The Student Room Group

Maths application

I am planning to study maths at university next year. Which university? I don't know. That's why I need your help. Currently taking Maths, Further Maths and Physics. A realistic prediction would be A*A*A respectively. I will also be doing EPQ, MAT and STEP.

Ideally want to study maths at the very best university, even if it means I need to sacrifice all my free time. Location? I don't mind, although London would be my preferred location.

What universities would you recommend me to take a look at?

What else can I do to improve my application?
Reply 1
Unrelated but have you started STEP prep yet?
Original post by AlmostNotable
I am planning to study maths at university next year. Which university? I don't know. That's why I need your help. Currently taking Maths, Further Maths and Physics. A realistic prediction would be A*A*A respectively. I will also be doing EPQ, MAT and STEP.

Ideally want to study maths at the very best university, even if it means I need to sacrifice all my free time. Location? I don't mind, although London would be my preferred location.

What universities would you recommend me to take a look at?

What else can I do to improve my application?

If you're planning on taking MAT then I think there are a few of the top unis you should apply to (correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Imperial and Oxford use them(?)).

I applied last year thinking that anything that isn't the best uni isn't for me, but after only being accepted by my 4th/5th choices I realised how wrong I was and I am very happy with both the university and the course that I study.

http://www.bath.ac.uk/study/ug/prospectus/subject/mathematical-sciences/entry-requirements/

My offer was A*AA in Maths, FM and Physics (STEP could have been included to lower it to A*AB or something). So it's just under what your predicted, which is useful if you have a bad day for one of your exams.

I've just finished my first year there and I would recommend it. If you're on the Mathematical Sciences course, which anyone who's applied for that or straight Mathematics automatically does the units for in the first year, then you get a lot of choice as to which areas of Maths you want to study. There's also the option of doing a year long placement, which is invaluable. The campus is lovely, as is the city. Bath is known for how beautiful it is, how safe it is and how satisfied the students are.

I'd definitely recommend it being one of your five choices, and since you're aiming higher I'd suggest looking at Oxford/Imperial/UCL as well. Hearing things from people who study there is great, but you can find out a lot of what you need to know on the universities' websites/prospectuses etc.
Original post by Asurat
Unrelated but have you started STEP prep yet?

I taught myself C3, C4, FP2 and FP3. I have just under a year to practice it. Are you also planning on doing STEP?
Reply 4
Original post by AlmostNotable
I taught myself C3, C4, FP2 and FP3. I have just under a year to practice it. Are you also planning on doing STEP?

I think no matter what I'm definitely going to sit at least STEP I and STEP II. Personally I'm going to try and work through the Siklos booklet and then past papers, what're your plans for the Summer in terms of STEP?
Original post by Asurat
I think no matter what I'm definitely going to sit at least STEP I and STEP II. Personally I'm going to try and work through the Siklos booklet and then past papers, what're your plans for the Summer in terms of STEP?

I think I will be doing all three. Do you know any other resources like the Siklos booklet?
(edited 8 years ago)
Nrich have STEP preparation modules which might be helpful. Also, do be aware that the MAT is not a public exam (unlike STEP), so you cannot sit it unless you are applying to a university which requires it for admissions (currently two: Oxford and Imperial).

Quick Reply

Latest