The Student Room Group

Durham University A100 (2016 entry)

Anyone thinking of Durham medical school?

https://www.dur.ac.uk/school.health/phase1.medicine/

Scroll to see replies

Original post by monstergirl
Anyone thinking of Durham medical school?

https://www.dur.ac.uk/school.health/phase1.medicine/

The only worry is about their UKCAT cutoff, but I think I will try it with my 700 average. Risky?
Reply 2
Original post by Timewilltellu
The only worry is about their UKCAT cutoff, but I think I will try it with my 700 average. Risky?

I believe their cutoff was 575 last year.
Original post by liam__
I believe their cutoff was 575 last year.

Their UKCAT cutoff is the same as Newcastle, I don't know about last year, but I believe it was 695(for 2013 entry) and 750(for 2014 entry)
Reply 4
From what I understand, Newcastle and Durham don't use the personal statement and reference at all. Is that correct?
Reply 5
Their UKCAT cutoff is the same as Newcastle, I don't know about last year, but I believe it was 695(for 2013 entry) and 750(for 2014 entry)

Nope, 575.

https://twitter.com/medaddurham/status/615594960335843328
Reply 6

That seems quite low though.
Reply 7
That seems quite low though.

I don't think they would lie on their official twitter :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by liam__
Well they're hardly going to lie on their official twitter...

True. Just expected the cut off to be higher.
Reply 9
True. Just expected the cut off to be higher.

It is quite strange. I'm not sure why it would be so much lower, possibly a lack of applicants last year after the massively inflated cutoffs of 2014. I'm sure it won't be that low again this year, but how much it increases is anybody's guess!
Original post by liam__
It is quite strange. I'm not sure why it would be so much lower, possibly a lack of applicants last year after the massively inflated cutoffs of 2014. I'm sure it won't be that low again this year, but how much it increases is anybody's guess!

At least with the UKCAT, we have an idea of how we will compare to other applicants. The BMAT could just go horribly wrong and there would be nothing we can possibly do about it. :colonhash:

Am I right to say 575 average cutoff = UKCAT scores was not considered for last year application?
I think it would be very hard for anyone to score below 575 average if you had prepared and really care for the test.
How are your gcse grades?
Reply 13
Am I right to say 575 average cutoff = UKCAT scores was not considered for last year application?
I think it would be very hard for anyone to score below 575 average if you had prepared and really care for the test.

575 was the cutoff. Below 575 was a rejection, 575 or above was an interview.
Original post by liam__
575 was the cutoff. Below 575 was a rejection, 575 or above was an interview.

Do you really think there was someone had average scores below 575 to apply Newcastle/Durham last year? What I try to say is we cannot use last year cutoff scores as a reference to this year's application at all.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
Do you really think there was someone had average scores below 575 to apply Newcastle/Durham last year? What I try to say is we cannot use last year cutoff scores as a reference to this year's application at all.

If there was nobody below 575 then why would they set a cutoff at 575?
Original post by liam__
If there was nobody below 575 then why would they set a cutoff at 575?

I think they decided not to use UKCAT last year for some reasons and could not simply say so, and therefore set up the cutoff of 575 average for everyone can make. Honestly I can not see that many people could have scored under 575 average last year and applied to Newcastle/Durham.
anyone applying Durham? If so, and what is your stat?
I think they decided not to use UKCAT last year for some reasons and could not simply say so, and therefore set up the cutoff of 575 average for everyone can make. Honestly I can not see that many people could have scored under 575 average last year and applied to Newcastle/Durham.

Apparently UKCAT screwed up the test last year, hence the low cut off. 2300 was the average for Durham & Newcastle. They expect the average to go back to previous levels for 2016 entry so 2800+
Original post by JazzyB1997
Apparently UKCAT screwed up the test last year, hence the low cut off. 2300 was the average for Durham & Newcastle. They expect the average to go back to previous levels for 2016 entry so 2800+

695 average is my guess for this year cutoff !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending