The Student Room Group

Quick help with this Math problem.

I'm not very good at maths, so can I have some help with this math problem?

You work part time in a restaurant and earn £30 per week plus a quarter of the tips. The tips for this week are£17, £21, £34, £12, £56, £48 and £46.How much, in total, will you earn?

I don't even know what this kind of problem is? Ratio, addition, I'm clueless.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
And after that one, could someone help me with another one?

Shona works as a cleaner. The floor cleaner she uses needs to be diluted with water in a ratio of 1:6. If she uses 200 ml cleaner, how much water does she need?
Reply 2
There's also this problem too:

A £1,000,000 lottery win is shared between two people in the ratio 2:3. How much does each person get?
Original post by The Arrow

You work part time in a restaurant and earn £30 per week plus a quarter of the tips. The tips for this week are£17, £21, £34, £12, £56, £48 and £46.How much, in total, will you earn?

I'm terrible at maths but I think overall with the £30 and tips, it's £88.50

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Mike.Ross
Add all the £tips.
You earn: 1/4 of total tips + £30.

Spoiler

Original post by hermaphroditecat
I'm terrible at maths but I think overall with the £30 and tips, it's £88.50

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. I thought it was £230. I'm a bit worried about my math capabilities right now. Any tips on how I could improve?
And after that one, could someone help me with another one?

Shona works as a cleaner. The floor cleaner she uses needs to be diluted with water in a ratio of 1:6. If she uses 200 ml cleaner, how much water does she need?

I would do 200 x 6 which would make 200:1200

Posted from TSR Mobile

You get on quarter of the tips, so you get: 17/4 + 21/4 + 34/4 + 12/4 + 56/4 48/4 + 46/4. Added to that you get your 30.

So in total that is £58.50 + £30 = £88.50
Thanks. I thought it was £230. I'm a bit worried about my math capabilities right now. Any tips on how I could improve?

What I would do first is total of all the tips. Then, once you got that added half by 2 to find 50% then half that 50% to find 25%. This is due to 50/2 being 25 and then you add the £30 to the tips you've calculated. Message me if you need any help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
The sports club committee makes 14 litres of a lemon drink for the refreshments. They mix lemon concentrate and water in the ratio 2:5. How many litres of lemon concentrate do they use?
Reply 9
What I would do first is total of all the tips. Then, once you got that added half by 2 to find 50% then half that 50% to find 25%. This is due to 50/2 being 25 and then you add the £30 to the tips you've calculated. Message me if you need any help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks again.
There's also this problem too:

A £1,000,000 lottery win is shared between two people in the ratio 2:3. How much does each person get?

1000000/5 = 200000 2x 200000=400000 3x200000=600000 meaning it's 400000:600000

Posted from TSR Mobile
The sports club committee makes 14 litres of a lemon drink for the refreshments. They mix lemon concentrate and water in the ratio 2:5. How many litres of lemon concentrate do they use?

14/7 = 2 2x2=4 2x5=10 so 2 litres of lemon concentrate is used

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Steve needs to work out the area and the perimeter of the bathroom. Which formulae should he use?
14/7 = 2 2x2=4 2x5=10 so 2 litres of lemon concentrate is used

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry I mean 4 I misclicked. It's 4 litres of lemon concentrate used

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
I got 7 out of of 15 in a pre - level 2 test. (15 with you guys) I'm woeful at math. I was hoping to take the course, but i'm not good enough. thanks for the help guys.
Steve needs to work out the area and the perimeter of the bathroom. Which formulae should he use?

I'm not very good with shapes and that sort of stuff I steer well clear of that, sorry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got 7 out of of 15 in a pre - level 2 test. (15 with you guys) I'm woeful at math. I was hoping to take the course, but i'm not good enough. thanks for the help guys.

Hey buddy swing by khan academy.com and watch those videos

It will help you guaranteed

Well when you want to take the course feel free to message, I'll help as much as I can.😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mahswatch.
Reply 19
A mechanic has £90 to spend on leaflets to advertise his business. The printer gives him this list of costs. How many leaflets can the mechanic get for his £90?

A. Typesetting charge (one-off fee) £30

B. First 500 leaflets £10 per 100

C. Run-ons (over and above 500) £5 per 100

Quick Reply

Latest