The Student Room Group

A Level Options

Hi,
I'm currently thinking about my A Level options as I am nearing the end of my GCSEs. My interests include Geography and Biology but I am unsure of what careers they could open me up to in the future. My A Level options are as follows:
Geography, Biology, Chemistry, Maths OR
Geography, Biology, Chemisty, History

Which of the choices above are better, in the sense that they open up more doors to me and have a better chance of me getting in to university and what careers could I make of these options? Also, would universities (esp. Oxbridge) regard maths as an essential A Level if I wanted to take a science-related degree?

Thanks in advances and apologies for the long-winded query.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by NGExplorer
Hi,
I'm currently thinking about my A Level options as I am nearing the end of my GCSEs. My interests include Geography and Biology but I am unsure of what careers they could open me up to in the future. My A Level options are as follows:
Geography, Biology, Chemistry, Maths OR
Geography, Biology, Chemisty, History

Which of the choices above are better, in the sense that they open up more doors to me and have a better chance of me getting in to university and what careers could I make of these options? Also, would universities (esp. Oxbridge) regard maths as an essential A Level if I wanted to take a science-related degree?

Thanks in advances and apologies for the long-winded query.

Although all of the subjects you have picked, in both scenarios, are facilitating subjects and will open up many doors to you, I would advise picking Maths over History in this instance. Geography and History are both more essay-based, Humanities subjects so I would only choose one of those. Also, I think if you're leaning more towards a sciencey degree- evident by your first three options!- then Maths would help... it may actually be specified as a necessary subject for some science degrees at good universities.

This goes against my very nature advising against History- I want to study it at university!- but I think only one of Geography/History will provide the variety needed to keep your options well and truly open. Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Elisha Rebekah
Although all of the subjects you have picked, in both scenarios, are facilitating subjects and will open up many doors to you, I would advise picking Maths over History in this instance. Geography and History are both more essay-based, Humanities subjects so I would only choose one of those. Also, I think if you're leaning more towards a sciencey degree- evident by your first three options!- then Maths would help... it may actually be specified as a necessary subject for some science degrees at good universities.

This goes against my very nature advising against History- I want to study it at university!- but I think only one of Geography/History will provide the variety needed to keep your options well and truly open. Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks a lot for the advice :smile: It has definetly helped me decide on what to take.

Quick Reply

Latest