The Student Room Group

Diagnostic Radiography 2016

So it's normally about this time of year a new thread starts for this course.
This is for those interested in studying Diagnostic Radiography (Undergraduate level) starting in 2016.
How is your personal statement going? What Unis are you looking at? How did interviews go (when they happen)? (that sort of thing)

Hopefully any questions you have can be answered by people on this thread. (I am applying for this course for 2016)

So if you feel like you need some social support throught the application process etc, then feel free to join the thread and hopefully we can all help eachother out :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by katecatfish
So it's normally about this time of year a new thread starts for this course.
This is for those interested in studying Diagnostic Radiography (Undergraduate level) starting in 2016.
How is your personal statement going? What Unis are you looking at? How did interviews go (when they happen)? (that sort of thing)

Hopefully any questions you have can be answered by people on this thread. (I am applying for this course for 2016)

So if you feel like you need some social support throught the application process etc, then feel free to join the thread and hopefully we can all help eachother out :smile:

Because I'm applying for med, I was looking at this as my back up (5th choice) :smile: I've done 2 weeks work experience under this department, it was quite interesting lol :P I might apply to City? Where are you thinking of applying to?
Ooh also I would appreciate (and im sure others would too) if current students were able to join the thread or could share their experience of the course! Thank you!!!!!

(No problem id not, im aware their are many radiography threads!) :tongue:
Reply 3
I have a place to study Diagnostic Radiography at BCU. I was studying at BCU a few years ago as a nursing student, but withdrew to pursue Radiography. Had to repeat my Access course again for the sake of a physics module which sucked, but I made it. Can't wait to start.

If anyone else is going to BCU to study Diagnostic Radiography, join the FB group here! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MrJay
I have a place to study Diagnostic Radiography at BCU. I was studying at BCU a few years ago as a nursing student, but withdrew to pursue Radiography. Had to repeat my Access course again for the sake of a physics module which sucked, but I made it. Can't wait to start.

If anyone else is going to BCU to study Diagnostic Radiography, join the FB group here! :smile:

Wow! that sounds like hard work to change course! I'm applying to BCu, I've heard mixed feelings about it to be honest, but I think overall it looks quite good (plus I did my work experience at their placement hospitals)

Good luck on starting the course :smile:
Reply 5
Wow! that sounds like hard work to change course! I'm applying to BCu, I've heard mixed feelings about it to be honest, but I think overall it looks quite good (plus I did my work experience at their placement hospitals)

Good luck on starting the course :smile:

It was hard work and took a lot of dedication and self motivation but thankfully I got through it.

I can honestly say BCU is a brilliant uni for health related courses. Having spent some time there already, there's no other uni I'd rather go to. It was my one and only choice so very happy to have got an offer.

Thanks, and good luck with your application. :smile:
Reply 6
That's good to hear, the students I spoke also said it was good, so I'll take their word for it, the only concern I have is how large the cohort size is. And thank you, I'll need all the luck I can get :h:

If I remember rightly the Radiography cohort at BCU is around 130.
I really want to do Radiography at BCU next year. I want to do this course through the British Army though! Also, I haven't done any work experiences regarding Radiography till now! Maybe, I should start applying somewhere!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Hi there! Going to apply for Radiography. Doing my Science Access course from September. I am applying Leeds, Bradford and Sheffield.
Reply 9
Original post by Mrs X
Hi there! Going to apply for Radiography. Doing my Science Access course from September. I am applying Leeds, Bradford and Sheffield.

Good luck! I completely my Access to Science course in June. It was quite tough but very much worth it. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by MrJay
Good luck! I completely my Access to Science course in June. It was quite tough but very much worth it. :smile:

Thanks!

Did it help you to get a place in radiography course?
Reply 11
Original post by Mrs X
Thanks!

Did it help you to get a place in radiography course?

Yes, I got all the grades required and I start my Radiography degree in September. :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by MrJay
Yes, I got all the grades required and I start my Radiography degree in September. :smile:

Its fine! What uni are you going to?
Reply 13
Original post by Mrs X
Its fine! What uni are you going to?

Birmingham City University.
Reply 14
Original post by MrJay
Birmingham City University.

Good! I think you will enjoy it ))
I've just completed my first year of radiography at Bradford, starting year 2 in September. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask them here or PM me, I'll give you a bit of an idea what to expect:
43 people in my cohort so not massive class sizes. Bradford itself is an absolute dump. Faculty of Health building is extremely modern and up to date, the facilities are very impressive and it was this that made me come here. Tuition is very classroom based, most of what you need to know for exams is taught to you, you're not expected to go away and research it all for yourself. If you take notes in class and follow instructions you'll be fine.
You do blocks of 4 or 5 weeks alternatively in the uni and on placement. This where you really learn about how to do the job, expect to spend 8 hours a day on your feet because this is how it works once you are qualified!
Overall I've had a fantastic year and really enjoyed myself, I would recommend Bradford uni to anyone, though if you're coming to uni for the night life more than the course then you may want to try looking at Leeds or Sheffield.
I spent my first year living at Laisteridge Lane with www.universalstudentliving.com I paid £55 a week for a cosy little room with a double bed and shared bathroom. Highly recommended, the uni owned digs are outrageously overpriced.
Original post by Adie_Bradford
I've just completed my first year of radiography at Bradford, starting year 2 in September. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask them here or PM me, I'll give you a bit of an idea what to expect:
43 people in my cohort so not massive class sizes. Bradford itself is an absolute dump. Faculty of Health building is extremely modern and up to date, the facilities are very impressive and it was this that made me come here. Tuition is very classroom based, most of what you need to know for exams is taught to you, you're not expected to go away and research it all for yourself. If you take notes in class and follow instructions you'll be fine.
You do blocks of 4 or 5 weeks alternatively in the uni and on placement. This where you really learn about how to do the job, expect to spend 8 hours a day on your feet because this is how it works once you are qualified!
Overall I've had a fantastic year and really enjoyed myself, I would recommend Bradford uni to anyone, though if you're coming to uni for the night life more than the course then you may want to try looking at Leeds or Sheffield.
I spent my first year living at Laisteridge Lane with www.universalstudentliving.com I paid £55 a week for a cosy little room with a double bed and shared bathroom. Highly recommended, the uni owned digs are outrageously overpriced.

Thank you this is really hekpful! (Eventhough im not applying here) how early on did you find out where your placement hospital would be and also how do you find the placements being split up (im worried that if you have a set of placements early on you wont be well prepared tp dp anything and get in everyones way)

Thank you and good luck for the rest of your studies! :-)
TBH the way Bradford works in this respect may or may not be how it works where you end up, where are you hoping to go?
We were asked very early in the course if we had a preference, as Bradford uni has a higher percentage of commuting students than any other uni in Britain most people ask to go to Bradford Royal Infirmary. The hospital I am placed at requires me to be on the bus before 7am and I get home about 6:30pm so it's a long day, but I like the hospital and the people.
I'd strongly recommend that you start studying a bit of anatomy to give yourself a head start, knowing every bone in the hands, arms, feet and legs is a good start. Not just the names of the bones but the different surfaces and suchlike.
Order yourself a copy of Bones & Joints by Gunn, ISNB 978 0 7020 5399 3, it's not cheap but I've almost worn my copy out in the first year!
Reply 18
Thank you this is really hekpful! (Eventhough im not applying here) how early on did you find out where your placement hospital would be and also how do you find the placements being split up (im worried that if you have a set of placements early on you wont be well prepared tp dp anything and get in everyones way)

Thank you and good luck for the rest of your studies! :-)

in Leeds uni you have to choose 2 different hospitals. They've got 4 hospitals: Leeds teaching, Harrogate, Hull and York. The first one is going to be you main and you will get place there on you 1 and 3 year. Second one - for your 2d year.
Reply 19
Subscribing... I've been qualified for three years now so happy to answer any questions about the 'real world' in radiography.

I also work in CT and MRI if you have any questions about those specifically.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest