The Student Room Group

HD Anti-Glare vs HD Glossy screen for a laptop?

Trying to buy a new laptop but stuck between selecting the Lenovo Z50 full HD glossy screen as against Dell Vostro's anti-glare screen. Any suggestions?
Original post by shakrocks
Trying to buy a new laptop but stuck between selecting the Lenovo Z50 full HD glossy screen as against Dell Vostro's anti-glare screen. Any suggestions?

Anti-Glare screen for sure. It feels better to touch, doesn't attract finger prints much and obviously - its anti-glare so it'll look better in the light.
Reply 2
Original post by bailfire
Anti-Glare screen for sure. It feels better to touch, doesn't attract finger prints much and obviously - its anti-glare so it'll look better in the light.

Thanks bailfire, those were exactly my thoughts. What about HDMI vs VGA port or HDMI and VGA together. As a student will I be using any of these?
Thanks bailfire, those were exactly my thoughts. What about HDMI vs VGA port or HDMI and VGA together. As a student will I be using any of these?

If I had a choice, I'd get both HDMI and VGA - BUT if I had to choose one, definitely HDMI - it supports higher resolution, sound etc. Plus you can always get a HDMI to VGA converter if you absolutely need to.
Reply 4
If I had a choice, I'd get both HDMI and VGA - BUT if I had to choose one, definitely HDMI - it supports higher resolution, sound etc. Plus you can always get a HDMI to VGA converter if you absolutely need to.

I am in a catch-22 situation now, the Lenovo comes with both the ports but a glossy FHD screen whereas the Dell comes with either of the ports and a 720p HD anti-glare screen. Your solution of using a converter is brilliant but as far as I have experienced majority of the projectors in office spaces use a VGA.
I am in a catch-22 situation now, the Lenovo comes with both the ports but a glossy FHD screen whereas the Dell comes with either of the ports and a 720p HD anti-glare screen. Your solution of using a converter is brilliant but as far as I have experienced majority of the projectors in office spaces use a VGA.

Kay, now you've said the specs. Go for the Lenovo. FHD is better and it has both ports. You can always pick up an anti glare screen protector off Amazon - they work just as well. Got one on my phone atm.
Reply 6
Kay, now you've said the specs. Go for the Lenovo. FHD is better and it has both ports. You can always pick up an anti glare screen protector off Amazon - they work just as well. Got one on my phone atm.

Sweet!! Thanks a lot for the help. Here is the laptop details,
Lenovo Z50-70 Core i5 (4th Gen) Silver
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-Z50-70-Processor-Resolution-Webcam/dp/B00MUROXU4/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1438265347&sr=1-3&keywords=lenovo+z50-70

Looks solid, how much are you paying?
Reply 8
Looks solid, how much are you paying?

Mine's with a 4GB RAM and a little over 500 GBP.
(edited 8 years ago)
Mine's with a 4GB RAM and a little over 500 GBP.

I think you could get a better one for 500
Reply 10
I think you could get a better one for 500

Any suggestions? I would love to hear which are the better ones out there.
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-aspire-v3-371-13-3-laptop-white-10029103-pdt.html
this is currently a popular option for a casual budget laptop:
anti glare 1920x1080 display - glossy tends to reflect more in sunlight but the colour is slightly better than other panels.
i5 processor, 6GB of RAM, uses a 120GB SSD (fast boot speeds - and unless you're doing video editing or ripping media files from somewhere you won't need much space) oh and has a HDMI

Matt screens. Shiny ones are a nightmare. My laptop's glossy screen is awful compared to my two matted desktop monitors...

Also, eww, VGA. HDMI and DVI all the way, VGA is being fazed out nowadays anyway...
Reply 13
Original post by Alexion
Matt screens. Shiny ones are a nightmare. My laptop's glossy screen is awful compared to my two matted desktop monitors...

Also, eww, VGA. HDMI and DVI all the way, VGA is being fazed out nowadays anyway...

Alexion, I had a dell vostro with a matte screen and it was awesome! Could you suggest a good laptop under 400 pounds. I do moderate design work on photoshop and illustrator. No 3D design and I am not much of a laptop gamer.
Alexion, I had a dell vostro with a matte screen and it was awesome! Could you suggest a good laptop under 400 pounds. I do moderate design work on photoshop and illustrator. No 3D design and I am not much of a laptop gamer.

I couldn't suggest one really. I'm more familiar with higher-end hardware (more in the £550+ range...)

I'm partial to ASUS, but only because a lot of my desktop components are ASUS. My laptop is an old Acer Aspire V3, it's a decent little thing, cost me £450 brand new.

The one that @tearteto suggested above looks like a pretty decent little thing, but make sure you do your research...

Hey,

Would you consider this?
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-z50-15-6-laptop-white-10108704-pdt.html Also has unidays instore discount

Quick Reply

Latest