The Student Room Group

Best degree to qualify for MSc in Artificial Intelligence or similar

Hi All,
I am a software engineer with 17 years of experience, most recently building large-scale web applications for the broadcast industry. I've decided to make a career change and study Artificial Intelligence.

The MSc courses I am considering applying for are (in no particular order):
Master in Artificial Intelligence - University of Barcelona
MSc Artificial Intelligence - Edinburgh
MSc Artificial Intelligence - Imperial
MSc Machine Learning - UCL
MSc Intelligent Systems - Kings College London
MSc AI with Robotics - Hertfordshire

I passed my A-levels in 1989 (Maths A, Physics A, Biology B) and I completed an HNC in Software Engineering (Distinction) at Brighton College of Technology (now Brighton City College) in 1999.

I'm trying to work out what is the best course to take in order to meet the entry requirements for a MSc. I live in London and couldn't relocate for at least 12 months.

I *might* be able to join an MSc Software Engineering at one of the London Uni's (maybe London City?) given my extensive professional experience.
More likely I can do a BSc (Hons) Computer Science at Birkbeck, Middlesex, Herts or Goldsmiths but maybe enter in the second or even third year.

Would it look better on my application to have an MSc Software Engineering or a BSc Computer Science? The BSc seems to have more appropriate course content but the MSc is a higher level qualification.

Also does anybody have opinions or info to share about BSc Computer Science top-up degrees at the London Uni's I mentioned above?

thanks in advance

Marcus
Reply 1
Contact the MSc admission tutors at those universities and ask them. With 17 years professional experience, you may not need to take any additional CS courses. Most AI/ML masters programs are happy to admit students with strong quantitative backgrounds (math/engineering/physics/etc) rather than just CS undergrads.

I suspect that the main concern is going to be your mathematical knowledge to be honest, machine learning courses make heavy use of statistics and require at least 1st year undergraduate level mathematical methods. How is your current familiarity with calculus/linear algebra/probability? If you haven't seen calculus since high school and/or are not comfortable working with vector spaces, your best bet may be to take a refresher mathematics course. A standard text would be something like Stroud - Engineering Mathematics. But again, the admission tutors would be able to give you more specific advice.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
That's interesting. I contacted the admissions people at Imperial and UCL and was told that a BSc (Hons) with a 2:1 was a minimum requirement and there is no point in applying without one.
I agree that I will find the maths hard, if I thought there was a chance that an application for a MSc would be accepted for this Autumn then I would start a suitable Maths course right away.
Reply 3
If you're going to do a BSc then have you considered the Open university? You could perhaps get some credit towards the first year from your previous qualification(not sure but might be worth checking with them). You might also be better off combining computer science with mathematics/statistics at undergrad level if you're planning to take a machine learning post grad course.

http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/q67

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending