The Student Room Group

Sainsburys Interview next week

Hello :biggrin:
I've been offered an interview and was told there would be 'activities' which will last 30 mins to an hour, I've heard about dvd and maths tests can anyone tell me more about them?
Also the typical questions they will ask etc. My hours would be Saturday- 1300 till 2100 (Is this even physically possible haha first job) and Sunday 1400 till 1800 both hours are an hour after closing time. What's it like working around those times.
Any tips and advice? :smile:
Reply 1
I don't work for Sainsburys but in my job it's very normal to work an 8 or 9 hour shift, sometimes more than that aha :smile: Working an hour after the store closes means you'll be helping to clean up and prepare the store for the next day, sometimes you get let out early if there isn't much to do.

As for activities they'll probably get you to do some task in the store but it'll be simple and someone will probably help you, it's just to get an idea what it'll be like working in the store. If your interview is with other people then there might be some team building activities as well like work in a team to design a product and pitch it to the others.

Hope that helps, good luck with your interview :smile:
I had an interview for Sainsbury's last friday (its also my first job, if i get it) and they gave me a tour of the store and told me to write down what i liked and what i didn't like about the isles, then they gave me a basket of stuff and to find the shelves to put it back on. then at the interview part they asked me about how well I can work in a team and I used my uni course as an example of good teamwork since my whole course is centered around teamwork. they also asked me about how I would get there, and to tell them a little about myself. I hope your interview goes well :smile: good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by DDarcy
I don't work for Sainsburys but in my job it's very normal to work an 8 or 9 hour shift, sometimes more than that aha :smile: Working an hour after the store closes means you'll be helping to clean up and prepare the store for the next day, sometimes you get let out early if there isn't much to do.

As for activities they'll probably get you to do some task in the store but it'll be simple and someone will probably help you, it's just to get an idea what it'll be like working in the store. If your interview is with other people then there might be some team building activities as well like work in a team to design a product and pitch it to the others.

Hope that helps, good luck with your interview :smile:

Ohh think I'd be knackered then again i guess it's equivalent to college hours so hopefully i'd manage. Although that would be my weekends out the window :'(
Thank you :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Aztec Chic
Ohh think I'd be knackered then again i guess it's equivalent to college hours so hopefully i'd manage. Although that would be my weekends out the window :'(
Thank you :smile:

To start with it seems so long but you'll be amazed how quickly you get used to it aha.
Reply 5
Original post by HeatherSannachan
I had an interview for Sainsbury's last friday (its also my first job, if i get it) and they gave me a tour of the store and told me to write down what i liked and what i didn't like about the isles, then they gave me a basket of stuff and to find the shelves to put it back on. then at the interview part they asked me about how well I can work in a team and I used my uni course as an example of good teamwork since my whole course is centered around teamwork. they also asked me about how I would get there, and to tell them a little about myself. I hope your interview goes well :smile: good luck!

So there are different parts to the interview, were there any group activities or was everything one on one? I guess you didn't have to do a maths test or watch a dvd where you had to write down the issues?
What post did you apply for? I went for general assistant.
Thank you, hope you get the job! :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
So there are different parts to the interview, were there any group activities or was everything one on one? I guess you didn't have to do a maths test or watch a dvd where you had to write down the issues?
What post did you apply for? I went for general assistant.
Thank you, hope you get the job! :biggrin:

There was another guy there, we did the tour, writing down what we liked and disliked, and putting the stuff from the baskets back together, but the interview was individual. My friend works for Sainsburys and mentioned getting a video, but I didn't get that (which I was looking forward to!) I've applied for Online Orders, collecting peoples shopping really early in the morning before uni, I can't imagine many people have applied for it, so i'm feeling confident :P also don't forget to take your passport and proof of where you live eg. a bank letter! If you don't have either, they won't interview you!
Reply 7
I've applied for Online Orders, collecting peoples shopping really early in the morning before uni, I can't imagine many people have applied for it, so i'm feeling confident :P also don't forget to take your passport and proof of where you live eg. a bank letter! If you don't have either, they won't interview you!

Couldn't imagine doing that either not a morning person haha. They've given me a list of things to bring so i'll make sure I remember to take them all. Also they asked about my second reference who was like a family friend but said they need a work email or address, why do you think that is?
Also they asked about my second reference who was like a family friend but said they need a work email or address, why do you think that is?

Probably so that they can email them to ask and make sure you're reliable and not some kind of psycho killer :biggrin: haha I'm joking, they'll just want to check that they're hiring the right person for the job, and if they give you a good reference then you're much more likely to be hired :smile:
Reply 9
Probably so that they can email them to ask and make sure you're reliable and not some kind of psycho killer :biggrin: haha I'm joking, they'll just want to check that they're hiring the right person for the job, and if they give you a good reference then you're much more likely to be hired :smile:

haha sounds reasonable, it's just they seemed more bothered that the second reference was not a 'professional' or something as my first reference was my college tutor. Hopefully it's nothing much
(edited 8 years ago)
haha sounds reasonable, it's just they seemed more bothered that the second reference was a 'professional' or something as my first reference was my college tutor. Hopefully it's nothing much

If they have any questions about who your referees are, they'll mention it at the interview. the guy that interviewed me asked me about my second reference too since i volunteer for her so she's not really a previous employer or anything but I'm sure it'll be fine :thumbsup:

Quick Reply