The Student Room Group
Liverpool John Moores University
Liverpool

2nd Year LJMU Student - ask me anything :)

Hey I'm Hannah :smile:

I study BSc Forensic Psychology and Criminal Justice at LJMU.

I got a First in my first year, averaging at 84% throughout the year.

I stayed at Europa for first year and am now moving to The Arch for my second year.

Feel free to ask me anything about my course, LJMU, halls or anything else you can think of :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey

Just wondering how set the timetables are? I'm doing sports coaching and the provisional timetable at the moment means I won't be able to carry on with the coaching I do at the moment, which is really annoying. It's the one afternoon a week I hoped I'd be free :frown:

So just wondering how much the timetables change and do all lectures always go the full time?

Any help appreciated :smile:
Liverpool
When are the course finish dates?
Reply 3
Timetables are pretty set in stone now by this time of year, so you're going to have to rearrange your coaching or drop it completely.

In my experience lectures don't end early, they only ever end late, so don't count on being let out early haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Course finishing dates vary between courses, so unless you're doing my course I can't help you with that (email your personal tutor though and they will be able to tell you)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Third year LLB student joining in. Hi guys :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by posihannah

I stayed at Europa for first year and am now moving to The Arch for my second year.

Feel free to ask me anything about my course, LJMU, halls or anything else you can think of :smile:

Hey!
I'm starting this course in September. I'm really excited about it. Is it really hard? I'm not sure what I want to do when I graduate but I guess you find out about different careers during the course don't you? Also is it mostly coursework you do or is it a mixture of coursework, presentations, etc?
I'm so nervous! haha :-) x
Reply 7
Original post by Rikki95
Hey!
I'm starting this course in September. I'm really excited about it. Is it really hard? I'm not sure what I want to do when I graduate but I guess you find out about different careers during the course don't you? Also is it mostly coursework you do or is it a mixture of coursework, presentations, etc?
I'm so nervous! haha :-) x

It's a really interesting course!
Obviously difficulty will vary with different people, but for me it was nothing that wasn't doable (and that's including the dreaded research methods module).

Your modules for first year will be:
1) Criminal Justice and Criminology (3 essays and 1 exam)
2) Psychology Crime and Law. (1 essay and 1 presentation - no exam)
3) Research Methods and Statistics. (2 lab reports and 1 exam)
4) Developmental and Social Psychology. (8 online tests and 2 essays - no exam)
5) Learning, Cognitive and Biological Psychology. (2 essays and 1 exam).

The 2 'hardest' modules on this course are Research Methods and Learning, Cog and Bio, purely because of the high levels of content you need to learn, and trust me, you'll soon learn to hate SPSS!

We actually learn a lot about the different career paths you could go down with this degree, but don't worry about not knowing, I still don't really know what I want to do with it yet either!

If you have any more messages you can PM me on here if you want, or you can search for the courses Facebook page 'Forensic Psychology & Criminal Justice 2014-2017' and post a question on there for me to answer (I'm also the course rep for me year for this course)

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 8
Aw yeah that's a big help! Thank you for getting back to me :-)

When applying for accomodation what does it by "name of preffered hall"? :smile:
What is the chance of getting the 10k scholarship for an international student at LJMU if my As grades were AAA?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PlayerBB
What is the chance of getting the 10k scholarship for an international student at LJMU if my As grades were AAA?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you know if LJMU tend to drop entry requirements later on in clearing, im looking at psychology or similar subjects, on results day it dropped from 260 to 240, but has since gone back up, do you know any people on other courses or yours that managed to get in with slightly lower grades?
Hi Andy,

Have you tried calling the clearing line on 0500 564 565? You're best speaking to the people over there as the course leader might be on hand to chat to you. As far as I know, the tariff score requirements are subject to change during Clearing. For the best advice you need to speak directly to the Clearing Hub staff.

Kerri

Original post by Andysixx123
Do you know if LJMU tend to drop entry requirements later on in clearing, im looking at psychology or similar subjects, on results day it dropped from 260 to 240, but has since gone back up, do you know any people on other courses or yours that managed to get in with slightly lower grades?
Hey,

Have you just sat your AS levels so far? If so, it would be tough to say at this point, only six 10K scholarships are given out each year so I imagine it's quite competitive. Also, I think the 10K award isn't just based on having top grades. You won't know until you apply though. There are some other scholarships available that could be useful to you too.

You can find a breakdown with further info on each scholarship on the website page:

https://www.ljmu.ac.uk/study/undergraduate-students/scholarships-bursaries-and-fees/scholarships

If you'd like more information I'd email the scholarship team directly-[email protected].

Kerri

Original post by PlayerBB

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Liverpool John Moores
Hey,

Have you just sat your AS levels so far? If so, it would be tough to say at this point, only six 10K scholarships are given out each year so I imagine it's quite competitive. Also, I think the 10K award isn't just based on having top grades. You won't know until you apply though. There are some other scholarships available that could be useful to you too.

You can find a breakdown with further info on each scholarship on the website page:

https://www.ljmu.ac.uk/study/undergraduate-students/scholarships-bursaries-and-fees/scholarships

If you'd like more information I'd email the scholarship team directly-[email protected].

Kerri

Thank you! And yeah I have sat my As levels and got AAA, hopefully will be applying to Liverpool John Moore's university for pharmacy!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a bit late to this conversation but I just accepted a conditional offer to study this course. What's it like to study?
Original post by beccac3
Third year LLB student joining in. Hi guys :smile:

I've just finished first year and want to start ahead by getting some books out of the library for the core modules. Problem is, I don't know specifically which ones would be the most helpful. Any good recommendations?
Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending