The Student Room Group

When would one start to be considered rich?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hihihihihi
Well he could earn 500k/year if he got a top position at a investment firm. :P I would love to earn this much one day. I wouldn't spend a majority of it and instead invest into property and get a passive income. My parents are getting 4.7% return a year on the house we rent out plus property prices are increasing.

Man 500k a year *o* Those are dem dreams. Though breaking past 200k is difficult :tongue:
Original post by ChickenMadness
lol at how spoilt tsr children are

"2 million pounds = not rich"

2 M is upper middle class tbh. Not saying it's little, but won't get you into the 1%
Original post by ibzombie96
Not liquid enough. I have many friends from old money backgrounds who have net worths in the tens of millions, yet live like paupers as their money is in property, not cash.

They are still rich though. Being unable to quickly liquidate assets does not mean that you don't own the assets. Wealth can be inaccessible in a hurry, but it is still wealth if it can be obtained in some sort of time frame. Also I am sceptical that they truly live as paupers yet have substantial properties, etc. With properties come rents, trusts, etc, etc. Some people choose to live in a poor way so as not to disturb rising investments, but that is very different to being a 'pauper'.
Original post by Imperion
Inherit your parents spending skills. They're really beast. 15k with a family, and they aren't complaining, that's an achievement.
What university are you at and what're you studying, if you don't mind. :smile:

I'll definitely be asking for tips 😂
University of Nottingham during Natural Sciences and then planning to do Graduate Entry Medicine 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
When you don't have to 'worry' about money and you're not relying on any individual(s) (e.g. parents).
Original post by kendellex
I'll definitely be asking for tips 😂
University of Nottingham during Natural Sciences and then planning to do Graduate Entry Medicine 😊
Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't forget to share some with me! :biggrin:

Nice :biggrin: Going into research or to be a doctor after your graduate degree?
Original post by Andrew657Thomas
Having a job that pays 60k+ A year

Then my family is rich.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Imperion
Man 500k a year *o* Those are dem dreams. Though breaking past 200k is difficult :tongue:

I know right.

Unless you are a top investment banker/CEO of a multinational/sports athelete. :tongue:
I know right.

Unless you are a top investment banker/CEO of a multinational/sports athelete. :tongue:

Yep :biggrin: That pic speaks the truth.
I know right.

That's what said guys dad does :lol: can't imagine it's a fun job though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by picklescamp
That's what said guys dad does :lol: can't imagine it's a fun job though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which guy?
Original post by SotonianOne
You mean all of the country below Birmingham?

I do, yes.

tbh even north of Birmingham I seriously doubt there are many places you can get a 4 bed semi for 45K. Plenty of areas in the north where prices are sky high in some cases exceeding the south.
I know right.

Really depends on where you start off from (I think inheritance matters a lot) and your own abilities to expand on that that base.

If you have assets that are earning you money without you even working, then that is the golden lifestyle I think.
I live in a 3 bedroom semi detached... Is that a shed to you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
4 bed @ 45k is most places.
Original post by Tom.x.Gotze
Really depends on where you start off from (I think inheritance matters a lot) and your own abilities to expand on that that base.

If you have assets that are earning you money without you even working, then that is the golden lifestyle I think.

Yes I know. Returns from investments are passive income, that picture mentions working from 9 to 5 (job). That is why I didn't mention business owners.
Original post by trustmeimlying1
4 bed @ 45k is most places.

You definitely live in an expensive area. Our average house price £145k.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You definitely live in an expensive area. Our average house price £145k.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm confused. You say the average house price in your area is £145K but you also said you can get a 4 bed semi for £45K?
When you directly benefit from the Tories being in power

Cause everyone gets cuts
Poor get spending cuts
And rich get tax cuts

BTW: Tax cuts can help the economy, but so can government spending
Original post by Tom.x.Gotze
Amount of properties?
Amount of money in the bank?

What is the UK average wealth?

£60k+ salary - More than double the UK average

£1.2m assets - London house prices are £600k rounded up so i doubled that.
Original post by will_jg
I'm confused. You say the average house price in your area is £145K but you also said you can get a 4 bed semi for £45K?

For my country 😊
So obviously we have expensive housing in areas but my postcode the prices are a lot lower

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest