The Student Room Group

Diagnostic Radiography 2016

Scroll to see replies

Hello all,

Im looking for some advice on the Assistant practitioner route into radiography. Im thinking about this as doing a second full time degree is impossible due to funding. Im a professional and working with radiographers, so dont think i would have a problem getting the position.

I would aim for doing the part time degree in diagnostic radiography offered by LSB uni etc. The questions i have are really about how sustainable this is. i.e a part time degree and earning some money at the same time, does that pay the bills in london? what is the lifestyle like of this path?

If there are any Radiographers who did this, or AP's who are doing this out there then any advice would be much apreciated!

thanks,
Jack
Hi all, we have a few places still available for our Diagnostic Radiography BSc (Hons) course. If you meet our entry requirements and would be interested in applying please contact our clearing helpline on 0300 456 2666. If any of you have any queries or concerns about the clearing process, our University or our Diagnostic Radiography BSc (Hons) course please feel free to get in touch. Good luck!
Original post by Jenny2108
Hi, I am studying radiotherapy in September and was wondering if you could tell me when the book list will be given out, or if it is already available?

Thanks.

Hi Jenny, i've just graduated from BCU, each modules reading list is provided online so you'll have access to it as soon as you have your login. It generally gets divided between essential and recommended reading. In first year you'll need a physics book (don't buy one, there are lots in the library and older editions are just as good as the physics never changes!), a good anatomy book (again lots of different ones in the library but if you find one that has a layout you like then get it). I'd recommend you buy CT Anatomy for Radiotherapy, it's available in an online edition through the library but it's much easier to use in book form, you'll also need a treatment planning book, Dobbs and Barrett Practical Radiotherapy Planning and Hoskins External Beam Therapy are the ones recommended. I also really like Walter and Miller's Textbook of Radiotherapy (2012 ed) as it gives a really a good overview of all aspects of physics, planning and treatment. It's quite expensive but I personally think it's worth it!

If you're looking for something to get before you start then go for an anatomy book and start brushing up on gross anatomy and also lymphatics, it'll really benefit you when you start!

Good luck with the course! I work at Shrewsbury so might even see you on placement!

Hannah x
Original post by Jack Adams
Hello all,

Im looking for some advice on the Assistant practitioner route into radiography. Im thinking about this as doing a second full time degree is impossible due to funding. Im a professional and working with radiographers, so dont think i would have a problem getting the position.

I would aim for doing the part time degree in diagnostic radiography offered by LSB uni etc. The questions i have are really about how sustainable this is. i.e a part time degree and earning some money at the same time, does that pay the bills in london? what is the lifestyle like of this path?

If there are any Radiographers who did this, or AP's who are doing this out there then any advice would be much apreciated!

thanks,
Jack

Hi Jack, I have friends who took this route so know a bit about it. It's usually the trust who appoint you into position and you have 1 day a week at uni for 18 months to 2 years to get your foundation degree, this is equivalent to the first year of the undergraduate degree so after a specified amount of time (usually 2 years) you would be eligible to top your degree by entering onto the 2nd year and completing it either full time or part time if the uni offers it.

AP posts are band 4 on AfC but you usually get paid at band 3 as a trainee.
Original post by Birmingham City University
Hi guys!

If you have anything radiography/radiotherapy related that you would like me to ask our academics, please do let me know. I'm happy to help! :smile:

Ally, The BCU Team

Hi BCU.

I have just got my AS grades and they weren't as expected, I got BCCC with the B in biology and the C's in chemistry, maths and history.

I already have two work experience days in a Radiography department and really want to pursue a career in this area at university.

Based on my AS grades with predictions at A2 of ABB, would your university and other universities for Radiography accept me or are they too low?

Thank you
Reply 65
Original post by 09butlerje
Hi BCU.

I have just got my AS grades and they weren't as expected, I got BCCC with the B in biology and the C's in chemistry, maths and history.

I already have two work experience days in a Radiography department and really want to pursue a career in this area at university.

Based on my AS grades with predictions at A2 of ABB, would your university and other universities for Radiography accept me or are they too low?

Thank you

Hey, I'm not sure if this applies to you, but if you're application is in clearning because you didn't meet the conditions or haven't received any offers. BCU has opened up some extra places for Diagnostic Radiography through Clearing. Give them a call and see - 0121 331 6777

Good luck.
Original post by 09butlerje
Hi BCU.

Thank you

Hi!

These grades sound great, but if you would like to check against our requirements, please see here. Have you had chance to check out our facilities yet? If not, here's a link to our virtual tour. :smile:

Ally, The BCU Team
Hi everyone,

Is anyone attending Exeter's open day on the 5th September?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
Hi all, I start my access to science in September. I'm applying to BCU and Derby Uni, I've booked a place at both open days. How do I go about gaining work experience in a hospital setting? I'm a qualified dental radiographer but I don't think that would be enough.
Original post by Soph282
Hi all, I start my access to science in September. I'm applying to BCU and Derby Uni, I've booked a place at both open days. How do I go about gaining work experience in a hospital setting? I'm a qualified dental radiographer but I don't think that would be enough.

It depends where you live.. For mine i went on the hospital trust website and they had work experience forms on there that i jist sent to te address provided and got a response within a month or so. If not you could ringnthe nearby hospital and ask for the number ofnthe radiology department and ring themmdirectly.

Hopenthisnhelps and good luck woth yoyr access to science! :-)
Reply 70
Original post by katecatfish
It depends where you live.. For mine i went on the hospital trust website and they had work experience forms on there that i jist sent to te address provided and got a response within a month or so. If not you could ringnthe nearby hospital and ask for the number ofnthe radiology department and ring themmdirectly.

Hopenthisnhelps and good luck woth yoyr access to science! :-)

That's great, thank you :-) Good luck with your studies too x
Original post by Soph282
That's great, thank you :-) Good luck with your studies too x

Thank you :h:
Reply 72
Original post by Soph282

I completed my Access to Science back in June and am starting Radiography at BCU in about 4 weeks. Good luck with finding a placement, I got 2 placements in B'ham while I was looking but don't be too concerned if you don't get it any time soon. You can go as long as next July/Aug without having done it, as long as you can provide the evidence form prior to enrolment next year you're good. However, it'll definitely benefit you if you get it before your uni interview as it'll give you something to talk about and refer back to when answering questions.

All the best! :thumbsup:
Reply 73
Original post by MrJay
I completed my Access to Science back in June and am starting Radiography at BCU in about 4 weeks. Good luck with finding a placement, I got 2 placements in B'ham while I was looking but don't be too concerned if you don't get it any time soon. You can go as long as next July/Aug without having done it, as long as you can provide the evidence form prior to enrolment next year you're good. However, it'll definitely benefit you if you get it before your uni interview as it'll give you something to talk about and refer back to when answering questions.

All the best! :thumbsup:

Thank you MrJay, I've sent an e-mail off to Heart of England so fingers crossed I hear back soonish. Good luck with your course :-)
I have a quick question for any radiography student who has moved from halls to live closer to their placement hosiptal.

If you have opted for nhs accommodation or any accommodation closer to your placement site, did you bring things like crockery with you, or did you just eat out? (do they have kitchens for you to use at the hospital sites?

Sorry for such a stupid question.

Reply 75
I have a quick question for any radiography student who has moved from halls to live closer to their placement hosiptal.

If you have opted for nhs accommodation or any accommodation closer to your placement site, did you bring things like crockery with you, or did you just eat out? (do they have kitchens for you to use at the hospital sites?

Sorry for such a stupid question.

Usually, hospital accommodations have a little kitchen where you can cook. There are oven, microwave oven, kettle, fridge (our does). But you should bring your own crockery.
Original post by Mrs X
Usually, hospital accommodations have a little kitchen where you can cook. There are oven, microwave oven, kettle, fridge (our does). But you should bring your own crockery.

thank you very much! I just wasn't too sure :smile:
So it's normally about this time of year a new thread starts for this course.
This is for those interested in studying Diagnostic Radiography (Undergraduate level) starting in 2016.
How is your personal statement going? What Unis are you looking at? How did interviews go (when they happen)? (that sort of thing)

Hopefully any questions you have can be answered by people on this thread. (I am applying for this course for 2016)

So if you feel like you need some social support throught the application process etc, then feel free to join the thread and hopefully we can all help eachother out :smile:

Hey I'm very confused to what careers to apply for. I'm considering dietetics. However, I'd like to explore more choices.

I wanted to ask what made you consider radiography? Isn't using x rays dangerous for health? I've got skin problem & apperently x ray will affect it
Original post by Mrs X

What' s nhs accommodation? Does the nhs fund it? .
Original post by Uz25
Hey I'm very confused to what careers to apply for. I'm considering dietetics. However, I'd like to explore more choices.

I wanted to ask what made you consider radiography? Isn't using x rays dangerous for health? I've got skin problem & apperently x ray will affect it

Radiographers really have no extra risk of radiation as when you take the xrays etc you are placed behind a lead screen which radiation cannot pass through, therefore radiation you are exposed to over your life time would be extrememly minimal. In fact you would be exposed to more radiation by flying on a longish plane journey which is about the same as having 10 chest xrays done to youself.

Of course there are the risks that you may recieve some radiation but you wear monitors to ensure that you would not be recieving danger levels.

Hope this helps :smile: and good luck with your UCAS application :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest