The Student Room Group

Why was the train so expensive?

I got a train yesterday for a job interview it cost me nearly £70! It was only 61mins long. I usually pay about £10-15 for the same length journey. A 4.5 hour long journey cost me less than £60, so why was thst particular journey so crazy expensive???
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
First of all what time did you make the outward journey?
Reply 2
Supply and demand, plus a certain element of cartel business practices.
Reply 3
Looks like you were travelling on a peak service which explains why the train was £70
ah yea how did it go? :biggrin:
i told you i'd give you a ride innit :colonhash:
ah well too late.
how'd it go?
Aha I have a card that allows me to travel anywhere in UK for free for 5 days

I also have another priv card that allows me to pay 25% of the price anywhere in UK lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
with you there. are you the one who said it was door to door sales??
Reply 7
Original post by The_Blade

I also have another priv card that allows me to pay 25% of the price anywhere in UK lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for that excellent contribution to the discussion.
wait no office job?

gahhh :facepalm:
Railways use a form of charging called 'price targeting' which enables them to charge some people much more than others for the same journey. If you take the trouble, you can often find cheaper alternatives. I like this site:

https://www.splitticketing.com/

which finds you legal ways of combining tickets for parts of the journey. In your case the validity of day-returns would help you bring the cost down, possibly to about £20.
Original post by Reue
Thank you for that excellent contribution to the discussion.

:biggrin: it's the most helpful post yet imo

Posted from TSR Mobile
The trains are always a rip off
If cost £197 for an open return from Eaglscliffe (Around Stockton) to Kings Cross when I went down last summer. All I can say is thank god the BBC paid for it
Well you did have to change at Derby
oh right :biggrin: maybe next time try booking in advance and consider a longer journey if it would be cheaper
Because we have a tory government. Only the priveleged are allowed to use trains. The peasants should stay where they belong in the gutter.
If you chose to take the 0928 and change at Nuneaton then you paid a premium for the right to travel by one route outwards and return by another. I stand by my original claim ... you could save a lot by travelling via Derby and rebooking there (obv buying both tickets at Stoke).
Reply 16
When did you buy the train tickets? Not buying in advance usually leads to these ridiculous prices.
peak time and also you probably got your tickets near the time of travel (which is the expensive option).

I always buy advance tickets if I have to do a journey (at early notice)
:biggrin: it's the most helpful post yet imo

Posted from TSR Mobile

See how no one upvoted you? Think about that for a second.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you can travel anywhere in the UK, by any means, for however long you want, with some kind of 5 day pass that all companies accept?

Are you just talking about your mummy and daddies credit card or just talking out of your behind?

Quick Reply

Latest