The Student Room Group

Diagnostic Radiography 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Mrs X
1 more question- what is difference between diagnostic and therapeutic radiography

Honestly, you probably should have researched that bit yourself by now. They are completely different.
Original post by katecatfish
Thats really helpful thank you, so i take it placement is split up not all just in one big block during the year? Also would you mind me asking what the interview process at derby is like, i hear its quite confusing.

Thank you and well done on your offer :smile:

No worries, and thank you! Yeah placement is split up, but as far as i can tell not equally like some unis do eg. 4 weeks uni, 4 weeks placement, 4 weeks uni....etc.

The interview wasn't bad, and not any more confusing than the Sheffield Hallam and BCU ones i also did. There's a short english and maths test, then we were split into smaller groups for a group task and then waited till our individual interview.
Original post by Mrs X
1 more question- what is difference between diagnostic and therapeutic radiography

Diagnostic is finding the problem and therapeutic is treating the problem. To put it into layman's terms.
Original post by agentdalecooper
No worries, and thank you! Yeah placement is split up, but as far as i can tell not equally like some unis do eg. 4 weeks uni, 4 weeks placement, 4 weeks uni....etc.

The interview wasn't bad, and not any more confusing than the Sheffield Hallam and BCU ones i also did. There's a short english and maths test, then we were split into smaller groups for a group task and then waited till our individual interview.

Okay! Thank you very much :h:
Hi guys!

If you have anything radiography/radiotherapy related that you would like me to ask our academics, please do let me know. I'm happy to help! :smile:

Ally, The BCU Team
Reply 45
Original post by Birmingham City University
Hi guys!

If you have anything radiography/radiotherapy related that you would like me to ask our academics, please do let me know. I'm happy to help! :smile:

Ally, The BCU Team

I would like to apply to study at Derby. I was told that, as I already have a BSc. (which includes physics) I would be able to do an MSc. or PGD but Derby Uni says no. Can I reasonably ask them to shorten the course on the basis of accreditation of prior learning? I took my BSc. at Derby so they already have details of what I studied there. I have also studied biology and particle physics with the OU since graduating.
Hi ZoeRPM,

I would recommend that you call Derby. Neither me or our academics are experts on how Derby do things unfortunately and I would hate to give you the wrong advice! I hope you work it our with them. :smile:

Ally, The BCU Team
Hi guys!

Ally, The BCU Team

Hi, I am studying radiotherapy in September and was wondering if you could tell me when the book list will be given out, or if it is already available?

Thanks.
Hi guys!

Ally, The BCU Team

Hi Ally,

I'm applying for diagnostic radiography at BCU for 2016 start. I had my work expereince a few weeks ago and I was able to talk to some of your students, the first years told me that for thier placement they rotate between their chosen hospitals every 2 weeks (they said they were the first year to try this out) all of them said that they were not too happy with this format and the radiographers seemed to agree. Would it be possible if you could tell me if this arrangement is likely to continue for future years as I'm not sure how well this constant moving around placements will work for me as I feel i will be spending more time trying to get to know people than learning what I need to.

Thank you very much for any help you can give me! :smile:

Thank you very much
Reply 49
the first years told me that for thier placement they rotate between their chosen hospitals every 2 weeks

Wow, that sounds awful. I'd love to hear the reasoning behind that.
Original post by Jenny2108
Hi, I am studying radiotherapy in September and was wondering if you could tell me when the book list will be given out, or if it is already available?

Thanks.

Hi Jenny2108,

I have checked with one of our academics for you. They said that you will be provided with a reading list within a couple of weeks of enrolling. :smile:

Just a heads up - I would recommend finding the books ASAP when you get your reading list, even second hand online or from previous students. In my first year of uni, I didn't get the books until I needed them and I really struggled at times to find them when I needed them. Then I'd end up paying loads for them brand new! Get ahead - just a handy tip!

Ally, The BCU Team
Hi Ally,

I'm applying for diagnostic radiography at BCU for 2016 start. I had my work expereince a few weeks ago and I was able to talk to some of your students, the first years told me that for thier placement they rotate between their chosen hospitals every 2 weeks (they said they were the first year to try this out) all of them said that they were not too happy with this format and the radiographers seemed to agree. Would it be possible if you could tell me if this arrangement is likely to continue for future years as I'm not sure how well this constant moving around placements will work for me as I feel i will be spending more time trying to get to know people than learning what I need to.

Thank you very much for any help you can give me! :smile:

Thank you very much

Hi katecatfish,

Where did you do your work experience? Did you enjoy it?

I have spoken to one of our academics and he told me that over your three years you will be placed across 2-3 locations. I hope this helps!

Ally, The BCU Team
Hi katecatfish,

Where did you do your work experience? Did you enjoy it?

I have spoken to one of our academics and he told me that over your three years you will be placed across 2-3 locations. I hope this helps!

Ally, The BCU Team

I did my placements at Princess Royal and the Royal Shrewsbury. I absolutely loved it!!! the staff and students were brilliant and really helped me to understand everything. If I get into BCU then these would be the hospitals I choose for placement.

Thank you for your help :smile:

(with the placements being at 2-3 sites does this mean that I would be rotated around these sites every 2 weeks still?)

Thank you
Hi,

Just wondering if it would be more beneficial to my application if I carried out two periods of work experience in different hospitals?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lostox
Hi,

Just wondering if it would be more beneficial to my application if I carried out two periods of work experience in different hospitals?

Posted from TSR Mobile

When I was interviewed at UWE they very very keen for me to discuss both my official placement and my unofficial one as part of my current job. It couldn't hurt.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did my placements at Princess Royal and the Royal Shrewsbury. I absolutely loved it!!! the staff and students were brilliant and really helped me to understand everything. If I get into BCU then these would be the hospitals I choose for placement.

Thank you for your help :smile:

(with the placements being at 2-3 sites does this mean that I would be rotated around these sites every 2 weeks still?)

Thank you

Oh - very royal! =p

That's great to hear how much you enjoyed your time there. :smile:

I don't THINK that is what the tutor meant. I took it as you stay at each placement for a while, but I'm not 100% sure!

if you would like to know more, you're probably better off giving us a call, so we can get the right person on the phone - 0121 331 5000.

I hope you find out what you need and look forward to welcoming you in 2016!

Ally, The BCU Team
Oh - very royal! =p

That's great to hear how much you enjoyed your time there. :smile:

I don't THINK that is what the tutor meant. I took it as you stay at each placement for a while, but I'm not 100% sure!

if you would like to know more, you're probably better off giving us a call, so we can get the right person on the phone - 0121 331 5000.

I hope you find out what you need and look forward to welcoming you in 2016!

Ally, The BCU Team

Thank you very much for all your, help I really appreicate it! I will definatley give that number a ring :h:
Original post by lledrith
When I was interviewed at UWE they very very keen for me to discuss both my official placement and my unofficial one as part of my current job. It couldn't hurt.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile:

I've managed to secure two, but they are both next year (one in Feb and the other April). Will this negatively impact an interview, if I haven't undertaken work experience yet?

Sorry for all the questions.
Original post by Lostox
Thank you :smile:

I've managed to secure two, but they are both next year (one in Feb and the other April). Will this negatively impact an interview, if I haven't undertaken work experience yet?

Sorry for all the questions.

Well done for managing to secure two!

If you're applying for 2016 it shouldn't be a problem. They don't mind if you haven't yet done the placement prior to the interview - but it does help to have something to talk about regarding it. At my interview with BCU I hadn't yet carried it out (my placement was around February) so could only speculate the areas I felt interested in and ramble a bit about work, whereas at Exeter and UWE I could ramble at length at how awesome MRI was. :smile:

They will typically only ask you for one evidence form for a single placement since that's the minimum requirement. It may be that you want to print out two forms for each Hospital to fill out, and those can be given to admissions once you're done. My supervisor on the work experience placement was (quite understandably) keen to have the forms from day 1 so she wouldn't be lumbered with paperwork on the last day.

Even if they only accept one, the documentation is useful to have on file, and you'll have a more in-depth understanding of what to expect when it comes to university placements. :biggrin:
Do any current or previous students have any advice for traveling to and from placement? Did you drive to and from your university accommodation or did you get accommodation up there for your placement?

Quick Reply

Latest