The Student Room Group

Will the offense affect university application?

Hello.

I am from the EU-country and I applied to the UK for a Nursing course. I had to sent my criminal check clearance and received a reply that there is a declaration on the document and I should give further details of the nature of this offense. And I explained, that I just missed the date of expiry of my passport, but then I renewed it and payed a fine (it happened in 2013, when I was 15 or 16 y.o.). The uni replied that they would contact me once they receive conformation of my criminal record clearance outcome.

The thing is that I have a firm offer from another uni in another country, and I still haven't heard anything from the uni in the UK about my situation. And I should reply to the other uni's offer till tomorrow.

My first priority is the UK's education, but idk what I should do... I am afraid that if I refuse to other uni's offer, then I can be not taken to the uni in the UK because of this violotion. So. I can "lose" a year...

What are my chances to get to the uni? Also, will it impact my future employment opportunities?
you need to contact the uni concerned and talk to them.

in this country, the offence wouldn't attract a conviction, especially as you couldn't be legally responsible for the passport going out of date.

It would also have expired under uk law.

But thy do have to consider what is regarded as an offence under your home country's laws.
( for example a19 YO American citizen drinking under 21 in the USA and convicted would be legally allowed to drink in the UK but has still demonstrated a willingness to break the law)

I would doubt that an offence of that type would have any bearing on a UK disclosure.
it is more akin to a speeding ticket or parking fine which would.t prevent a UK course acceptance.

but TALK to them
Reply 2
I sent them the email and they replied that they are awaiting receipt of the outcome of my disclosure check... So, they cannot officialy confirm if I have passed the criminal record check... This was sent to disclosure in the midlle of Jule, so they should receive confirmation back soon... But it is still not soon enough for me... I need to decide right now - to go to another uni or to take a risk that I can be not eligible for the course because of my violation with passport...

What is the more likely to happen if I decide to try to get into the uni in the UK?
Now I'm curious which EU country and what the offence actually is.

My gut reaction is that this shouldn't affect your ability to study in the UK, but you can't rely on peoples' opinions when it's your future at stake. Good luck!
It's highly unlikely to be a problem, so long as you declare it. The offence wasn't violent / dishonest / something that would indicate that you might not be the best person to care for vulnerable people (in fact it wouldn't even be a crime in the UK).
Reply 5
Thank you for your replies!
Reply 6
The uni agreed that my past "conviction" is not a bar to the entry to the Nursing degree. :smile:

However, they said that it does not guarantee employment as a nurse in the future... How do you think will it affect my future carreer? I mean will I be able to work as a nurse after graduation?
Original post by Student-1996
The uni agreed that my past "conviction" is not a bar to the entry to the Nursing degree. :smile:

However, they said that it does not guarantee employment as a nurse in the future... How do you think will it affect my future carreer? I mean will I be able to work as a nurse after graduation?

I think they almost have to say that so that you can't come back later and complain.

I'd be very surprised if it stopped you getting a job - quite apart from anything else, there's a shortage of qualified nurses in the UK at the moment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with Origami Bullets that they basically have to say this to cover themselves.

I really can't see this being an issue in the UK, as it's something that isn't a crime here, and is presumably a pretty minor crime in your home country. As others have said, it's akin to getting a speeding ticket or similar, and really shouldn't present a barrier to work.
Reply 9
Thank you for your answers! Hope to start my Nursing course in September! :smile:
Thank you for your answers! Hope to start my Nursing course in September! :smile:

Excellent! Best of luck :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Btw

Thanks for posting back as often people ask for advice and then disappear!

In the UK your record "expires" after a while, but a full disclosure might bring it up.
It is more an administrative fine than a criminal conviction. In the UK there are civil and criminal offences. Maybe not the case in Latvia?
Well, this is considered as an administative violation in Latvia. But both criminal convitctions and administative violations are shown in the document from the State Police...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
I don't know the position for nursing, but I imagine it's the same as for medicine, to which I'm applying for 2016 - the uni has to confirm to the GMC that there are no fitness to practice concerns, so if there are significant issues affecting this then they won't accept you to study. As I said, I guess this works the same with nursing and the NMC.

Either way, the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act would probably cover you, not that it should have to for a simple strict liability offence (especially one which isn't even an offence in the UK, although you will have contact with children and vulnerable adults (I.e. patients) so you will need Enhanced DBS Disclosure (or equivalent) for every role you go for, but this should be sorted and not a problem.

I hope this helps a little. :-D
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

They are probably just puzzling over what the crime actually was. Presumably in your country it is a crime to let your passport run out. It isn't in the UK. So unless your conviction was in the UK, for being in the UK without a valid passport, there's nothing at all that is going to worry a University in the UK

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending