The Student Room Group

Diagnostic Radiography 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Uz25
What' s nhs accommodation? Does the nhs fund it? .

NHS accommodation is usedfor when students cannot travel to thier placements. it is only available at some hosiptal sites. You do have to pay for the accommodation but it is usually quite resonalble, however if you have aplied for an NHS bursary you should be able to claim the difference beteen your Uni accommodation and the NHS accommmodation (of whatever accommodation you have chosen to live at nearer the hospiatl eg hotel as long as it is below £55 a night).
HOwever, this might ot always be the case, and I not sure if any changes are being made to this this year. also you are having to pay for this accommodation up front, so you will be left out of pocket until he reimbersment comes through to pay the difference.

:smile: if you look at the individual uni websites they should tell you if they offer NHS accommodation or look at :
http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/816.aspx

to find out more info on this kind of area :smile:
Original post by katecatfish
Radiographers really have no extra risk of radiation as when you take the xrays etc you are placed behind a lead screen which radiation cannot pass through, therefore radiation you are exposed to over your life time would be extrememly minimal. In fact you would be exposed to more radiation by flying on a longish plane journey which is about the same as having 10 chest xrays done to youself.

Of course there are the risks that you may recieve some radiation but you wear monitors to ensure that you would not be recieving danger levels.

Hope this helps :smile: and good luck with your UCAS application :smile:

Thanks! I'm not really into radiography however, I'm considering looking thro the modules and hopefully shadow a radiographer.

You know are you only going to apply for radiography at 5 different unis?

Which sciences do you enjoy the most?
I suppose its good to keep your options open! My friend is going to do dietetics this year at Nottingham (i think?? Im not entirely sure).

But it is definatley worth shadowing a radiographer for a day or two... youll find that it will be a little boring becuase you cant do anything, but the only way youll kno if its for you is if you are genuinely interested in what the radiographers are showing you and talking to you about :smile:. I did 7 days in total, it was a little boring in places because it was just sitting around, but I loved learning about all the modalities and stuff.
Can you get work experience for dietetics?

I'm only applying for diagnostic radiography at 5, there is not really any other career im considering (maybe teaching if this doesn't work out, but im optimistic it will :smile: ). Im looking at Derby, BCU, Exter, UWE and Bangor.

Also I love biology the most! I do physics too, which I enjoy but its very hard (especially when you have to pretty much teach yourself all of the content!)

Wow! I'm considering doing Dietetics at Notts aswell! :wink: does she go on TSR?

Yeah I'll apply for shadowing a radiographer soon. For dietetics,i've already shadowed a community dietician and have learnt some interesting stuff. I'm going to shadow a hospital dietician in a weeks time. It'll allow me to get a flavour of both environment. After shadowing a community dietician I was 50/50. I loved it how the job wasn't stressful and fairly easy if you kno what your saying.

Cool! It's ganna be hard to write a personal statement for teaching and radiography. :smile:
I don't think she is, but ive heard its a really good uni for that course.

You definatley look like youve got it sorted work experience wise, and also if you dont like stressful then radiography probably isnt the best second option :wink: its a very stressful job most of the time!

I'm only writing my personal statement for radiography this year, but if i dosent work out ill apply again next year and then if that doesnt work out i will consider teaching. but radiography is the career i really want so teaching is my last last resort :h:

good luck with everything!! :smile:

Really?Never knew notts uni is the best for that course ..

I just wanna explore more options

Sis says do law but that 's not for me lol

Thanks

Could you state some good sciencey degrees?
Original post by Uz25
Really?Never knew notts uni is the best for that course ..

I just wanna explore more options

Sis says do law but that 's not for me lol

Thanks

Could you state some good sciencey degrees?

well youve got your main chemistry, biology and physics, but you look like youre looking for health care professions rather than plain science so...

Physiotherapist
Radiotherapy
Operating practioner
speech and language therapist
doctor
nurse
dentist
occupational therapist
pharmasist
optician

its best to type it into google really :smile:
well youve got your main chemistry, biology and physics, but you look like youre looking for health care professions rather than plain science so...

Physiotherapist
Radiotherapy
Operating practioner
speech and language therapist
doctor
nurse
dentist
occupational therapist
pharmasist
optician

its best to type it into google really :smile:

Yhh i've explored several healthcare science careers in the UK. I found optometry interesting but I can't do it. I found clinical scientists interesting however , it's very lab based & very competitive with a lack of jobs.

I considered becoming a learning disability nurse however , they have to clean them :/
Reply 86
Original post by Uz25
I considered becoming a learning disability nurse however , they have to clean them :/

Most healthcare professionals have to clean patients at some point, radiographers included. If basic care puts you off then you should be looking elsewhere.
Original post by FXX
Most healthcare professionals have to clean patients at some point, radiographers included. If basic care puts you off then you should be looking elsewhere.

Wth no they don't! Radiographers don't clean poop or vomit or show how to dress or clean yourself up neither does dieticians.
Original post by Uz25
Yhh i've explored several healthcare science careers in the UK. I found optometry interesting but I can't do it. I found clinical scientists interesting however , it's very lab based & very competitive with a lack of jobs.

Have you had experience of cleaning and dressing people? Once you done one patient it won't phase you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Uz25
Wth no they don't! Radiographers don't clean poop or vomit or show how to dress or clean yourself up neither does dieticians.

i can garuntee you they do (well radiographers anyway) I saw it on my work experience :smile:
i can garuntee you they do (well radiographers anyway) I saw it on my work experience :smile:

Really :/ what do they do? Clean poo/ vomit?
Original post by Uz25
Really :/ what do they do? Clean poo/ vomit?

You'll be experiencing all kinds of wonderful bodily fluids when you're in A&E I'm sure. 😂

Also if things like that upset/disgust you, maybe this isn't the right area for you, unless you're willing to learn to get over it? It's not that bad.
Original post by lledrith
You'll be experiencing all kinds of wonderful bodily fluids when you're in A&E I'm sure. 😂

Also if things like that upset/disgust you, maybe this isn't the right area for you, unless you're willing to learn to get over it? It's not that bad.

Oh my. I'm not considering radiography no more so it's cool.

I'm still considering dietetics. I consider teaching but the qts exam is hard plus the profession is stressful. I don't think i'm up for that however, I might shadow one.

I like occupational therapy but you'll have to clean poop and vomit& show how to dress
Original post by Uz25

I like occupational therapy but you'll have to clean poop and vomit& show how to dress

I did personal care part time while studying for my Access Diploma, and honestly it's only a small part of an otherwise easy (and sometimes fun) job. It also looks pretty good on your PS too and is useful experience for patient care.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do though, I don't want to derail the original purpose of this thread.

Anyway! I'm going to keep following the thread and see if I can answer any questions for 2016 applicants later in the year as I begin my first year at Exeter! Good luck folks! :smile:
I'm applying to Exeter for diagnostic radiography!!! If you dont mind me asking how well organised have they been with stuff such as finding out interview dates and reading lists and stuff?

Thank you and im sure ill be askinf for your advice later on should all go to plan!

Good luck with your first year at uni! :h:

They were very proactive and helpful when it came to sorting out the dbs, health forms, and accommodation online. I already have my email address and Exeter student account! :smile:

The only 'err' moment I had was that they took so long to make an offer! I was interviewed on the 5th of February, and heard nothing until the 31st of March - slightly agonising compared to BCU, who replied in about a week... But I knew I wanted Exeter from the start, so it wasn't too big of a problem in the end.

I found the reading list for all the Exeter modules online with some Googling, but don't have official student access to a timetable or list yet. I'm hoping I'll be able to pick these up when online course registration opens tomorrow. :smile:

I'll let you know what the registration unlocks as soon as I find out myself. :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by lledrith
They were very proactive and helpful when it came to sorting out the dbs, health forms, and accommodation online. I already have my email address and Exeter student account! :smile:

The only 'err' moment I had was that they took so long to make an offer! I was interviewed on the 5th of February, and heard nothing until the 31st of March - slightly agonising compared to BCU, who replied in about a week... But I knew I wanted Exeter from the start, so it wasn't too big of a problem in the end.

I found the reading list for all the Exeter modules online with some Googling, but don't have official student access to a timetable or list yet. I'm hoping I'll be able to pick these up when online course registration opens tomorrow. :smile:

I'll let you know what the registration unlocks as soon as I find out myself. :biggrin:

Thank you very much! They seem fairly organised ehich is good especially with the dbs snd stuff.
Original post by Uz25

I think you will find FXX IS a qualified Radiographer and practising at the moment, so if he says you do, I am pretty sure you will!
Reply 97
hi I am thinking about applying to radiography this year.. I just wanted to know what grades people got in their AS & A2 year?
Thanks☺️
Reply 98
Wow you did so good in AS compared to me!😂
I'm currently taking biology, chemistry and English language and good luck to you too!! It's so hard trying to come up with things to write in my ps!!ahh
Hi Saraaax, I am in the same position! I got A's in AS Psychology, Physics and Biology. I also got an A* in A2 art. (I don't know how!)
Good luck with UCAS, its driving me mad at the moment :s-smilie: haha.

What A levels are you taking? (If you don't mind me asking?)
Original post by saraaax
Wow you did so good in AS compared to me!😂
I'm currently taking biology, chemistry and English language and good luck to you too!! It's so hard trying to come up with things to write in my ps!!ahh

Im sure you did great too, I owuld never be able to do chemistry (me and moles dont go well together)! and yes the personal statement is a pain to write :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest