The Student Room Group

Graphics A-Level (Art Specification)

Anyone done it, specifically OCR Graphic Communication?

How hard is it to get at least an A grade at A2, how much work is needed? Is it a ton of sketchbook work like GCSE Art? Is a lot of drawing and handmade art required or can you get a good grade with mainly digital graphics?
This brings back memories.

I did A-Level Graphic Communication with OCR, 3 years ago.

Despite getting a grade A in GCSE Art, I thought it would be as "easy" with A-Level.

I was wrong :lol:

OCR are quite harsh with their markings, and my teacher at the time deceived me.

She told me that I got an "A", but OCR examiners gave me a "C".

It strongly depends on the teacher who is teaching the subject, and how much you want to achieve an "A" in Graphics.

The teacher I had only cared about filling the spaces on the course, so she can keep her job.

I hope you have a teacher who truly cares about your progress and are honest with their markings. Otherwise, it will be a huge struggle.

Other than that, Graphic Communication is a good subject and not all is based around using technology as I didn't like the idea of not working by hand.

All the best x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh yeah, a lot of work is needed on the course.

It's a HUGE leap between GCSE and A-Levels, so you have to advance your skills and produce work to a quality A-Level standard.

I didn't continue to A2, because only two of us got the highest grade in the class and many dropped out. Plus, I couldn't handle it anymore and wanted to chase my initial career, which meant that I had to pick up new subjects at a different college etc.

But, achieving a high grade at A-level is not easy. So, always work hard and never be afraid to ask your teacher for help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by babyshawte
Oh yeah, a lot of work is needed on the course.

It's a HUGE leap between GCSE and A-Levels, so you have to advance your skills and produce work to a quality A-Level standard.

I didn't continue to A2, because only two of us got the highest grade in the class and many dropped out. Plus, I couldn't handle it anymore and wanted to chase my initial career, which meant that I had to pick up new subjects at a different college etc.

But, achieving a high grade at A-level is not easy. So, always work hard and never be afraid to ask your teacher for help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice. :smile: I'm resitting AS, and for my GCSEs last year I got an A for Graphics but a C for Fine Art (simply because I prioritised Graphics > Fine Art and I'm not the best at drawing).

When you say produce work of A-Level quality what do you mean, how artistic and detailed does the work have to be? I'm good at graphic design, both digital and by hand, but when it comes to detailed artwork I suck at it which is why I'm choosing Graphics and not standard art.

I'm struggling to find any example work for A-Level Graphics of what an A grade piece of work is, so if you could possibly provide me with some examples of your own work etc. that would be extremely helpful. :h:

I'm trying to get an idea of what I'm getting into but can't. Since graphic design is so broad, I don't know what to expect when I start the course.

I've done GCSE so I expect there to be loads of sketchbook work and experimentation of mediums just like it; but the standard of quality difference and what makes an A grade for Graphics A-Level I can't grasp.
If its anything like Fine Art A-Level - you are going to find it very tough. If you don't keep up with yourself and once you begin to see yourself falling behind, no matter what you do, it will get ahead of you and with other subjects it becomes very stressful.
It is a giant amount of work which personally, I think is so stupid compared to any other subject. I am very good at managing my time but it get ridiculous as there becomes a point where you don't know if you have done enough work so you just drive to do as much as you can. ALL YEAR.
Generally, the majority of people who seem to do well are those who wish to pursue a creative career so are obviously more driven to make the work as opposed to seeing it as a gap fill to complete the A-Level.

(Speaking from experience this year as I just completed A2 Fine Art)

Quick Reply

Latest