, I just called Newcastle and tweeted Durham and both have confirmed that you have to put Newcastle on the pearson vue form.

https://twitter.com/MedAdDurham/status/654594108770623488
Reply 48
Original post by Sahil_
Hi, I just called Newcastle and tweeted Durham and both have confirmed that you have to put Newcastle on the pearson vue form.

https://twitter.com/MedAdDurham/status/654594108770623488

UKCAT replied to you, they clarified that all data gets sent to Newcastle anyway so in essence it doesn't matter what choice you put down.
So, I'm a grad with a 2.1, plenty of experience (4 years volunteering with St John, one year working in Paeds A&E and a week each with a GP and consultant ophthalmologist) and 687.5. What do we think my chances are? :3
I thought it would be easier to get an offer at Durham than Newcastle because the ratios are 3.5:1 and 6.3:1 respectively, but the UKCAT cut off is the same, does this matter?
PS here's the competition ratio page - it makes for very interesting reading - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Competition_Ratios
6A*s and 4As enough?

Currently doing AS levels and looking for experience.

Volunteering/Extra Curricular:
St Johns Ambulance
Maths Tutoring
Volunteering at a speech and language therapy centre
Charity Week London
Peer mentor
Literacy coordinator (2012-14)
Younger interpreter at school (2013-2014)
Prefect (2014-2015)

Have been told I am predicted an A* for Maths by the end of A2 and an A for Biology by the end of AS. Have not been told about chemistry or history as of yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ipanda99
6A*s and 4As enough?

St Johns Ambulance
Maths Tutoring
Charity Week London
Peer mentor
Prefect (2014-2015)

Have been told I am predicted an A* for Maths by the end of A2 and an A for Biology by the end of AS. Have not been told about chemistry or history as of yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You've forgotten to put your ukcat in, and its 'St John Ambulance' :P
Original post by Medicnohoperno.9
You've forgotten to put your ukcat in, and its 'St John Ambulance' :P

Looking at 2017 entry, which is why I haven't done the UKCAT, since I have just begun year 12.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
Original post by ipanda99
6A*s and 4As enough?

St Johns Ambulance
Maths Tutoring
Charity Week London
Peer mentor
Prefect (2014-2015)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Assuming your Science, Maths and English GCSE's are included in those A*'s/A's then yes those GCSE's would be totally fine.

If you want to enhance your application then getting more medical related experience is best in my opinion.

Original post by Medicnohoperno.9
So, I'm a grad with a 2.1, plenty of experience (4 years volunteering with St John, one year working in Paeds A&E and a week each with a GP and consultant ophthalmologist) and 687.5. What do we think my chances are? :3

The 2;1 sounds fine so wouldn't worry about. The experience sounds great as well.

As for the UKCAT i'm not sure given that i didn't go down the graduate pathway myself whether you are expected to achieve a higher UKCAT than regular straight from college applicants and the cut offs change every year anyway. However given that the cut off last year was 575 it might well be worth applying.

In my personal opinion its probably best to talk to people that have also done the UKCAT and if your score generally seems above average then Durham would be a good option. (Oh and if you do this please don't use TSR as a reference base for UKCAT scores as it really doesn't tend to reflect the average person).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Wallam
Assuming your Science, Maths and English GCSE's are included in those A*'s/A's then yes those GCSE's would be totally fine.

If you want to enhance your application then getting more medical related experience is best in my opinion.

The 2;1 sounds fine so wouldn't worry about. The experience sounds great as well.

As for the UKCAT i'm not sure given that i didn't go down the graduate pathway myself whether you are expected to achieve a higher UKCAT than regular straight from college applicants and the cut offs change every year anyway. However given that the cut off last year was 575 it might well be worth applying.

In my personal opinion its probably best to talk to people that have also done the UKCAT and if your score generally seems above average then Durham would be a good option. (Oh and if you do this please don't use TSR as a reference base for UKCAT scores as it really doesn't tend to reflect the average person).

The UKCAT requirement is the same as for undergrads I think - and I think my score will be borderline
Did anyone else recieve email from Sue Goodman regarding application to medicine? I was just wondering about the part saying

"Every effort will be made to accommodate your campus preference, but your first choice cannot be guaranteed."

what does it even mean ? How do they allocate applicants to the compuses ? I thought even if they have same ukcat cut off they get seperate pool of applicants. I chose Durham beacuse of high offer to jnterview ratio and I liked Durham more. Is there any way that they could allocate me to Newcastle even if i chose Durham?
Original post by anvar333
Did anyone else recieve email from Sue Goodman regarding application to medicine? I was just wondering about the part saying

"Every effort will be made to accommodate your campus preference, but your first choice cannot be guaranteed."

what does it even mean ? How do they allocate applicants to the compuses ? I thought even if they have same ukcat cut off they get seperate pool of applicants. I chose Durham beacuse of high offer to jnterview ratio and I liked Durham more. Is there any way that they could allocate me to Newcastle even if i chose Durham?

I think it means we just our interview:applicant advantage
Original post by anvar333

Newcastle had done it before by change some of their applicants of Newcastle only to Durham campus.

Quick Reply