The Student Room Group

Defrosting chicken

Let me preface this by acknowledging that I am in my 20s and I should definitely know better but I am an idiot. There we go.

So, I took some diced chicken out of the freezer last night and intended to put it in the fridge to defrost overnight. Standard

However, I left it on the counter overnight and only put it in the fridge this morning. I imagine you know where this is going... can I still cook it or do I need to throw the salmonella ridden poultry out?
I'd be worried. Does it smell? If so then straight in the bin. If not and you're feeling adventurous then go for it!
If it smells fine, you will be fine. I posted a similar thread on here a few weeks ago and paranoid people will telling me not to eat the meat but I did and nothing happened.
Original post by mindy123
Let me preface this by acknowledging that I am in my 20s and I should definitely know better but I am an idiot. There we go.

So, I took some diced chicken out of the freezer last night and intended to put it in the fridge to defrost overnight. Standard

However, I left it on the counter overnight and only put it in the fridge this morning. I imagine you know where this is going... can I still cook it or do I need to throw the salmonella ridden poultry out?

I do that a lot tbh. As long as it was only for a couple hours like less than 10 and the room wasn't sweltering.
It's not salmonella you need worry about these days so much, it's campylobacter. Not that it makes any difference when you can't move from the toilet for two days :tongue:

Anyway, I probably wouldn't risk it personally, but if you cook it thoroughly, it should be OK. Is it smelly or slimy at all?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by alleycat393
I'd be worried. Does it smell? If so then straight in the bin. If not and you're feeling adventurous then go for it!

Does raw chicken not always smell? What would it smell like if its gone bad?
Reply 6
Original post by Man.bear.pig
I do that a lot tbh. As long as it was only for a couple hours like less than 10 and the room wasn't sweltering.

Well it was more than a couple of hours, it was overnight so probably like 10 hours. It was a fairly cold room though, perils of living up north
Reply 7
Original post by Philbert
It's not salmonella you need worry about these days so much, it's campylobacter. Not that it makes any difference when you can't move from the toilet for two days :tongue:

Anyway, I probably wouldn't risk it personally, but if you cook it thoroughly, it should be OK. Is it smelly or slimy at all?

Hmm starting to think this is a get in the bin job.

I will open up the pack and see but I can't be bothered risking it for a 4 quid's worth of chicken.
Hmm starting to think this is a get in the bin job.

I will open up the pack and see but I can't be bothered risking it for a 4 quid's worth of chicken.

I always leave chicken out on the counter rather than fridge and haven't been sick yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by hermaphroditecat
I always leave chicken out on the counter rather than fridge and haven't been sick yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

now there's a curveball. how long do you leave it out for/

Overnight, never had any problems

Posted from TSR Mobile

plus it's been in a "packet" it'll be fine to cook, honestly
leave it under some cold running water for 15 minutes or so (assuming it's already thawed by now) before cooking it through thoroughly!
Original post by SamuelSingleton
leave it under some cold running water for 15 minutes or so (assuming it's already thawed by now) before cooking it through thoroughly!

I thought you're not allowed to wash chicken

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hermaphroditecat
I thought you're not allowed to wash chicken

Posted from TSR Mobile

it's fine if you don't leave it soaking in a bowl and don't use warm water.
(only use cold SLOW running water (otherwise water with bacteria will disperse), one of the most effective methods of thawing chicken quickly without bacteria, usually) so it applies here
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by SamuelSingleton

I see, cheers
The way I see my parents doing it, is you take it out of the freezer, leave it to defrost for 30 mins max, then put it in a pan with boiling water. Should kill all the bacteria, I guess.
Does raw chicken not always smell? What would it smell like if its gone bad?

Yes chicken does smell but if it's bad you can tell! I know people defrost meat on the counter and it's fine but I prefer to do it in the fridge. Having said that though in this case I'd only not eat it if it smells like it's gone off.
When in doubt, throw it out.
If it doesn't smell foul or look off then it's probably fine, just cook it a bit longer than you normally would.

Normally when I have frozen chicken I defrost it by throwing it into a pan of boiling water for about ten minutes. It rapidly defrosts and starts to cook it. When it's mostly defrosted I'll take it out, cut it up and fry it for whatever I am cooking.
Original post by AlphaDog0127
When in doubt, throw it out.
life's for livin, give the chicken a good grilling

ara go for it.im a chancer. once off is grand. just make sure it doesnt happen again sorta thing. otherwise chances are a tsr user you will be no more.

Quick Reply

Latest