The Student Room Group

Why has Aspartame flavouring been banned in the US but not UK?

Aspartame is a flavouring used in chewing gum and a lot of drinks. It has been banned in the US because it is a nerve poison, yet the UK hasn't banned it yet, why is this?

Scroll to see replies

Its banned in the US? lmao yet they havent banned all their MSG food aka Doritos? Which literally kills brain cells.
Original post by driftawaay
Its banned in the US? lmao yet they havent banned all their MSG food aka Doritos? Which literally kills brain cells.

Source? Or does it kill brain cells the same way vaccines cause autism? With no evidence, or shoddy evidence at best.

At OP how about you post a source that is causes nerve damage, and not that article from webMD but an actual credible source that hasn't already been long discredited.
(edited 8 years ago)
There's (probably) nothing wrong with it. Businesses in the US are dropping it because the people who complained about it are harming their sales :wink2:

Kind of sad really. Personally I love aspartame.
Original post by SophieSmall
Source? Or does it kill brain cells the same way vaccines cause autism? With no evidence, or shoddy evidence at best.

At OP how about you post a source that is causes nerve damage, and not that article from webMD but an actual credible source that hasn't already been long discredited.

You can look it up and decide for yourself if you are so interested.
Original post by driftawaay
You can look it up and decide for yourself if you are so interested.

You're the one who made the claim. If you're making a claim you should back it up.

And anyway, MSG is one of the many naturally occurring amino acids we're taught about. As well as one of the many we have gone over through scientific studies which have shown for it to be safe for human consumption within reasonable amount, with the exception of those with allergies to MSG. Currently as far as we've been taught and through all the studies we have gone through there have been no credible scientific studies to say otherwise.
Reply 6
Original post by + polarity -
There's (probably) nothing wrong with it. Businesses in the US are dropping it because the people who complained about it are harming their sales :wink2:

Experiments revealed that aspartame gave all the test rats cancer. That's enough to put me off.
Original post by Ciel.
Experiments revealed that aspartame gave all the test rats cancer. That's enough to put me off.

That study has long since been discredited, it was very poorly carried out and adequate control measures were not put in place to prevent other carcinogens being present in the rat's diets. As well as it later being found the rats were misdiagnosed and did not have malignant (cancerous) tumours.
Original post by Ciel.
Better quality studies repeatedly show no link.
Original post by Ciel.

Are you referring to this experiment? It doesn't look very good to me :tongue:
Gotta love people who believe anything that says "studies have shown" in front...
ITT: Scaremongering.
Original post by MrDystopia
ITT: Scaremongering.

This, and poor scientific understanding.

I stopped drinking full sugar drinks where possible in favour of things like aspartame. I've seen the science - sugar is known to be really harmful in the long term. Aspartame is one of the most studied food additives and there's nothing I've seen that is particularly worrying that isn't pseudoscience.

One also has to remember that Kinder Eggs are banned in the USA for safety. Just because the US bans something doesn't mean it's not OK.
Er..... When was it banned?
Original post by SophieSmall
That study has long since been discredited, it was very poorly carried out and adequate control measures were not put in place to prevent other carcinogens being present in the rat's diets. As well as it later being found the rats were misdiagnosed and did not have malignant (cancerous) tumours.

+ also the obvious - rats aren't humans
Original post by + polarity -

Aspartame is my favourite too!
Reply 16
Because they ban everything that's good for them.
America, where banning flavouring is customary but banning weapons is a ridiculous idea.
Original post by darkred
Aspartame is my favourite too!

Cool.
The U.S. has a strict human health department.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest