The Student Room Group

Do I have a chance?

I feel that it's so important for me to go to a university which is either a Russell Group or ex-1994 Group (I know they don't exist anymore). Flicking through barrister profiles, I've rarely seen a barrister who has been to a university outside these groups. Despite what they say, they do look at university prestige - they would choose someone with a 2:1 from a Russell Group over someone with a 1st from (not being disrespectful) Bedford Uni.

I currently have an offer of AAB to do Law at University of Leicester, and I have no confidence that I've met that offer (the B offer in particular). I'm going to call my insurance choice (Nottingham Trent) in a couple of days and ask if I could be put in clearing instead if I get rejected by my firm.

If I get put into clearing, is there any chance I could be accepted by a Russell Group or ex-1994 Uni? Or do I only have a chance with the ex-polytechnics?

Again, I do not mean to disrespect anyone
Nah cuz im sorry :frown:
Original post by Not Anonymous
I feel that it's so important for me to go to a university which is either a Russell Group or ex-1994 Group (I know they don't exist anymore). Flicking through barrister profiles, I've rarely seen a barrister who has been to a university outside these groups. Despite what they say, they do look at university prestige - they would choose someone with a 2:1 from a Russell Group over someone with a 1st from (not being disrespectful) Bedford Uni.

I currently have an offer of AAB to do Law at University of Leicester, and I have no confidence that I've met that offer (the B offer in particular). I'm going to call my insurance choice (Nottingham Trent) in a couple of days and ask if I could be put in clearing instead if I get rejected by my firm.

If I get put into clearing, is there any chance I could be accepted by a Russell Group or ex-1994 Uni? Or do I only have a chance with the ex-polytechnics?

Again, I do not mean to disrespect anyone
What grades do you actually expect to get? AAC? And which subject is the low grade in?

There might be a chance although unless they're chockablock I would expect Leicester to accept you with a single missed grade unless it is in a vital subject.
Original post by Mike.Ross
Consider taking a year out.
In that year:
-Improve certain grades.
-Get relevant work experience.

Then apply to Universities that you want to get into.

Can't afford that, already retook Year 12, I don't want to be 2 years behind my friends

Original post by PQ
What grades do you actually expect to get? AAC? And which subject is the low grade in?

There might be a chance although unless they're chockablock I would expect Leicester to accept you with a single missed grade unless it is in a vital subject.

Well, I think I've done well in Religious Studies (anything ranging from A*-B - more likely A); did alright in Law (probably an A, although I think my Unit 4 exam let me down a bit). Sociology, the subject I need a B in, I think I've either gotten a C or D. My offer didn't include a grade in any particular subject

Law at Leicester is already in clearing (looking at the Telegraph), so it's given me a bit of hope I can be persuasive enough
Reply 4
Can't afford that, already retook Year 12, I don't want to be 2 years behind my friends

Fair enough if you simply can't afford it but if one of the main reasons you don't want to take the year out is because you don't want to be two years behind your friends that's just silly. 2 years is insignificant if it will allow you to go to a uni that you actually want to go to and somewhere that will help you get a job in your chosen career. Reevaluate your priorities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by goodwinning
Fair enough if you simply can't afford it but if one of the main reasons you don't want to take the year out is because you don't want to be two years behind your friends that's just silly. 2 years is insignificant if it will allow you to go to a uni that you actually want to go to and somewhere that will help you get a job in your chosen career. Reevaluate your priorities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand your point, but it is subjective. Obviously, my main reason is not because I don't want to be behind my friends, and it is not a priority, there are lots of other reasons as well.
Reevaluate your priorities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reevaluate your manners. There's no need to be so bossy or rude to someone just because you have a different opinion.
Reply 7
I understand your point, but it is subjective. Obviously, my main reason is not because I don't want to be behind my friends, and it is not a priority, there are lots of other reasons as well.

Good to know you see what I'm getting at instead of taking it the wrong way.

I hope you're able to figure out first and foremost what's right for you at your own pace. It's never a good idea to fall into the trap of thinking "I'm behind because this is what my peers are doing". Only does more harm than good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
Reevaluate your manners. There's no need to be so bossy or rude to someone just because you have a different opinion.

Calm down.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Again with the bossy :nope:
Don't want to turn this into an argument, it would have been a bit better if I didn't get a response for slating the way how I feel about this. Hopefully, although I'm asking this, it won't apply to me for results day.

But I don't want to end up giving up my insurance at Nottingham Trent if I'm going to make a loss being at a university that doesn't have a better university reputation than Trent

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending