The Student Room Group

Diagnostic Radiography 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mrs X
Hi there! Going to apply for Radiography. Doing my Science Access course from September. I am applying Leeds, Bradford and Sheffield.

It's great to see you're considering Diagnostic Radiography at the University of Bradford :smile: If you have any specific queries or concerns about anything related to the course or University please feel free to get in touch. Best of luck with your Access Course; I hope you enjoy it and you achieve the grades required to get into either Bradford, Leeds or Sheffield.
I've just recently qualified and graduated from Portsmouth University, and now work at Queen Alexandra in Portsmouth. Please feel free to message me with any questions regarding the course/uni :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by University of Bradford
It's great to see you're considering Diagnostic Radiography at the University of Bradford :smile: If you have any specific queries or concerns about anything related to the course or University please feel free to get in touch. Best of luck with your Access Course; I hope you enjoy it and you achieve the grades required to get into either Bradford, Leeds or Sheffield.

Hello!
Can you tell me a little bit more about Entry requirements 2016. On Bradford uni page says that you accept Access to Higher Education Diploma, plus minimum of:5 GCSEs at grade C or above to include GCSE English Language and Maths or Physics. Those applying with Access courses are only required to have GCSE English Language and Maths at grade C or above (equivalencies will not be accepted).
So, I finished secondary school in different country and NARIC verified my certificate and my exams as eguivalent to GCSE in the UK. Does it mean that it is no point for me to apply to Bradford uni?
Original post by Mrs X
in Leeds uni you have to choose 2 different hospitals. They've got 4 hospitals: Leeds teaching, Harrogate, Hull and York. The first one is going to be you main and you will get place there on you 1 and 3 year. Second one - for your 2d year.

Do you mean four NHS Trusts rather than four hospitals? I have an offer for Leeds in September 2015 (Firm) you could end up anywhere from Harrogate, Scarborough, Ripon, Beverley, private hospitals etc in other words one or more of the many different hospitals within one or more of the NHS Trusts or even the private sector

http://www.healthcareplacements.co.uk/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fHomePage.aspx
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Adie_Bradford
TBH the way Bradford works in this respect may or may not be how it works where you end up, where are you hoping to go?
We were asked very early in the course if we had a preference, as Bradford uni has a higher percentage of commuting students than any other uni in Britain most people ask to go to Bradford Royal Infirmary. The hospital I am placed at requires me to be on the bus before 7am and I get home about 6:30pm so it's a long day, but I like the hospital and the people.
I'd strongly recommend that you start studying a bit of anatomy to give yourself a head start, knowing every bone in the hands, arms, feet and legs is a good start. Not just the names of the bones but the different surfaces and suchlike.
Order yourself a copy of Bones & Joints by Gunn, ISNB 978 0 7020 5399 3, it's not cheap but I've almost worn my copy out in the first year!

Hey! I have Bradford as my insurance for this year's entry, I would choose placements at Calderdale and Huddersfield hospitals, is that a less popular trust? Failing that Dewsbury and Wakefield ..... Here's hoping :smile: , BRI is a pain for me to commute to, but not as bad as Airedale LOL
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by FeelingDepressed
Do you mean four NHS Trusts rather than four hospitals? I have an offer for Leeds in September 2015 (Firm) you could end up anywhere from Harrogate, Scarborough, Ripon, Beverley, private hospitals etc in other words one or more of the many different hospitals within one or more of the NHS Trusts or even the private sector

http://www.healthcareplacements.co.uk/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fHomePage.aspx

Hi there! Leeds teaching hospitals Nhs trust has 6 hospitals LGi, St. James, seacroft, chapel alerton and etc. if you gonna choose Leeds teaching hospital for your work placement, you will work at any of them. However you have to choose 2d hospital to work there. Uni will give you choice like Harrogate, Hull etc., but I'm not sure, maybe you can work in the different hospitals or private if you have their agreement IMHO
Original post by Mrs X
Hello!
Can you tell me a little bit more about Entry requirements 2016. On Bradford uni page says that you accept Access to Higher Education Diploma, plus minimum of:5 GCSEs at grade C or above to include GCSE English Language and Maths or Physics. Those applying with Access courses are only required to have GCSE English Language and Maths at grade C or above (equivalencies will not be accepted).
So, I finished secondary school in different country and NARIC verified my certificate and my exams as eguivalent to GCSE in the UK. Does it mean that it is no point for me to apply to Bradford uni?

I would recommend you scan and email copies of your qualifications to our Admissions Team to assess. Once assessed they can confirm whether or not you would be eligible to apply. Please email [email protected] - thanks and best of luck!
Reply 27
Original post by University of Bradford
I would recommend you scan and email copies of your qualifications to our Admissions Team to assess. Once assesseгd they can confirm whether or not you would be eligible to apply. Please email [email protected] - thanks and best of luck!

Thanks, will do that
Original post by Mrs X
Thanks, will do that

Brilliant. If you have any further questions in the meantime please do let me know :smile:
Original post by katecatfish
Im applying to exeter, UWE, BCU, Bangor and Derby :smile:
Thank you for the heads up I will deinfaltey start doing that if i get onto the course and i will definatley give that book a look!

Thank you very much!!!

I'm going to Derby this September, there you're allocated a placement city for the whole 3 Years- Nottingham, Derby or Leicester and move around the hospitals there. (Thought the community placements are a bit out the way eg. Loughborough if you're on the Leicester rotation, ilkeston if youre on Nottingham). Haven't chosen a preference yet but been told they'll ask us end of August/start of September ish.

I think you have have visits to your first placement in early December and then first placement block is in January, with another one later on.

Take all of this with a grain of salt though, I haven't actually started yet!
Original post by FXX
Subscribing... I've been qualified for three years now so happy to answer any questions about the 'real world' in radiography.

I also work in CT and MRI if you have any questions about those specifically.

Whats your base salary if you dont mind me asking?
Original post by agentdalecooper
I'm going to Derby this September, there you're allocated a placement city for the whole 3 Years- Nottingham, Derby or Leicester and move around the hospitals there. (Thought the community placements are a bit out the way eg. Loughborough if you're on the Leicester rotation, ilkeston if youre on Nottingham). Haven't chosen a preference yet but been told they'll ask us end of August/start of September ish.

I think you have have visits to your first placement in early December and then first placement block is in January, with another one later on.

Take all of this with a grain of salt though, I haven't actually started yet!

Thats really helpful thank you, so i take it placement is split up not all just in one big block during the year? Also would you mind me asking what the interview process at derby is like, i hear its quite confusing.

Thank you and well done on your offer :smile:
Hi all... applying for 2016 entry, messed up my AS levels in my first year of college so now doing a Btec but applying to UCS, Derby, Portsmouth, Teesside and Cumbria.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by plasmaman
Whats your base salary if you dont mind me asking?

I'm at the second increment of Band 6, so 27,070.
Reply 34
Original post by FXX
Subscribing... I've been qualified for three years now so happy to answer any questions about the 'real world' in radiography.

I also work in CT and MRI if you have any questions about those specifically.

should you finish different course to do CT and MRI? i heard that for ultrasound you should do 18 months studying again
Original post by FXX
I'm at the second increment of Band 6, so 27,070.
nice, how old are you?
Reply 36
Original post by Mrs X
should you finish different course to do CT and MRI? i heard that for ultrasound you should do 18 months studying again

You can learn CT and MRI in house. Postgraduate is optional. Ultrasound sticks you in the deep end as you report your own scans from day one so you need the postgraduate study first.
Reply 37
Original post by plasmaman
nice, how old are you?

25... just.
Reply 38
Original post by FXX
You can learn CT and MRI in house. Postgraduate is optional. Ultrasound sticks you in the deep end as you report your own scans from day one so you need the postgraduate study first.

thank you so much!
Reply 39
1 more question- what is difference between diagnostic and therapeutic radiography

Quick Reply

Latest