The Student Room Group

What do you think of the immigration issue in the UK?

I think it wouldn't be happening if people weren't so power hungry. If more people with power and wealth helped the poorer countries then they wouldn't be desperate to come over to our countries. Let's just say the richer governments like the UK, US and some other European countries gave a few billion each to the third world places like Africa. Poverty would be gone after a while, quality of life would be better there and we would be able to cope with migration issues more easily. They may even be fully resolved. I know there's this thing about governments in debt and wanted to stay powerful but honestly, WHAT DOES IT MATTER? It's not likely that any debts will ever be paid off and money is circulated globally so much that no one can really say it's their's. So that's my say, I want to know what everyone else thinks.
Thanks
Original post by Guy123
I think it wouldn't be happening if people weren't so power hungry. If more people with power and wealth helped the poorer countries then they wouldn't be desperate to come over to our countries. Let's just say the richer governments like the UK, US and some other European countries gave a few billion each to the third world places like Africa. Poverty would be gone after a while, quality of life would be better there and we would be able to cope with migration issues more easily. They may even be fully resolved. I know there's this thing about governments in debt and wanted to stay powerful but honestly, WHAT DOES IT MATTER? It's not likely that any debts will ever be paid off and money is circulated globally so much that no one can really say it's their's. So that's my say, I want to know what everyone else thinks.
Thanks

Throwing money at problems hardly ever works. And it definitely would not work if given to third world countries with corrupt governments and ruled by terrorist organisations. Its a very complex issue which doesn't really have a solution right now and to be honest, I don't think there will be one for a long long time.
Why should we give aid?

We already give 0.7%, that puts us in the top 5 countries. And it's too much.

In fact, African economists are pissed off with receiving aid as most of it goes to corrupt governments which in turn empower them and make problem solving far harder.

The United Kingdom, United States, Germany, France, Netherlands, Belgium and a heap of other countries have developed without a single pound of aid and there's no requirement that we have to help others to do the same. If we can, others can.

If non-corrupt African governments want to actually help themselves and their people, let them do it on their own by tried and tested solutions, such as the Japanese turn-of-the-century reformations or Polish capitalist shock therapy.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by SotonianOne
Why should we give aid?

We already give 0.7%, that puts us in the top 5 countries. And it's too much.

In fact, African economists are pissed off with receiving aid as most of it goes to corrupt governments which in turn empower them and make problem solving far harder.

The United Kingdom, United States, Germany, France, Netherlands, Belgium and a heap of other countries have developed without a single pound of aid and there's no requirement that we have to help others to do the same. If we can, others can.

If non-corrupt African governments want to actually help themselves and their people, let them do it on their own by tried and tested solutions, such as the Japanese turn-of-the-century reformations or Polish capitalist shock therapy.

That's true actually, I never thought of it that way, it's everyone's own responsibility to control their country's economy and control their citizens.
Original post by Guy123
Thanks

LOL another guy who thinks that Africa should hold their hand out and the rest of the world should poor even more billions in than it already does.
India has made progress. China has made progress. Japan is the only country to have been attacked with nuclear weapons, twice, and it came back very strongly.

True, Africa has war to contend with. True, the UK got to where it is today with the help of an empire.
Well Europe has seen two world wars. They recovered quickly.

"Let's just say the richer governments like the UK, US and some other European countries gave a few billion each to the third world places like Africa."

The UK has ring fenced foreign aid I believe. And this 0.7% of GDP is billions. So your arguement obviously is just fantasy and idealism.

Bottom line is that Japan got a lot of support from the US post-war and look where they are. India and China, Brazil to, are moving up in the world. Sure, they aren't great. But they are developing.

African countries just sits there doing nothing for themselves except holding their hand out. Japan took that help and did a lot with it. Africa...doesn't. They are long free from the opressive British Empire. Long free. So why are they still wanting UK handouts?

Even if you did give more money it would only go to corrupt causes anyway. Might as well just burn it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Trade will cure Sub-Saharan Africa, not handouts. They should be encouraging western firms to come produce in Africa (bringing employment) and then try bring in measures like a minimum wage to increase purchasing power and fuel consumption.

The Middle East can't be cured by trade or handouts, it's simply too unstable to keep its gains over time (Syria will take 30 years even if the war ends tomorrow to recover it's GDP, Iran lost 20 years of GDP per capita after the revolution).
I think the government needs to focus more on sorting it out. In my opinion it's going out of hand.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending