The Student Room Group

Good cities for young professionals to move to

Okay so I'll be applying for grad jobs soon and most companies I'm interested in allow you to specify a preference of what office you want to work in

I'll just be finishing 4 years of uni in Edinburgh, and have no ties and am pretty much open to going anywhere.

Anyone know the best cities for people in their early 20s with good party scenes at the weekends etc

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Brighton, Bristol, Glasgow, London...
Reply 2
Leeds
Manchester.

London if you don't mind that you'll be housesharing for many years to come unless you get into Investment Banking or such like or you marry someone rich or you move out of London and commute in.
Original post by jelly1000
Manchester.

London if you don't mind that you'll be housesharing for many years to come unless you get into Investment Banking or such like or you marry someone rich or you move out of London and commute in.

I would never do the whole commuting thing, would much rather live in a city
Depends what your profession is. If you're not particularly driven towards london for career reasons I'd say Manchester is a good suggestion.
Original post by orange crush
I would never do the whole commuting thing, would much rather live in a city

In that case London probably isn't the best place in the long term.
Reply 7
Coventry

I'd agree (unless he's going to make enough to live in an actual nice part of central London), but starting work in London wouldn't commit OP to be there for life.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I'd agree (unless he's going to make enough to live in an actual nice part of central London), but starting work in London wouldn't commit OP to be there for life.

True, which is why I said long term.

What makes you say that?
What makes you say that?

House prices- some people in their 30's are still living in house shares in London because they can't afford anything more, even on respectable wages, especially if they are single.If they have a partner and/or want to start a family they are either looking at cramming into a one/two bed flat with no garden or moving to the edge of or out of London for a proper family home which obviously then involves living away from the centre and some commute to work. Most of the family sized homes in zones 1/2/3 are taken by wealthy foreigners or Londoners who bought them many moons ago when the prices were more affordable.
House prices- some people in their 30's are still living in house shares in London because they can't afford anything more, even on respectable wages, especially if they are single.If they have a partner and/or want to start a family they are either looking at cramming into a one/two bed flat with no garden or moving to the edge of or out of London for a proper family home which obviously then involves living away from the centre and some commute to work. Most of the family sized homes in zones 1/2/3 are taken by wealthy foreigners or Londoners who bought them many moons ago when the prices were more affordable.

I don't mind sharing with flatmates. As I say I'm gonna be a 21 year old with no ties. I won't be starting any families for a long time.

Having said that I'm going to be entering a field with lucrative wages so I think in the long term I'd be able to afford something in the centre of London.
1. London

... that is all
I don't mind sharing with flatmates. As I say I'm gonna be a 21 year old with no ties. I won't be starting any families for a long time.

Having said that I'm going to be entering a field with lucrative wages so I think in the long term I'd be able to afford something in the centre of London.

I figured that which is why I put in the long term.
Reply 15
House prices- some people in their 30's are still living in house shares in London

More like most...
The reason I asked this is that I prioritise my social life. Just don't wanna move somewhere I'd be bored on evenings and weekends.
Reply 17
Okay so I'll be applying for grad jobs soon and most companies I'm interested in allow you to specify a preference of what office you want to work in

I'll just be finishing 4 years of uni in Edinburgh, and have no ties and am pretty much open to going anywhere.

Anyone know the best cities for people in their early 20s with good party scenes at the weekends etc

Thanks

I am shocked because you are in Edingurgh.

Apparently this is the best city in the UK! (according to many surveys)
Reply 18
The reason I asked this is that I prioritise my social life. Just don't wanna move somewhere I'd be bored on evenings and weekends.

Pick a city, any city.

My personal preferences would be Glasgow, Liverpool, Birmingham
Reply 19
Original post by TeeEm
I am shocked because you are in Edingurgh.

Apparently this is the best city in the UK! (according to many surveys)

Too many tourists, bit pricey.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending