The Student Room Group

Most remote place you've been to?

I'm fascinated by remote communities and/or islands :smile:

Apart from the Australian outback (Ayers Rock), the most remote place I've been to is Tuktoyaktuk in Canada.
It's an Inuit town with 850 inhabitants in the Northwest Territories that lies far north of the Arctic Circle and even north of the Arctic tree line, which means there is only tundra there. The town is accessible by ice road in winter and by plane only in summer (as there is no 'normal' road). I was there in April, so I was able to access it via the ice road. One part of the ice road is a frozen river, and towards the end you drive on the frozen Arctic Ocean. Awesome experience! I also tried dog sledding and ice fishing there.

In the future I would love to see the vast plains of Kazakhstan and Mongolia, and remote Pacific Islands such as Easter Island, Galapagos, French Polynesia, Pitcairn Islands, etc.
Reply 1
Original post by Vindobona
I'm fascinated by remote communities and/or islands :smile:

Apart from the Australian outback (Ayers Rock), the most remote place I've been to is Tuktoyaktuk in Canada.
It's an Inuit town with 850 inhabitants in the Northwest Territories that lies far north of the Arctic Circle and even north of the Arctic tree line, which means there is only tundra there. The town is accessible by ice road in winter and by plane only in summer (as there is no 'normal' road). I was there in April, so I was able to access it via the ice road. One part of the ice road is a frozen river, and towards the end you drive on the frozen Arctic Ocean. Awesome experience! I also tried dog sledding and ice fishing there.

In the future I would love to see the vast plains of Kazakhstan and Mongolia, and remote Pacific Islands such as Easter Island, Galapagos, French Polynesia, Pitcairn Islands, etc.

A village with about 50 people overlooking the foothills of the Himalayas in India. The views were breathtaking and it was where I did some volunteering!
I guess spending some time with some Bedouin guys out in the desert in Jordan..
The most remote place i hv been to is cisoka village in sumedang-indonesia. Its located on the hill and only for about 50 people there. No electric no school there but the view is super awesome

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kashofu village- on an island in the middle of a lake in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Beautiful place, desperately poor, lovely people who are lucky if they make 30. Not exactly full of tourists. Maybe not totally geographically remote, but in terms of culture/lifestyle/standard of living about as far from the UK as it's possible to get.

I've been to the great plains of Kazakhstan- they get a little monotonous after a few hours! Especially in winter.
Tomoudi in the Ivory Coast. It is a small village, where everyone knows everyone by name and are basically all up in each other's business. No washing machines so everything is done by hand, there is only hot water (with cold) during the day but only cold water during the night. There were frequent parties in the evening where the whole village gathered together at like 12-1am.

Only form of entertainment was chasing the chickens I swear
Hampstead Heath.
Reply 7
This isn't remote per say, but most Americans don't go to the Balken Penninsula. I've been there???
Reply 8
Mh, tough question. Beside various places in Iceland, in terms of 'geographically remote' probably a tent camp in the Etendeka Mountains of Damaraland, Namibia. Other than that, various villages in Ghana and Sierra Leone.
Possibly where I stayed in the Amazon rainforest. It was about four hours boat ride then an hour trek from Puerto Maldonado, which itself is a ~2 hour flight from Lima.

Quick Reply

Latest