The Student Room Group

Help structure my A Levels :)

Hi.

I was doing AS Bio, Chem, P&E ( RE) and English Lit. Before exams, I had eye surgery, and couldn't see as well. So, I only did my essay based subjects exams, I didn't want to read graphs or draw diagrams with poor Vision! So I've done my AS English and P&E.

But now I have to go back for A2, and a lot has changed. Finally convinced my parents to let me do English Lit rather than medicine, so I can swap chemistry ( thank the Lord) for a subject I enjoy. I'm thinking of either History or Geography, but can't choose. I enjoy Geography more, and got an A* and A in my exams ( D in coursework, came out with a B). History used to be my least favourite subject, but managed to revise a bit and get an A ( more to do with the boring spec, learning about the American West :/ ). I'd be doing Edexcel, and the topics are the Tudors and the American Civil War. Which subject would help me get into a top uni for my course? Which should I choose? Unless I do both?

I've been in contact with a few unis, and am now worried about the whole 'no A levels that took 2+ years' thing. I want to do Biology, it's my second favourite subject. But that would mean next year doing both AS and A2.

To summarise
2015: AS P&E, AS Lit
2016: A2 P&E, A2 Lit, AS Bio ( Maybe A2 Bio as well) AS Geography and/ or History
Apply to uni
2017: ( Maybe A2 Bio, if not done last year) and A2 Geography or History.

Will Unis expect more in interviews, given I am applying after 2 A2s?

All advice is appreciated, I'm hoping for a top uni like UCL, york or Exeter ( and maybe even durham and cambridge, if I get the grades). I don't want to let my eye thing ruin anything else really :smile:
Hi all of the top universities like the ones which you're describing will without a doubt expect 3 A2s at the very least some may even expect 4 as levels but I don't think that's too important as some schools only do three anyway. Really you have two options depending on whether you want a 2016 entry to uni or 2017 which is it?
Original post by David.murphy
Hi all of the top universities like the ones which you're describing will without a doubt expect 3 A2s at the very least some may even expect 4 as levels but I don't think that's too important as some schools only do three anyway. Really you have two options depending on whether you want a 2016 entry to uni or 2017 which is it?

I'll apply next year, so would start in 2017. I'd have more than 4 AS Levels, I'd have 2AS as well as 2full A2s, when I apply,nand would eventually get 4 A2s. It's mainly when I do what
Original post by Big Blue Machine
I'll apply next year, so would start in 2017. I'd have more than 4 AS Levels, I'd have 2AS as well as 2full A2s, when I apply,nand would eventually get 4 A2s. It's mainly when I do what

Hmm well I would say that you should potentially try and redo all of your as levels in next year and then do your A2s the year after that because as you said they don't like people who took more than two years to get the complete A level
They also prefer people to achieve their A2s in the same year
So I would say to you to do four as levels next academic year p&e eng lit bio and history and you should smash all those, then procceed in the following academic year to do 3/4 A2s from the 4 as's you've done
Hmm well I would say that you should potentially try and redo all of your as levels in next year and then do your A2s the year after that because as you said they don't like people who took more than two years to get the complete A level
They also prefer people to achieve their A2s in the same year
So I would say to you to do four as levels next academic year p&e eng lit bio and history and you should smash all those, then procceed in the following academic year to do 3/4 A2s from the 4 as's you've done

Surely that way I'd end up technically spending 3 years on all of my A levels?

What if I did AS History AS Bio A2 Bio A2 English Lit and A2 P&E next year?

I honestly would retake, but would it look weak for Cambridge? I'm already scared they'll be like ' This guy has such a complex application, reject', given the amount of applicants they have to cut down on.
Surely that way I'd end up technically spending 3 years on all of my A levels?

What if I did AS History AS Bio A2 Bio A2 English Lit and A2 P&E next year?

I honestly would retake, but would it look weak for Cambridge? I'm already scared they'll be like ' This guy has such a complex application, reject', given the amount of applicants they have to cut down on.

They consider all aplications fairly carefully I honestly wouldn't recommend so that next year unis often specify that they want the A2s to be taken in the same year also As and A2 biology in the same year you would crack under the pressure as there is so much content for it and you'd be doing an as and two a2s on top of that I mean let's imagine that you get two As this year with 90%+ ums in both the way cambridge calculate your ums adverage is by using your three most relevant subjects so it wouldn't work also they'd have no idea what you'd get in bio or history and I don't think it does count that you spent three years as you would be retaking two not technically doing them again
My suggestion would be to do the retakes and apply normally but however my overall advise is to email a college admissions tutor at cambridge and see what they make of the whole situation
They consider all aplications fairly carefully I honestly wouldn't recommend so that next year unis often specify that they want the A2s to be taken in the same year also As and A2 biology in the same year you would crack under the pressure as there is so much content for it and you'd be doing an as and two a2s on top of that I mean let's imagine that you get two As this year with 90%+ ums in both the way cambridge calculate your ums adverage is by using your three most relevant subjects so it wouldn't work also they'd have no idea what you'd get in bio or history and I don't think it does count that you spent three years as you would be retaking two not technically doing them again
My suggestion would be to do the retakes and apply normally but however my overall advise is to email a college admissions tutor at cambridge and see what they make of the whole situation

You're right. I would do the retakes, but I'm not sure whether I'd be penalised for doing them. I did have 2 eye surgeries, one in each eye about 3 weeks before exams, I'm hoping they understand!
You're right. I would do the retakes, but I'm not sure whether I'd be penalised for doing them. I did have 2 eye surgeries, one in each eye about 3 weeks before exams, I'm hoping they understand!

Did you apply for special consideration?
And make sure you do email them want everything to go well for you 😊
Did you apply for special consideration?
And make sure you do email them want everything to go well for you 😊

I emailed a variety of unis. Nottingham, Yprk and UCL were a little cold.
I always had the impression that top unis didn't want A-levels done across 3 years. But your best bet is to email an admissions tutor or be ready to do AS&A2 Biology in a year.
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
I always had the impression that top unis didn't want A-levels done across 3 years. But your best bet is to email an admissions tutor or be ready to do AS&A2 Biology in a year.

It does seem unfair! I guess ill have to :-(

Quick Reply

Latest