The Student Room Group

How can i get into sixth form / college

I was moved up a year about 3 or 4 months from year 10 into year 11 ( yes that late ) and i've now taken all my gcse's but now my minds plagued with where im going to go now.

My school has told me that i have to come back to their six form to do btec courses but thats the last thing i want to do, furthermore they said i will only be there for one year and then id move onto another sixth form like the rest of my age mates (Im currently 15 unlike the rest of the year 11 going 12 who are 16).
I asked why i couldnt move onto another six form and they said because of my age, despite hearing about 10 year olds who goto university... (something about "the insurance not being able to cover" me because of my age.. Furthermore, because i was moved up so late, i had no idea that i was supposed to be applying for colleges, i was in a seminar with the year 11's where everyone was asked what college / sixth form they'd be attending..... the teacher came onto me and i responded with a "pardon?" followed by some stalling and a "nobody knows" this was an occuring thing as they asked me what sixth form i'd be attending. I did try to apply to some colleges but the deadline had past, a few days ago i tried to apply but I'm very confused with the process and whether i can even still apply, i don't know all the stuff about a level, AS, btec. but i want the best education i can get (which im told will come from a sixth form college) so i can be put in a reallly good position for college "A 17 year old who got all A*s a year early" sounds quite good in my opinion but what do i know.

i dont know if this is relevant but i was moved up right before the year 10's did their work experience..... so basically i've missed out on work experience.

I have no ambition of doing 2 btec courses for 1 year (I don't really understand what they were talking about, they went onto talking about "a level equivalant" courses ect) when i have the chance to move onto year 12 early

Excuse the lack of proper punctuation / grammar, I'm typing in a rush.
A lot of colleges around my area accept anyone on enrolment day, providing they got the grades needed. could you maybe see if the colleges around you do that?
Reply 2
Original post by Tobiq
I was moved up a year about 3 or 4 months from year 10 into year 11 ( yes that late ) and i've now taken all my gcse's but now my minds plagued with where im going to go now.

My school has told me that i have to come back to their six form to do btec courses but thats the last thing i want to do, furthermore they said i will only be there for one year and then id move onto another sixth form like the rest of my age mates (Im currently 15 unlike the rest of the year 11 going 12 who are 16).
I asked why i couldnt move onto another six form and they said because of my age, despite hearing about 10 year olds who goto university... (something about "the insurance not being able to cover" me because of my age.. Furthermore, because i was moved up so late, i had no idea that i was supposed to be applying for colleges, i was in a seminar with the year 11's where everyone was asked what college / sixth form they'd be attending..... the teacher came onto me and i responded with a "pardon?" followed by some stalling and a "nobody knows" this was an occuring thing as they asked me what sixth form i'd be attending. I did try to apply to some colleges but the deadline had past, a few days ago i tried to apply but I'm very confused with the process and whether i can even still apply, i don't know all the stuff about a level, AS, btec. but i want the best education i can get (which im told will come from a sixth form college) so i can be put in a reallly good position for college "A 17 year old who got all A*s a year early" sounds quite good in my opinion but what do i know.

i dont know if this is relevant but i was moved up right before the year 10's did their work experience..... so basically i've missed out on work experience.

I have no ambition of doing 2 btec courses for 1 year (I don't really understand what they were talking about, they went onto talking about "a level equivalant" courses ect) when i have the chance to move onto year 12 early

Excuse the lack of proper punctuation / grammar, I'm typing in a rush.

You can call up on results day providing you get good grades and ask if they have any spaces. A lot of people have gotten into my school that way. It's a grammar, and if a grammar does it then I'm 100% sure colleges and normal sixth forms will do it too. Plus i think they'll like you being younger because they'll think you're "smart for your age" or something. And yeah don't do btecs go straight onto A level. Also you should be able to apply to uni, I mean I know in Scotland they go to uni at 17 so :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest